X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual GFCI circuits

I'm looking at replacing a receptacle in a bathroom. The existing one is not a GFCI and i'm not sure about the panel breaker. (didn't look). Would there be a problem if the circuit panel has a GFCI breaker and then another GFCI receptacle is installed on that circuit?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Dual GFCI circuits

A Look at the panel would be 4 times cheaper if the branch circuit to the bathroom is GFCI protected from the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      A Look at the panel would be 4 times cheaper if the branch circuit to the bathroom is GFCI protected from the panel.
      Agreed but his question was does placing two GFIs in series present a problem.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ground clamp N wire to cold water pipe to new Gfci. Regular outlet wired down stream sticker on 2 nd one.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

2 GFCI's although redundant will work as intended. You can not guarantee which one will trip under a ground fault.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
            2 GFCI's although redundant will work as intended. You can not guarantee which one will trip under a ground fault.

Thank you. This is what I was hoping for because I cant find the night light receptacle in the non-GFCI form (or at least I can't find it). But when Googling this issue other electricians say it will cause nuisance trips because of the circuitry inside?

This one is preferred...

(Holy crap, that's a big picture!)
            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM.
            ~~

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Ground clamp N wire to cold water pipe to new Gfci. Regular outlet wired down stream sticker on 2 nd one.
              Doesn't seem really safe to me. What about electrolysis? There is only 1 receptacle in this room. Besides, it won't work that way with pex pipe.
              ~~

Comment

Aside from being gainst code, Plumberpunky is exactly right in saying its unsafe.

Pass and seymour sells these (legrand night light outlets);

We have these throughout our house and love them

Comment

2 GFCI's on the same circuit can cause phantom tripping. If you have more than (1) bathroom on the same circuit than I would put in a GFCI breaker.
                  Some of the easiest money I make is resetting GFCI outlets that tripped in another bathroom or are behind junk in the basement or the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    Doesn't seem really safe to me. What about electrolysis? There is only 1 receptacle in this room. Besides, it won't work that way with pex pipe.
                    Brass on copper ,is done every day !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Brass on copper ,is done every day !
                      Just because something is done everyday, does not make it right.

I'm not talking about electrolysis, but rather saying "Ground clamp N wire to cold water pipe to new Gfci."

As a cop once told me years ago "Your about as wrong as two left socks"

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                        Just because something is done everyday, does not make it right.

I'm not talking about electrolysis, but rather saying "Ground clamp N wire to cold water pipe to new Gfci."

As a cop once told me years ago "Your about as wrong as two left socks"
                        Some day someone may put some pex before the copper and we'll all die ! Got it !

Comment

Some day someone may put some pex before the copper and we'll all die ! Got it !
                          You are trying to be funny but your original statement about using the plumbing as the grounding electrode is dangerous. Grounds must be brought back to the grounding electrode at the panel. The grounding electrode should be bonded to metallic plumbing but that does it make it safe to use the plumbing as an alternate ground.

Comment

I agree, but I interpreted "Ground clamp N wire to cold water pipe to new Gfci."

To mean; Bound the Neural wire to the water pipe. Which is even worse because the neutral carries current during normal usage. (aside from parallel/objectionable currents)

The Ironic thing is A GFCI does not even need a ground to function properly.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                              You are trying to be funny but your original statement about using the plumbing as the grounding electrode is dangerous. Grounds must be brought back to the grounding electrode at the panel. The grounding electrode should be bonded to metallic plumbing but that does it make it safe to use the plumbing as an alternate ground.
                              I drive 2 - 8 Ft. ground rods more than 6 ft. apart

Comment

Working...
                              X