Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What panels do you prefer and why ?

SQUARE D , GE, MURREY Ect. Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: What panels do you prefer and why ?

I'm not an electrician, but I like Square-D, and its what I select at work for new work I
    plan unless its going into existing equipment and have to match what's already there.

At home all my panels, breakers, disconnects, etc are Square-D, and every home I have
    lived in and upgraded the main panel or added sub panels to I have used Square-D.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I like Square D, I have used other, (our local suppler would buy th cheapest stuff out there and charge the most for it and usually they had Murry or GE, and may be that is why I like square D) when a diffrent supplyer arived in the area and could get Square D, I am not sure that the home line is any better than the other brands but I think Square D is some better than the others, I like it better, our local electricians use Square D as well, my son in law who is a master electriction likes Square D, Not sure why, but I know he dose top quality work,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here in NY's southern tier, Square D seems to be the preferred panel and that is what I have here in this house (now seven years old) when I first bought it and had the service upgraded. Last fall I had service (100 amp) added to my detached garage and that too is a Square D panel.

Back in Painted Post, I put in a new service (150 amp) almost 20 years ago and there used a different brand panel, because that is what the local pro-electrical supplier carried. That panel maker is no longer in the business, and a couple of years ago when I went to add some additional circuits I could no longer find that brand of circuit breakers. Seimens' (IIRC) breakers do fit it, but I had to ask around to find that recommendation. I mention that because I think it wise to stick with what is popular.

BTW, I am not an electrician... just a handy homeowner,

CWS

Comment

Square D

Comment

I'd suggest you contact your electric company and local electrical building inspector.
            they may have a preference! and that may influence your selection as it can
            eliminate additional grief if the inspector does not like your selection!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing here, replacing my electrical panel.

Cactus Man

Comment

Square D QO. Aluminum bus bars (Sq D Homeline) are probably perfectly fine, but I prefer copper bus bars.

Comment

Eaton Cutler-Hammer CH Classic loadcenters, they are the last decent residential / light commercial panels made, steel interiors & copper bus, not the cheesy plastic like SQ D & others. SQ D in the early 1980's on back was a quality brand. Siemens is my 2nd choice, but has a plastic interior.

Garbage panels: Cutler-Hammer BR, formerly Westinghouse & Bryant, GE (Garbage Electric), SQ D Homeline.

Brands that are no more: Zinsco/Sylvania/Challenger, FPE, Federal Pacific Electric, Wadsworth, I-T-E Pushmatic, also known as Bulldog Electric Prods..

Names that have changed, Siemens, which has been known as I-T-E Circuit Breaker Co., I-T-E Imperial Corp., Gould/I-T-E, I-T-E Electrical Products Div. of Siemens-Allis, Siemens I-T-E.

Murray was branded as Crouse-Hinds for years & reverted to their original name, Murray after Siemens bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  I'd suggest you contact your electric company and local electrical building inspector.
                  they may have a preference! and that may influence your selection as it can
                  eliminate additional grief if the inspector does not like your selection!
                  Do you HONESTLY believe this???

What does the POCO or inspector's preference in panels have to do with ANYTHING??
                  You really think because an inspector likes QO and you used BR there will be "additional grief", because he doesn't "like" your choice?? Wow.

Some people have some odd views as to how most inspectors work.

Comment

What panels do you prefer and why ?
                    I prefer electrical panels. I am very familiar with them and know how to work with them. This is a good thing since it is my personal field of expertise and the way I make my living.

Now SIP panels, THOSE things I HATE!

Comment

I like any panels that match My " blue CARLON BOXES FROM HOME DEPOT "
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

square D and siemens are my choice (and I am an industrial electrician)
                        they are far more dependable
                        ge breakers are crap in my opinion
                        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X