Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Arc fault receptacles coming to my elec. Supply house next week Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc fault receptacles coming to my elec. Supply house next week

I won't have to install them in the panel. It will be interesting to see how they're received
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Arc fault receptacles coming to my elec. Supply house next week

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    I won't have to install them in the panel.
    So you'd rather meet the requirements of 210.21(A)Exc.#1 than use an AFCI breaker?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
      So you'd rather meet the requirements of 210.21(A)Exc.#1 than use an AFCI breaker?
      Pete ,I'm fishing for input. Would this Help with old ungrounded Homes ? Thanks Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Isnt it always better to have the unit in the panel rather than at the end?

How does an afci recept. protect against arc faults in the wiring?
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Isn't the main concern being a lamp cord or extension type cord running in a bedroom that got pinched. Wasn't intended to protect wire inside conduit. That's why its required in bedrooms, not bathrooms, kitchens. Just like a gfci was designed for.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

My guess a lot of Qualified folks put a lot of thought into this . No hub wasn't well received either . How many of You don't use them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              Isnt it always better to have the unit in the panel rather than at the end?

How does an afci recept. protect against arc faults in the wiring?
              Yes, but there are times when an AFCI will not fit in the panel and it would be easier to just add a receptacle. (eg, where space saver tandem breakers are used)

The AFCI recept would only protect arc faults downstream in the wiring (wiring connected on the load side)

Yes, lamp cord or extension cords are a main concern but afci will also pick up wiring faults.
              AFCI's will protect both against line to neutral, and line to ground faults.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                Yes, but there are times when an AFCI will not fit in the panel and it would be easier to just add a receptacle. (eg, where space saver tandem breakers are used)

The AFCI recept would only protect arc faults downstream in the wiring (wiring connected on the load side)

Yes, lamp cord or extension cords are a main concern but afci will also pick up wiring faults.
                AFCI's will protect both against line to neutral, and line to ground faults.
                That's Why I love this forum, Great Information , to help Us all . Thank You John.

Comment

When the new NEC code comes out Jan 2014 these will fly off the shelf. Mike Holt has good info on these

Comment

When the new NEC code comes out Jan 2014 these will fly off the shelf. Mike Holt has good info on these
                    Well, maybe when NFPA 70-2014 gets accepted as the governing code in your state they will. Here, they are slow to adopt the latest revs, we seem to stay about one rev behind on the NEC and the plumbing codes as well as the others. Last I checked we were still using the 09 plumbing code here in NJ, but I have not checked the State DCA website since the beginning of the year to see if they adopted a later version for 2013.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

On a final inspection the other day this was said. We will see much more Arc Fault requirements Next Jan. It was a Gal teaching the ropes to a new, formally counter Guy.

Comment

Outside of a main breaker AFCI just how much more stringent could AFCI requirements possibly get???

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                          Outside of a main breaker AFCI just how much more stringent could AFCI requirements possibly get???
                          A LOT ! Proposed revision for 2014 NEC NFPA70 AFCI for dwellings Family rooms,living rooms,parlors,Libraries,dens,bedrooms,sunrooms,rec reation rooms,closets,hallways

Comment

A LOT ! Proposed revision for 2014 NEC NFPA70 AFCI for dwellings Family rooms,living rooms,parlors,Libraries,dens,bedrooms,sunrooms,rec reation rooms,closets,hallways
                            That's already in the 2011.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
                            (A)
                            Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Comment

Remember that sates can and do replace sections of code with their own interpretation or requirements.
                              So a article in the NEC (or any other code) can be stricken out and replaced by something that the State
                              chooses which can be even more stringent.

The state amendment might say that existing structures do not have to be upgraded UNLESS the breaker
                              is being replaced. A new circuit would most likely require the AFCI to be installed as would all new construction.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X