To change panel or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To change panel or not

replacing the panel is an option but first consider if the wire is up to the task
    what is the loads you are going to put on it?
    I recently installed a 200 amp panel but ripped out all the old wire and replaced it with new (proper size)
    the original wiring was for a 60 amp service and would not have been safe to install a 200 amp panel on it.
    if you are attempting to do this your self i would suggest at least having an electrician run a megger test on the wiring (this will expose weak wire insulation)
    as for recommending you do it yourself (the wiring) two words Please Don't
    I wont let my apprentices wire circuits until after their third year of training (with exception to the circuit training boards )
    safety wise and insurance wise you should replace all the wiring
    who knows how much of it is heat damaged over the years

and i agree zinsco panels are trash and accidents waiting to happen
    Last edited by gnuuser; 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM.
    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Gnuuser ,Welcome to the forum. Your advice is spot on , And i like the soft slap about do it Yourself ,Not ! Hope You post more often. Megga testers are big $$ . Can they be rented ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i dont know if they can be rented but they are worth the cost
        safety is my primary concern and i'll probably drive you guys nuts with it.
        (i don't like loosing friends to accidents or injuries)
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
        X