Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Please start another thread and rant away. I like to learn that way. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please start another thread and rant away. I like to learn that way.

Well here goes... I don't like the fact that someone like a big box store can make false advertisements.
    A very good for instance: I used to sell Myers Sump and Sewage Pumps. I bought them from the manufacturer (Pentair). The same pumps were sold under the "Water Ace" brand name. They were brown instead of Myers Green. They were the same exact pumps I sold (for all intents and purposes, hard telling what the inside of the pump looked like) but my 1/4 hp was their 1/3 hp. My 1/3 hp was their 1/2 hp. The same exact pump I sold (of higher quality probably) was always claimed to be the next step in horsepower at their store. I'm not only surprised that the stores get away with it, but am also amazed that Pentair allowed it to go on.

Problem is, the general public isn't aware of these things and go buy this stuff blindly.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Re: Please start another thread and rant away. I like to learn that way.

How did you confirm the HP ratings or both pumps?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The pumps look different. Even though they have different model numbers, they are the same pump. The 1/4hp was the only one that looked the way it did. Their pump looked just like my 1/4hp, but they called it a 1/3rd hp. And so on.

Comment

Looking at housing isn't an indicator of HP. In ISE food waste disposers 1/3hp and 1/2 hp are the same dimensions.

Comment

In garbage disposals that's true. Not true with Myers Sump Pumps.

Comment

Unless you have 100% undeniable proof that the motors in both series of pumps are indeed identical then your claim isn't any more truth worthy then theirs is. I'm not saying you're telling lies but you may be uninformed. There is a reason that all those big box corporations have huge legal departments after all.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger is right....to post that their pumps are mislabeling hp because of how something looks is asking for trouble....especially since they're your competition. Plus you're a "pump tech" and don't even compare the inside of the pumps but are making the claim based on paint color and motor dimensions. Not good. I smell a salesman.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Think what you want. And I'm not afraid of their lawyers because of several things. First of all, I do not have full control of my posts. I have been misquoted before on another forum by a Moderator that could change my post to anything he wanted. That and it's my opinion, which I'm entitled to. Don't think I'm just picking on the big box stores. Spa manufacturers and compresser manufacturers have been doing it for years. It's no big secret!

By the way, I don't sell them on the Internet, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I haven't sold Myers for several years now.
                Last edited by speedbump; 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Unscrupulous vendors sometimes publish maximum "developed" horsepower
                  to make their products seem more capable than they really are.
                  Developed horsepower may be two to five times the continuous duty
                  rating of a motor. Such products should be examined to discover the
                  continuous duty rating to compare with other, more conservatively
                  rated products.

Comment

Unscrupulous vendors sometimes publish maximum "developed" horsepower
                    to make their products seem more capable than they really are.
                    Developed horsepower may be two to five times the continuous duty
                    rating of a motor. Such products should be examined to discover the
                    continuous duty rating to compare with other, more conservatively
                    rated products.
                    How true, and they hide behind this new unproved form of rating products to protect them from the so called Consumer Protection Agencies that supposedly keep this type of thing from happening.

Comment

I believe the sam accusations have been made about Trane and their fan motors.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

For a time, and apparently still are, 6 horse power shop vacuum cleaners, that would operate on a 120 15 amp circuit, I am thinking the rating was stretched some.

CRAFTSMAN Wet/Dry Vacuum, 6 HP, 16 Gal. - Wet and Dry Vacuums - 8CY15|9-17761 - Grainger Industrial Supply

and I think we have all seen 6 hp rated air compressors that would run on the same 15 amp 120 volt, circuit,
                        here is one yet, Craftsman 9-19541/R Price: $515.0 that is rated for 6hp, and runs on 15 amp 120 volt circuit according to the spec,
                        Voltage : 120V
                        Capacity : 25gal
                        Horse Power : 6HP
                        Current : 15A
                        Dimension : 41-3/4" L x 19" W x 32-3/4" H
                        1 horsepower = 745.699872 watts
                        120 x 15 = 1800 / 745 = 2.41 hp max out of a 15 amp circuit, and that is with a 100% efficient motor that can produce one horse power with 745 watts, and my guess is most motors would take 800 to 900 watts for a true horse power, (at one time I read to use 1000 watts to estimate the HP produced by a electric motor due to inefficiencies in most units ).
                        Last edited by BHD; 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I think the only way to tell if both pumps are the same is a full disassembly and a part for part comparison. Based on your assumption, the only differences found should be the paint color and the label. Without a full disassembly comparison the opinion is unsupported.

edit: if they are in fact the same, that makes the companies open for lawsuits. Ask Briggs and Stratton how that turned out for them...
                          Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

[QUOTEBased on your assumption, the only differences found should be the paint color and the label. Without a full disassembly comparison the opinion is unsupported.][/QUOTE]

Actually, it's real hard to tear an oil filled sump pump apart and access the motors attributes as compared to another. The easiest way would be to measure the windings ohm readings. Or to put the pumps in an identical environment and compare the gpm flow and the amp readings.

I wasn't willing to buy a big box store pump to make that comparison, but if you find someone who is willing to do that, you will probably find that the pumps are the same, or the brown ones are actually less quality than the green ones. Just my opinion, don't start your lawsuit just yet.

For the attorneys out there, I thought this was a mechanical forum for the most part. But when someone starts defending this sort of thing, I kind of think there is a reason for it. If I'm wrong, please let me know what I'm missing.

Comment

Working...
                            X