basement wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement wires

I am finishing my basement. I have replaced those metal conduits with remax and plan to build a soffit for them to stay for easy access. I didn't drill holes and just attached them to the bottom of the joists. Is this ok? Do I need to staple them to the bottom of the joists? Please tell me anything wrong there.

not done yet, that big conduit will be replaced next weekend.

thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: basement wires

That's pretty ugly!

You do have a building permit to redo the electrical?
    You are getting advice from a licensed electrician?

what I'm seeing is no where near the electrical building code
    This can bite you in the behind when you have an electrical fire
    and your homeowner's insurance refuses to pay the claim because
    of improper work and no permits!

I'm just saying.......

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
      what I'm seeing is no where near the electrical building code
      inside the box or at the top right corner above the box or wires under the joists?

Comment

the code says you may snake wires and not support them with staples if there is no access, like snaking a wire down a wall or a joist bay when sheet rocked. If there is access the wires should be drilled through the joists if they are smaller than #8. Larger wire cables can be stapled to the joists underneath. This is a technicality. If you built the soffet now that the wires are run you can make the argument to an inspector that the soffet is there and you can't drill the joists so you took advantage of the code that says you can snake wires in an inaccessible area. So you see it is a technicality the way I see it. I would build the soffet around the wires now, you can sheet rock it later.

Comment

It's definitely ugly, haphazard, and not code.

There's too many wires in that bundle.

There's low and high voltage wires mixed.

There's more than one wire in the panel adapters.

Are the wires even the right size?

Wire nuts in the panel...really?

I would guess that there was no permit, no inspection.

the code says you may snake wires and not support them with staples if there is no access, like snaking a wire down a wall or a joist bay when sheet rocked. If there is access the wires should be drilled through the joists if they are smaller than #8. Larger wire cables can be stapled to the joists underneath. This is a technicality. If you built the soffet now that the wires are run you can make the argument to an inspector that the soffet is there and you can't drill the joists so you took advantage of the code that says you can snake wires in an inaccessible area. So you see it is a technicality the way I see it. I would build the soffet around the wires now, you can sheet rock it later.
          Advice such as this with work as pictured is foolhardy. If the work is really going to be inspected the inspector will see new wood against old. Not to mention a 'different' style of new work. It will probably have to be torn out and redone.

My suggestion - have a qualified electrician do the job.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Not even close... hire an electrician. Don't risk it.

Comment

according to your listed location - boston, ma - you cannot do this work legally. the cities follow a statewide code.

Electrical, Plumbing, and Gas Permits | City of Boston

Electrical, Gas Fitting, Plumbing and Fire Alarm Permits must be applied for and obtained by a licensed professional.
              ~~

Comment

There are so many violations just from those few pics I don't know where to begin. As others said, you need a licenced electrician. There are things you don't have a clue about. For instance, If you are finishing the basement this adds an additional load to the panel and a load calculation needs to be done on all the circuits of the house (this is a complex procedure) and everything must be brought up to current codes. Just about every diy job I've ever seen is done incorrectly (I've been a Master Electrician for 25 years)

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                  (I've been a Master Electrician for 25 years)
                  This should be put into your "Occupation" description.
                  ~~

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
                    Please tell me anything wrong there.
                    oh boy I see a white conductor going to a double pole breaker and it has not been reidentified as hot. Right side spots 18 & 20
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rosem637 View Post
                      oh boy I see a white conductor going to a double pole breaker and it has not been reidentified as hot. Right side spots 18 & 20
                      That is an old breaker. That requirement is newer than the breaker/installation IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                        That is an old breaker. That requirement is newer than the breaker/installation IMO.
                        Just looked again. Spots 22 & 24 has the white reidentified.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X