X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some suggestions on cable managment

I'm trying to figure how to neatly connect a Toto washlet to the outlet. Unfortunately I got the cord length wrong when placing the outlet and now I'm about 2 feet short. The cord on the Washlet is pretty short anyway.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this to make it neat. One idea is to chop off the plug on the washlet and then connect it to a custom made extension so it is exactly the correct length and then conceal with some suitable conduit on the wall.

Any other ideas/suggestions on how best to do this?

Re: Need some suggestions on cable managment

Can you just install a longer cord and eliminate the splice?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If the wall is just drywall covering, why not move or add another outlet in the correct location? Drywall is easy to repair and a lot safer than splicing or messing with an electrical device that mixes water and your A$$... just saying.

Comment

don't touch the factory cord. unless you want to own that $800. seat with no warranty.

either move the outlet or hide the extension cord connector behind the tank or stashed up under the china out of site. but don't mess with the factory cord.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I know I can move the outlet - I guess I'm lazy to do it at this stage since the project is complete - i have done all the drywall repairs and repainted the walls etc. I think Rick's idea of looping it behind the tank should work - I can attach the factory cord to a short extension cord and loop the excess behind the tank and conceal the straight wiring and the plug connection behind some conduit to prevent risk of water splashing on the plug connection.

Also I'm not too keen to have the outlet too close to the toilet just from the point of view of the risk of water splashing on to it from the washlet/toilet even though it is GFCI protected. This would be the case if the output were placed at the correct distance for the factory cord.

Comment

I agree, the best thing is to take the time to move the outlet.

I don't like the idea of putting my arse anywhere near a splice.

Comment

Having looked at the situation again I can see what has happened. I located the outlet based on the washlet specs. What I did not realize is that the cord is on one side of the washlet so the length sizing only works for that side - the outlet needs to be much closer if it's on the other side. I have safely concerns about the outlet being too close to the toilet due to risk of water splashing on it from the tank, etc.

It is not practical to move the outlet to the "correct" side since there is a door. So I will probably go with an extension cord but make sure the plug connection is encased in conduit for safety.

Comment

Make sure the receptacle is GFCI protected (required for baths) and use a weather proof receptacle.

Comment

Working...
                X