Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Connect garage Firex smoke alarm to house interconnected smoke alarms? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect garage Firex smoke alarm to house interconnected smoke alarms?

Can I operate a Firex 120VAC smoke alarm with 9-Volt battery backup on our garage electrical circuit and have a separate telephone line running into the house to set off our interconnected house Firex smoke alarms?
    I am concerned that if the garage smoke alarm sounds, no one may hear it.

Though it is not rated for such cold locations, it is better than nothing and does work in cold!
    The house smoke alarms are interconnected through 14-3 AWG cable on their own dedicated circuit.

Is there an issue of the alarm trigger wire "connecting" two circuits or the telephone wire circuit not also being 14 AWG?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Connect garage Firex smoke alarm to house interconnected smoke alarms?

You can, but it wont be to code, and could possibly damage the electronics in your smoke. Because, the red wire is the 9v positive DC trigger, and the negative would have to travel on the ground of your house wiring much farther. I would just run a 14-3 to the inside smoke and have them all on the same circuit. One caveat is your garage needs GFCI protection and your might need to change the breaker

Aside from that there are supervisory relays you could use. Must follow instructions too.
    Last edited by johncameron; 02-02-2013, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X