X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on which wire strippers to go for

Just out of interest, who uses which wire strippers? Seen all sorts about but I've stuck to my old plier type wire strippers, anyone use the automatic ones like these and are they any good?

12 42 195 - KNIPEX - WIRE STRIPPER, 7-32AWG, 10MM | Newark

There are so many wire strippers not sure which to go for.

I will need something that I can use everyday and will last a good few years.

Re: Need advice on which wire strippers to go for

I don't care for that style of wire strippers. They work ok when new but they start to slip after a while. They are bulky, expensive and are for use with stranded wire. What size wires will you be stripping? You could buy this style 11046 - KLEIN TOOLS - WIRE STRIPPERS | Newark in several capacities and still be under the $160 that Knipex strippers will set you back.

Comment

the klein tool wire striper, is what I like
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There is a lot of really nice strippers out there but Id rather buy a few cheapo ones, than buy one fancy one. They wear out too quickly for me.

Comment

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Just Klien side cutters for ever on romex,for Me
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'd say it boils down to what type of work you are doing.

House wiring/general work then maybe all you need is a pair of trusty
              linesmans pliers or basic wire strippers like the Klien models suggested.

If you are doing more precision work where ANY nick in the wire is not tolerated
              and will be crimp type terminals that must be compressed to a specified value then
              you will need calibrated strippers and calibrated crimpers with a Go/No-go gauge for
              each wire size of crimp you plan to make.

Basic electronics work will fall in between these two.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                There is a lot of really nice strippers out there but Id rather buy a few cheapo ones, than buy one fancy one. They wear out too quickly for me.
                That Knipex stripper will most likely never wear out at all.
                Although for an "electrical installer" that is typically not a preferred style.

I do have a similar kind that I use at home for automotive and similar use, mainly stripping a small amount for terminal crimping.

Comment

The craftsman one is great. It's an exact replica of the Klein style, not the one you used but the other longer one . Plus there lifetime replacement,
                  PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

Working...
                  X