X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can neutral and ground from 50A breaker be shared

A run in 1" plastic conduit from the main panel to power a stove and a microwave. So individual conductors will be used.

Stove is on 50A breaker with #8 wire, microwave on 20A breaker with #12 wire.

The 1" plastic conduit will be run to a junction box and will contain four #8 conductors(red,black,white ,green) and one #12 conductor(blue).

Question is....in the junction box can the #8 neutral and ground be connected to #12 neutral and groung conductors for the run to the microwave?

Kind of like the diagram. Although I did not show the red and black for the stove continuing because it was getting crowded in the drawing.
    Attached Files

Re: Can neutral and ground from 50A breaker be shared

I guess the accurate replies here were not good enough: Shared Neutral On More Than One Circuit - Electrical - Page 5 - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Comment

Rosem637 will keep asking until he/she gets a wrong answer that will allow her to proceed with his/her project doing what they absolutely know to be correct.

Comment

Well ,Kinda depends, How you feel about Your Mother in Law
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In a word NO!

I hope when you say you will be using plastic conduit you mean the appropriate PVC conduit?

Also running that many number of wires in 1" conduit does not sound right.
          4 #8 wires plus the correct #12 wire runs would be too tight in the conduit and heat
          will be an issue! Also it will be a bear to pull!!!!

You need to discuss this project with a local LICENSED ELECTRICIAN for the correct
          code requirements for your area. If money is a problem then offer to provide grunt work
          and the electrician may lower his price a bit.

Finally you must get a building permit for such wiring ...if you don't and something happens,
          chances are your homeowner's insurance may not cover you!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            Rosem637 will keep asking until he/she gets a wrong answer that will allow her to proceed with his/her project doing what they absolutely know to be correct.
            This has nothing to do with any project I am doing. This was asked on the other forum on April 20 but because of the way it was asked, no one answered it directly

It peeked my curiosity so I reasked the question. And no I am not looking for a specific answer. Just the correct one which appears to be "NO" and if possible the reasoning behind it.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              In a word NO!
              I am not doing any such project.

I can do and understand simple wiring like 3 ways and receptacles and switches. The above question just peaked my curiosity

Is there anyway you can elaborate on the in short answer of No???

Thanks

Comment

NEC 210.4, 300.13(B), 210.4 (C) should explain it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  NEC 210.4, 300.13(B), 210.4 (C) should explain it for you.
                  Thanks

Comment

There are situations where smaller conductors can be tapped off larger ones, but this is not one of them. The only conductor that would be allowed to be shared would be the ground.
                    As Killavolt said, it violates 210.4 (although I don't see 300.13(b) applying because removing the receptacle would not compromise the neutral continuity)

The amount of wires in the 1" pipe would be OK.(Cactusman)

Rosem637; Be careful when you say you say you "know and understand" simple things....... The are many rules to complicate "simple things" and practices you might overlook.
                    Eg, Do you derate for ambient temperature, termination ratings and number of current carrying conductors? Do you derate for bundling of wires and cables going thru a top plate that is fire-stopped? Do you know structurally where you are allowed to drill into floor joists? Do you know if your compromising the fire rated wall or ceiling by adding a box? Do you know light blue wire is generally recommended for intrinsically safe circuits? etc... The rules are many and can seem convoluted. Codes do vary from place to place. It is not uncommon read that something is OK in one section, only to find out an exception exists elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X