X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring fluorescent fixture

I have an older 8 ft. 3 tube(single pin) fluorescent fixture with two ballasts,one ballast powers the 2 outside bulbs and the other ballast powers the middle tube. Each ballast has a red and blue wire on one side and a black and white wire on the other, but only the middle tube is working. Could somebody post a diagram on how the fixture should be wired as it looks like someone has changed the wiring.....Thanx.

Re: wiring fluorescent fixture

Hook up just one red to one side, one blue to other, black to hot, white to neut, wire-nut unused

Comment

woud it be wired the same way if it was a 4 ft. 3tube fixture. thank you for the diagram.

Comment

woud it be wired the same way if it was a 4 ft. 3tube fixture. thank you for the diagram.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Those diagrams are for rapid start fixtures, the OP said the lamps were single pin (slimline), in order for slimline lamps to operate correctly the black & blue conductors need to be on the same lamp, & the red & white on the other lamp, a 2-lamp slimline ballast only has 4- wires entering the ballast case, the tombstone lampholders have a disconnect on the low voltage side where the black & white enter, when the lamps are removed, power is disconnected from the ballast, the spring loaded tombstones are the high voltage side.

Unless they have fallen off, all ballasts do have a wiring diagram on them, follow them & all will be well if the ballast is good, be really careful as the open circuit voltage if my memory serves me correct is almost 700 volts. Since energy codes have caused a lot of ballasts to be removed from the market, a conversion to T8 slimline lamps is something to be considered.

Comment

Norcal you are right, there are only 4 wires coming out of each ballast, so the previous diagram doesn't help me. This is an old fixture so could you post a diagram of how it should be wired......Thank You.

Comment

Better to scrap that dinosaur of a fixture and buy yourself a t-8 or t-5 light

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post

Better to scrap that dinosaur of a fixture and buy yourself a t-8 or t-5 light

That is not a normal T12 slimline 2 lamp wiring diagram.

Comment

I got this one out of the Smithsonian

Comment

Another slimline diagram

Comment

Would love to see the internal wiring of the ballast.
                        Have no idea how these work.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I would like to thank everybody for answering my thread, and johncameron I like your sense of humor especially the Smithsonian comment, it was priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                            Would love to see the internal wiring of the ballast.
                            Have no idea how these work.
                            Not much to see Robert. It is just two spools of thin gauge wire wrapped around a ferrite bar. These inductors essentially limit the current the lamp will draw. If there was nothing to limit the current, the fluorescent lamp would probably blow up. New ballasts have electronics that also regulate the current, but are quieter (no hum), lighter and minimize that obnoxious flickering like the light that's over my desk.

Comment

Working...
                            X