X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open neutral, open hot

I noticed that one of my kitchen countertop outlets was not working. I checked all the other outlets in the area and noticed two outlets in the adjacent room were also not working. I also checked every other outlet, switch & light in the house and all were fine. When I tested each of the three non-working ones, the countertop one indicated "open neutral" and the two outlets in the other room indicated "open ground" with the light indicator being very weak. I removed the cover plate of the countertop outlet to see if wires had come lose. The wires were firmly attached, but the bracket on the receptacle had almost completely separated from the face of the receptacle. I replaced the receptacle with a new one. When I tested it, it read "open hot". I double checked the connections and the proper placement of hot & neutral. The two other outlets still read "open ground" with very weak light indicator. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: open neutral, open hot

when was the house wired, what are you using for a tester?

has any thing in the area been worked on besides the plug you worked on? is the black on the darker screw, should also be the narrow side of the plug,

and the white on the silver screw? wider side of the plug,

the bare or green to the ground screw?

the plug before it, or a wire could be broken, it would seem like if you had power there before you would or should have it now, did you turn the breaker back on?

you may just need to bring in some on who is qualified to figure this out
    Last edited by BHD; 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: open neutral, open hot

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      when was the house wired, what are you using for a tester?

has any thing in the area been worked on besides the plug you worked on? is the black on the darker screw, should also be the narrow side of the plug,

and the white on the silver screw? wider side of the plug,

the plug before it, or a wire could be broken, it would seem like if you had power there before you would or should have it now, did you turn the breaker back on?
      and the bare or green on the ground screw?
      right you need a meter to get true readings
      indicator type testers only show the presence of voltage.
      what condition is the wire in?
      there may be broken conductors causing you problem
      or loose connections in a junction box!
      either way you need to track this down.
      Last edited by gnuuser; 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling correction
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
      X