X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Trick

So like many of you I used to use a needle nose pliers to make the loop in the wire
    to wrap it around the receptacle or switch screws. It was never pretty!

Well I have the perfect simple fix!

Take your #2 phillips screw driver, the one with the round shaft.

About 1 1/2" to 2" from the end using a center punch, punch a mark.
    Then take a 3/32 drill bit in a drill press and carefully drill a hole.

Now you can use #12 or #14 solid wire and slip it into the hole and curve it around the
    shaft.
    And behold the perfect loop to correctly and neatly fit the receptacle or light screws.
    It also works perfectly with the ground wire screw!

Works every time.

Cost: none
    Time to make this: less than 5 minutes including clean up.

You're welcome!

Cactus Man

Re: A Simple Trick

good idea, but i believe it already exist by another company as i've seen it before.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Almost all the wire strippers out there have holes drilled in them to do the same thing, but the screw driver idea is cool, but I am with Rick, I think them make those as well.

Comment

milwaukee has them in their newer line of screwdrivers.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-to...ers/48-22-2009

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You guys could have at least let him enjoy the moment for 24 hours couldn't you?

Nice idea Catus Man on modding your own screwdrivers instead of buying new.

I had never seen the ones on screwdrivers but wire strippers yes for many years.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

true bob. but at least i spelled his name right

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Good morning Rick, you're up early, or is this normal hours for you.
              I'm usually up at 4am.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

depends on how early i fall asleep. use to be a late night person. now i'm out around 10 pm. up around 6 +/-

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

The holes on the wire strippers didn't click with me until last year. I really questioned what they were for then figured it out. My world has changed. Seriously though. It makes wiring so much easier.

Comment

OK so I'm behind in tool tricks!

But that's my story!

On the other hand I did not need to purchase any more screwdrivers just for a hole!

Just the other day I needed to temporarily secure a bunch of papers,
                    I took some solid wire and bent it around and POOF! I made a a bunch of
                    papers holder!!!

Then my wife destroyed my glory as she said "paper clips" have been around for over 100 years!

I'm a lousy inventor..as I'm always inventing things after they have been made by others!

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactus man, You may be a (by your words) a lousy inventor, but you are an excellent "reporter". Far better than those that knew about the "manufactured screwdrivers" and didn't share their info. By the way, I am in my 80's and never heard of that trick. Thanks.

Comment

Good idea, I love it. Just remember that the wire needs to be wrapped at least 2/3 around the screw.

I prefer to strip a little longer and then pinch the bottom tail with needle-nose. This gives me at least a 3/4 wrap every time.

BTW, Also remember not to use heavy torqe with that screwdriver.

Comment

This is the wire bending screwdriver that I am familiar with. It has a post instead of a hole for bending.Click image for larger version

Name:	71c5fb3a92e25452ea0f8b257d07b71e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	17666

Comment

Don't run yourself down Cactusman, sometimes we think of things before we see them. Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Down here we don't have as many toys as you guys and Rick of course. Hence we come here as friends and ask the question. Personally I am envious of what you guys have available directly off the shelf as opposed to us having to explain to a salesman who really couldn't give a monkeys about anything and always says it isn't available because he hasn't seen it before. You guys have saved me many times and will do so again without fear or favour. So just enjoy the forum and don't be afraid to pipe in. BTW do you guys still prefer to use solid as opposed to stranded cable.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                              OK so I'm behind in tool tricks!

But that's my story!

On the other hand I did not need to purchase any more screwdrivers just for a hole!

Just the other day I needed to temporarily secure a bunch of papers,
                              I took some solid wire and bent it around and POOF! I made a a bunch of
                              papers holder!!!

Then my wife destroyed my glory as she said "paper clips" have been around for over 100 years!

I'm a lousy inventor..as I'm always inventing things after they have been made by others!

Cactus Man
                              If you are not aware that something already exists and "invent" it again all on your own that shows there is nothing wrong with your inventiveness or creativity.
                              Timing may be off but that's all. In fact, that someone also thought of a solution to the same problem as you only reinforces that you ARE inventive and a creative thinker.
                              I find myself in the same boat many times. I see some 'new' product being advertised and a I say (either out loud or to myself); "I thought of that 5 (or however many) years ago!" Problem is I don't have the money or time to develop all the ideas I have for products or tools. If I could concentrate on doing that all day I would be rich, or at least known for having invented a pile of stuff.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X