Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internal connections in 3-way and 4-way light switches?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal connections in 3-way and 4-way light switches?

Wife wants the front porch light time switch to also light the coach lights on each side of the garage door.
    She also wants the existing garage wall switch (which turns on the two lights) to still turn them on.

When I run #14-2 w Ground cable from the front door timer switch to the garage wall switch, may I leave the Ground and WHITE wires disconnected at both ends?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Internal connections in 3-way and 4-way light switches?

No, you always have to run a neutral and ground wire with a hot conductor.

Just Google "3 way" or "4 way" you will find a diagram for the switches.

Comment

http://ezdiyelectricity.com/images/w...ng-diagram.jpg

Comment

You need a 3 way switch in the house and the garage and by current code you need to run a 4 wire cable (4 conductors plus ground) between them. Power (hot and neutral will have to supplied from either the house or the garage. You cannot mix the hot and neutral from different circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
          You need a 3 way switch in the house and the garage and by current code you need to run a 4 wire cable (4 conductors plus ground) between them. Power (hot and neutral will have to supplied from either the house or the garage. You cannot mix the hot and neutral from different circuits.
          I was planning to connect the Black wire from the daylight-adjusting porch light timer to also feed the garage switch which operates the two coach lights. Only when the porch light is on would the garage switch be powered.
          Now wonder if a timer for the garage lamps would be cheaper. Certainly easier.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-2...9814/203678179

Last edited by Robert Gift; 08-19-2013, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Doubtful that the porch lights and the garage lights are on the same circuit. Connecting the hot (black) conductor from 1 circuit to operate a light using the neutral from another circuit is a code violation and will trip instantly if there is GFCI or AFCI in the circuit.

Buy another timer.

Comment

I agree, just buy another timer switch

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                Doubtful that the porch lights and the garage lights are on the same circuit. Connecting the hot (black) conductor from 1 circuit to operate a light using the neutral from another circuit is a code violation and will trip instantly if there is GFCI or AFCI in the circuit.

Buy another timer.
                Thank you.
                I would check to make sure they are on the same side of the panel so no possibilty of 220 volts.
                I intended to just connect the garage lamp circuit to the porch light circuit using the Neutral and Black branched from the porch light circuit.

But in that garage electrical box is another switch for the garage ceiling lights.
                Does code allow two circuits in the same electrical box?
                I would also check for 220 potential between the two circuits.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 08-16-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

As long as you bring both the hot and neutral (and ground) from the porch light out to the garage (I am assuming garage is attached), you are fine. No problem having 2 different circuits in the switch box.

" I would also check for 220 potential between the two circuits." Is not a consideration (and the voltage is 240 not 220)

Comment

easiest, safest, and code correct way is get a second timer for the coach lights on the garage.
                    You'll just need to reprogram two switches if you ever want to change the operating start/stop times.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: Sorry to waste everyones time. Must install timer switch in the garage.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      easiest, safest, and code correct way is get a second timer for the coach lights on the garage.
                      You'll just need to reprogram two switches if you ever want to change the operating start/stop times.
                      To show were I should drill, my wife tapped on the floor below the front porch light wall switch.
                      Beneath the wall is a furnace cold air return duct filling the entire space between the floor joists. Before drywall, the wires were run through two wall studs to miss the duct and then down through the floor into the basement.

(Does that duct use the floor joists as side walls and floor as top of the duct? The bottom sheet metal spans from one floor joist to the other.)
                      Thank you.
                      Last edited by Robert Gift; 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                        To show were I should drill, my wife tapped on the floor below the front porch light wall switch.
                        Beneath the wall is a furnace cold air return duct filling the entire space between the floor joists. Before drywall, the wires were run through two wall studs to miss the duct and then down through the floor into the basement.

(Does that duct use the floor joists as side walls and floor as top of the duct? The bottom sheet metal spans from one floor joist to the other.)
                        Thank you.
                        Yes, but don't think of routing your cable thru the duct. Remember to use fire stopping caulk or putty to fill the holes in the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post

Thank you.
                          what i use to mark location is drill a pilot hole carefully through the floor from above. and insert a rod through the hole.( I use a steel oxy acetylene filler rod with one end painted fluorescent orange and the other end looped in a circle to prevent it from falling though)
                          or you could use a fiberglass rod again with the end painted
                          Last edited by gnuuser; 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM. Reason: correct spelling
                          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X