X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Receptacle acting funny

"Ring out" usually means check for continuity.

Comment

Thought I would give an update.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I tested the outlets in the house and found them all to be open neutral (This included things like the receptacle on my electric stove). I thought my tester might be faulty so I started up my generator outside and the tester showed my generator to be operating properly, therefore the tester is fine. I noticed that two upstairs receptacles showed open hot. I took a close look at my panel and noticed that there is a green discharge (goo) dripping from the breaker (hot) wire for my electric dryer. Also there is a little amount out green discharge on the neutral wire in the panel for the dryer. Tomorrow I'm calling in an electrician.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Sometimes green corrosion is found on aluminium. Not unusual. It is possible that the terminations were lot landed properly...eg; terminals not rated for aluminum/did not use anti-oxidant paste.

Be warned that if your house is missing a neutral, the circuits have no reference point and voltage can vary up to 240volts (depending on what loads are turned on). Essentially your house is now a series 240V circuit.

Turn off and unplug anything you dont want blown up from over or under voltage!

Hopefully, you just have a open branch circuit neutral that is preventing power at the outlets. The above scenario is much worse because it can fry your appliances or electronics.
        Last edited by johncameron; 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X