X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Panel continues to trip

Lived in my house for 9 years without any electrical issues to speak of. All of a sudden I am getting the Sub Panel breaker tripping on a regular basis. I have discovered that all of a sudden I cannot run the washer, dryer and dish washer all at the same time. I am not getting the individual circuits to trip for each appliance it is the sub panel feed off the main. Any suggestions?

Re: Sub Panel continues to trip

So you have a sub panel serving these individual appliances? None of the individual breakers controlling these appliances are tripping? Try replacing the main breaker for the sub panel.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      So you have a sub panel serving these individual appliances? None of the individual breakers controlling these appliances are tripping? Try replacing the main breaker for the sub panel.
      correct while each appliance may not be exceeding their limit the combined load may be tripping the main in the sub panel
      your main breaker may be failing.
      starting current for these appliances may be exceeding the limit of the main as well
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

if it's aluminum wiring the junctions may have become loose or corroded. Amp load will increase due to the poor connections, also causing trips.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I have a subpanel that is hooked into a Gentran system due to rural house loosing powere quite often. The subpanel feed in the main box is what is tripping. None of the individual breakers for each appliance are tripping just the subpanel feed in the main box.

Comment

I would start with an ammeter and see what the actual loads are. A problem may exist with your washer or dryer. See if the loads are within normal range both individually and combined (at the main) I agree, it's likely the breaker is not holding. Its always good to check, before forking money out for a new breaker.

Comment

just a question or three?
              was it wired by a electrician?
              who determined the size of breaker feeding the sub panel?
              what is the size of the breaker?
              and what basic things does the sup panel run?

has any of the appliances been changed out recently? or any thing noticed on any of the appliances (some thing taking longer to work or even noise),

is there a combination or sequence to the appliances running, you say you can not run all three, at once, has the sequence changed recently?

my guess is either one of the appliances is pulling more than in the past, do some problem, or the sequence of heating elements are crossing (when they are turned on),
              and or the breaker is getting weak,
              but if you do replace the breaker replace with same size that came out, with out knowing the wire size going to the sub panel and knowing if it can handle additional amperage ONLY REPLACE WITH the same AMPERAGE RATING.

Now maybe I read some thing into this that was not meant to be conveyed, but is this sub panels the one the generator operates in an emergence? (if it is just seems like a odd set of breakers for emergency feed to me),

~~~~~~~~~~~~

you basically have two possibilities either the appliances or some thing else is pulling more power on the box, or the Breaker feeding the box is getting weak, there could be other reasons possibly as well, but those are the two big ones,

if a breaker is ran at nearly full load a lot of the time, and if they do trip by over load it seems to weaken many of them, they trip faster, or with less amperage, the breakers either work by heat on a bi metal strip or a electro magnet built in side that measures the amount of amps, (the amount of power flowing) and once it reaches a given heat built up or pull on the magnet it disconnect,

HowStuffWorks "Basic Circuit Breaker Design",
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you do not feel capable or have concerns on the swapping out of the breaker, get a qualified person in to do the work, a licensed electrician should be able to pin point the problem and if there are other questionable things, repair them safely, or at least guide one in the proper action to

if you do choose to try the breaker swap shut off the main breaker coming into the panel.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

house was done by a union electrical contractor. The feed to the subpanel from the main is 100A. The subpanel was installed to hook the gentran up to it. Only the essentials are in the subpanel in case of a power outage. The appliances all seem to be running as they have for the past 9 years. Nothing new. System ran without issues since installed until a few weeks ago. The sub panel has it own set of breakers for washer, dryer, furnace, freezer, water softner, well and sump pump.

Comment

Hire an electrician and have Him Megger the circuit . I'm getting dangerous Hangin on Electrician Talk . Great info !!!
                  Good folks Like Here , Only crazier .
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if your tripping a 100 amp breaker I would call in a electrician and see what is happening,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Hire an electrician and have Him Megger the circuit . I'm getting dangerous Hangin on Electrician Talk . Great info !!!
                      Good folks Like Here , Only crazier .

hey I resemble that remark!

toolholic is right though have the circuits checked including the appliances and set your mind at ease
                      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X