Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturer's Specs VS. NEC

I have a good one here.
    Came across a new Hot Tub installation where the tub requires 240volt, no neutral required, nor a terminal to place it. (In other words, fed like a standard electric hot water heater) However, as we all know, the NEC requires GFCI protection for hot tubs. But we also know that in order for a 240 volt GFCI breaker to protect said hot tub, it requires a branch circuit neutral to operate for a hot tub that does not have a neutral!
    It gets better: The installation instructions from the hot tub states, in black and white, "Do not install onto a GFCI. Use only a listed 240 volt breaker."

Yeah, while it is nice to have paperwork to cover one's behind when approaching the inspector, do any of us really enjoy fighting this battle? Hell no.
    It seems to me NEMA and the NEC Board members are having a pissing contest, and I'm getting sick of it.

Re: Manufacturer's Specs VS. NEC

I was working on My own Sun. , Broken fitting. I installed and wired it 10 years ago. No Nuetral . Have done 5 others also
    all signed off . No problems
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Unfortunately, living in Mass, we are literally "Ground Zero" for the NEC, to include Mass amendments. Some inspectors may pass the install on the basis of following Manufacturer's specs as long as the appliance is UL listed, others hold the Code to Higher authority and fail the install due to not following the article, regardless of UL listing. It's always a dice roll with these things.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        .....as we all know, the NEC requires GFCI protection for hot tubs. This is true.But we also know that in order for a 240 volt GFCI breaker to protect said hot tub, it requires a branch circuit neutral to operate for a hot tub that does not have a neutral!Not true, It will work fine without a neutral load
        It gets better: The installation instructions from the hot tub states, in black and white, "Do not install onto a GFCI. Use only a listed 240 volt breaker."Although we are supposed to follow the manufacture instructions, you are still obligated to meet the requirements of our NEC and local codes.

Yeah, while it is nice to have paperwork to cover one's behind when approaching the inspector, do any of us really enjoy fighting this battle? Hell no.
        It seems to me NEMA and the NEC Board members are having a pissing contest, and I'm getting sick of it.
        The bottom line is the NEC trumps what the manufactures instructions say.

Comment

Working...
        X