Input Voltage AC 110 ~ 120V
    Total power 50W
    Waterproof IP65
    Luminance 4800 - 5600LM
    Emitted Color Day Light
    Lifetime 50,000 hours
    Dimension 11 1/8" x 9 1/8" (H x W)
    Body Color Black

Sorry I can't seem to provide a photo but you can see this LED light on E-bay or even Amazon

My questions:

1. Has anyone experienced radio frequency interference and solved it?
    2. Anyone know what the actual voltage and current is required for this to operate?
    The "switching power supply" is epoxied and all I see are two wires to the LED
    right now I'm unable to measure the voltage.
    3. I have contacted two distributors and no one seems to have any documentation or schematics
    4. Of course it's made in china! and the units I have only have a two wire cord plus no UL listing

Any help is appreciated.

Operation of the 50W LED floodlight is quite good and does provide excellent lighting for a driveway etc.

Cactus Man

Re: 120V 50W led floodlight

There's forward voltage and reverse voltage. I believe a typical led runs around 3.5 volts. I believe these run around 30 volts.

Been buying a lot of 12 volt leds for the shop running with solar panels and 12 volt batteries.

My reading of reviews seem to put the 50 watt led comprable to a 300 halogen.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I don't know, but drivers are commonly 12vdc. I'm not sure why you want to know this but, it would not be hard to hook up some test leads to your DVM to get your voltage and current readings.
      I just know LEDs are very sensitive to current fluctuations.

Yes, RFI can be a problem if you have nearby radio equipment. (like VHF/ham radio)
      Do a google search to review complaints.

There are ways to mitigate RFI so I wouldn't think it a problem.

Good luck with your bench test.

Comment

I just ordered another 50W LED floodlight from the same source.

When I get it I'll disassemble it and measure the voltage and current to the LED itself.
        I do not have an oscilloscope handy so I'll just set my Ham radio to various frequencies to track the
        RFI the light generates.

I really suspect the switching power supply as usually they are RFI causes.

I'll report back as soon as I can.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
          I just ordered another 50W LED floodlight from the same source.

When I get it I'll disassemble it and measure the voltage and current to the LED itself.
          I do not have an oscilloscope handy so I'll just set my Ham radio to various frequencies to track the
          RFI the light generates.

I really suspect the switching power supply as usually they are RFI causes.

I'll report back as soon as I can.

Cactus Man

10-4 good buddy

Comment

I replaced the lamps in my garage with screw in Cree 60 watt replacement LEDs. If the lights were on my Garage Door Opener would not work from the remote. Had to replace the LEDs with CFLs.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
              I replaced the lamps in my garage with screw in Cree 60 watt replacement LEDs. If the lights were on my Garage Door Opener would not work from the remote. Had to replace the LEDs with CFLs.
              That's odd. If you are saying the lights do not work; They should because it's just a relay supplying 120v to the socket. If you are saying the opener does not respond; I wouldn't think it a problem as the light on the opener does not turn on until after you push the remote control button.

Energy savings is negligible for something that only stays on for 30 seconds.

PS; Please remember to recycle cfls as they contain mercury

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                That's odd. If you are saying the lights do not work; They should because it's just a relay supplying 120v to the socket. If you are saying the opener does not respond; I wouldn't think it a problem as the light on the opener does not turn on until after you push the remote control button.

Energy savings is negligible for something that only stays on for 30 seconds.
                Was not talking about the light in the GDO. Meant my garage ceiling lights consisting of keyless lamps holders with Edison based lamps. The LEDs apparently generate RF that interferes with the GDO remote signal.

Comment

Ahh, I see

Comment

Ah Geeze, so now LED's emit RFI. I didn't know that until now. So much for led's in the Shack. I'll stay with the flickering 48" tubes I guess.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Speedbump, not all LED bulbs produce RFI [or at least noticeable RFI]

I have found the LED bulbs sold at Lowe's for the most part are quiet.

The FEIT brand seems to be OK
                      I'm using their PAR20 floodlight, 8W replaces 45W, tolerates vibration, about 340 lumens non dimmable
                      This is used in the kitchen area track lights...very bright, minimal shadows, runs cool to touch, instant on!

I also use one at my bandsaw and is excellent!

Today they offer quite a range of bulbs.

The lamp I am discussing here is a large assembly 50W 120vac LED flood light rated at 3500-5000 lumens
                      I should have one for serious testing by the end of this week.

Cactus Man

Comment

Updated information:

I received another lamp. opening it up the LED uses a 120vac to 30-36VDC 1.5amp switching power supply.
                        I presently do not have anything at 36VDC to determine if the power supply "module" is the source of the RFI
                        I strongly suspect it though. This will be a project in work.

On another LED topic:

Lowe's has a Sylvania 1 A189 75W replacement LED dimmable, draws 14W and states 1100 lumens
                        or equivalent to a 75W incandescent bulb which runs around 1170-1200 lumens.
                        Placed in front of my Icom ham radio and various frequencies I noted slight RFI but for the most part
                        it's negligible. This is a 2700K soft white illumination. About $25.00
                        It complies with the FCC part 15 for accepting interference and NOT causing interference, and it's stated
                        on the packaging!

I am using two of them for exterior front night lighting and so far I am pleased with the illumination.

So..some LED lights do produce RFI others do not.

Cactus Man

Comment

I presently do not have anything at 36VDC
                          do you have 3 12v batteries? pure DC with no noise.

if you have any hash with the battery supply then you've shown
                          that the switching power supply is not the only source of RFI, but
                          not completely eliminated it as a source at that point.

Is that original LED lamp you asked about UL listed and does it
                          comply with Part 15 requirements?
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-04-2013, 05:16 AM.
                          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

The original 50W led floodlight is made in china and it does not
                            have any UL or FCC certification. so..what else is new? [he states sarcastically]

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                              The original 50W led floodlight is made in china and it does not
                              have any UL or FCC certification. so..what else is new? [he states sarcastically]

Cactus Man
                              Well then I think technically by the NEC you can't use it.
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X