X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of PVC box adaptor

What is a PVC box adaptor used for. It seems as if it is like a reducer bushing. The adaptor pointed at in the left photo is a 3/4 box adaptor and the box is a molded PVC box with 3/4 holes. On HD web site it says, " used to adapt non-metallic conduit to all electrical enclosures."

Is below what they mean? I also labelled the adaptor in the right photo with hub and body in case someone wanted to explain the proper use.
    Attached Files

Re: Use of PVC box adaptor

looks like a reducing bushing to me.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Same as battleship bob.
      Looks like this is so you can use smaller conduit.
      Last edited by kol 15; 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM.
      Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

They were really designed to reduce the size of the hole in your trailer hitch when you need to haul farm wagons.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Ignore all HomeDepot descriptions

It's a 3/4" to 1/2" (trade size) reducer bushing

"used to adapt non-metallic conduit to all electrical enclosures." My Arse

Comment

SO is this how to use? Seems like there is still some sliding of the adaptor body because the coupling does not sit all the way against the box sidewall. Unless when glue and primer is applied the, the coupling will slide further onto the adaptor?
            Attached Files

Comment

It is a box adapter not a reducing bushing. This poster started the same discussion on DIYChatroom.com

Use PVC Box Adaptor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                It is a box adapter not a reducing bushing. This poster started the same discussion on DIYChatroom.com
                Is there something wrong with that. I also posted on another forum. Don't see an issue to get different opinions.

Comment

Isn't a male adapter and lock nut legal? Other than taking up a little box room with the thread, it can be removed from the box.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rosem637 View Post
                    Is there something wrong with that. I also posted on another forum. Don't see an issue to get different opinions.
                    I referenced the other post so we did not have to do it all over again here. Don't be so thin skinned.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      Isn't a male adapter and lock nut legal? Other than taking up a little box room with the thread, it can be removed from the box.
                      Rick.
                      Yes, that would be fine. I would not recommend a double locknut on pvc. (One nut inside and one nut outside the box) The connection is generally too weak and the thread will strip.

People usually use either threaded or socket fittings, but not both at the same time.

I never used one and don't see a need to.

BTW, the photo with it in the top that pvc box is not how its intended to be used. It's intended to be used thru a knock out hole similar to a chase nipple.

Comment

BTW, the photo with it in the top that pvc box is not how its intended to be used. It's intended to be used thru a knock out hole similar to a chase nipple.
                        Never knew there was such a fitting, that's why I said it looks like a reducing bushing.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The 3/4" reducer is used to allow 1/2" PVC [gray colored] conduit to fit a box with a 3/4"
                          opening!

All PVC [gray color] conduit must be properly glued and you must run the green ground wire
                          with your other wires! DO NOT use white plumbing PVC pipe that's illegal.

They also make other sizes for 1/2"to 3/4" and 3/4" to 1" etc.etc.etc.

Cactus man

Comment

First glance I thought it a red bushing too. It's not.
                            The od dimensions are for 3/4 conduit but I dont think the id is for 1/2" conduit.

IMO, mixing pvc and metal methods is not a good practice. I also don't like the gap in picture 2 where it says "room to slide" The reason there is a gap is because its on a metal box. the wall on a pvc box is thicker and this fitting would then fit snugly thru a knock out hole. Code says it is supposed to be wrench tight

Last edited by johncameron; 09-29-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                              The reason there is a gap is because its on a metal box.
                              I disagree. That photo is just a dry fit. When glue is applied the coupling will slide a little more onto adapter. Kind of like lubing it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X