X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new designed light bulb

An amazing story! Click on the link below.

How plastic bottles can lighten up the darkness. [VIDEO]

Cactus Man

Re: new designed light bulb

A good idea. I would think that the algaecide/bleach would have to be renewed periodically, though. The sunlight will probably break down the plastic over time, too.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

amazing what one can do with nearly nothing, if one wants to,

we are truly blessed in this country,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

very impressive with what little they have to work with.

many years ago i had a 5 gallon glass sparkletts bottle that was sitting in the shop office. at the right time of day with the sun and water at the right level, the glass and water acted as a magnifying glass and was burning a streak on the wood desk top. there was actually smoke coming from the desk.

imagine a 5 gallon bottle as a light fixture.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          imagine a 5 gallon bottle as a light fixture.
          imagine the amount of silicone needed to hold that weight in the thin steel roof. Would that be Silicone 2 or 3? Maybe some duct tape or foil tape too...
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It's probably just as much "friction" holding the bottle than the actual silicone. I would think the sealant is mostly to keep out the rain.

I recall seeing another, similar video a year or so ago. I don't recall it mentioning any "algae" though. Basically the bottle was just a transducer of sunlight (a really rough version of fiber optics). Pretty neat though, and just goes to show what a little bit of innovative thinking can do.

When I used to work on the drawing board back in the 60's and 70's, I always thought it was neat the way a simple plastic triangle could pick up light and transfer it through its polished edge, especially neat when they came out with the florescent plastic stuff.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

In Most of Traditional Resorts, this kind of idea is accepting and its quit different and looks so beutiful also.

Comment

Working...
              X