Electric Clothes Dryer Breaker question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Clothes Dryer Breaker question

How many amps should the breaker be for the clothes dryer?
    At my parents' house we had 2 30 amp fuses and at the girl friend's house we have 40 amp breaker and if we have the dryer and anything else on that draws power we trip the main breaker.
    Dishwasher , or water pump and dryer, or washer and dryer the main breaker trips

we have narrowed the cause down to the dryer. Is 40 amps enough for it should it be a bigger a breaker like a 60?
    100 amp service coming in

I am wondering if this might be causing the problems.
    What is your opinion?
    Thanks
    Stuart

Re: Electric Clothes Dryer Breaker question

Increasing the breaker size does not solve the problem, it will cause a potentially worse new problem. The breaker should be the weakest link so to speak in the circuit, meaning it should trip before the wire shorts out from being overloaded and starting a fire.

Don't install a larger breaker or higher amperage fuses.

Find out what the dryer draws in amps, should be innthe manual or on the sticker onnthe back with the serial number and other information. If not use the www and visit the manufacturers website and find out. If its not posted then send a message to their tech support.

Your dryer may draw more current than the circuit is designed for.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Most dryers require a two pole 30 amp breaker on a dedicated circuit. That should influence nothing else on the house's load center. You should have a licensed electrician verify the amp draw on the dryer and find out why if the dishwasher, well pump or anything else is contributing to the main breaker tripping.

Comment

the breaker size depends on the current the dryer will draw.
        this info is usually on the label on the back.
        also the main breaker may be getting weak
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

I know this is a few days old now, but the problem is NOT the dryer. It is a bad main breaker. Most likely where it stabs onto the buss.
          The dryer is just exposing the problem.

Comment

I agree with speedy but i like to deal in the absolute world.

Use an amprobe to find out exactly what your dryer is pulling in amps.

Do the same thing with all your appliances.

Then put your amprobe on your service coming into your panels main breakers.

No breakers amp draw should exceed 80 percent of it's rating. So if you have 100 amp main breaker, with everything on you should not exceed 80 amps.....this is a small service for a whole house. Most are 125 to 200 amps. Some older houses were not built to have all electric appliances but with everything on and running with the amprobe you will quickly know.

Also, dryers are fire hazards if you do not make sure your vent is clean, your vent outlet outside is clear, and you may have to take the front off, with it unplugged, and clean the lint out. Make sure your vent is not kinked. The newer dryers have one-time fuses so you must call a technician to clean/repair your dryer if they overheat whereas older ones had just a limit switch that would just shut the heat off until it cooled and the customer never knew the dryer was really sick. Home builders sometimes put utility rooms inside the house instead of next to an outside wall so they run the vent in the floor or ceiling sometimes for 10 or more feet to an outside wall and they fill up with lint because they can restrict air. Those vents sometimes require a snake or lawn blower to clean out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by cei955 View Post
              No breakers amp draw should exceed 80 percent of it's rating.
              Is this some kind of local code or your own personal suggestion?

Comment

apartments are the worlds worst when there is washer/dryer hookups in them, there may be 2-3/ 90s in most dryer vents, a big no no and very dangerous. I work in a college town, if some parents knew the dangers in these apartments and houses that these rental companies turn into college rental property, they would think twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                  Is this some kind of local code or your own personal suggestion?
                  The NEC (National Electrical Code) is published by the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) and that's not a coincidence!
                  •you can determine the maximum current a circuit breaker can pass continuously by multiplying the circuit breaker's rating by .8 to determine 80% of the rating (a 15 amp breaker can pass 15 x .8 = 12 amps and a 20 amp is 20 x .8 = 16 amps). Do not connect loads that exceed this 80% calculated value.

See not my or local code.

Comment

The NEC (National Electrical Code) is published by the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) and that's not a coincidence!
                    •you can determine the maximum current a circuit breaker can pass continuously by multiplying the circuit breaker's rating by .8 to determine 80% of the rating (a 15 amp breaker can pass 15 x .8 = 12 amps and a 20 amp is 20 x .8 = 16 amps). Do not connect loads that exceed this 80% calculated value.

This only to applies to devices that are rated for continuous loads. Example: A range can call for a 50 amp circuit but is not rated as a continuous load.

The 80& factor certainly does not apply to most circuits.

Comment

Really?!? I had nerver considered that.

You did not reference any code section, so the average person will think this applies to everything....when it does NOT.

What about 210.23 and T210.24?

Comment

I said continuous???

A range has multiple options, burners, broiler, oven so I understand it would not be continuous.

An electric dryer is on or off. It pulls the same amps continuously until the timer or the thermal limit shuts the element off.

Comment

I said continuous???

A range has multiple options, burners, broiler, oven so I understand it would not be continuous.

An electric dryer is on or off. It pulls the same amps continuously until the timer or the thermal limit shuts the element off.

I still do not see where it says a breaker can only be loaded to 80%.

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                            the breaker size depends on the current the dryer will draw.
                            this info is usually on the label on the back.
                            also the main breaker may be getting weak
                            This is bad info in my opinion. The conductor size is based on the current draw of the dryer, the breaker is based on the conductor. The breaker is NOT there to protect the dryer, it is there to protect the conductor from over heating and starting a fire. It may seem like a simple matter of semantics, however, this is a critical thing for any person to know if they will be doing any sort of electrical work, and any electrician that doesnt know this should not be allowed to wire anything.

Also, the very definition of continuous in the NEC as any electrician would know has noting to do with whether or not the load will be steady or varying during the course of operation. Continuous duty as far as the NEC is concerned means a load that will operate for 3 hours or longer on a normal basis.

A dryer can have a 60 amp breaker on it so long as it has #6 copper to it. Again, the breaker is sized to the conductor

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                              A dryer can have a 60 amp breaker on it so long as it has #6 copper to it. Again, the breaker is sized to the conductor

Jeff
                              and if the 30 amp dryer fails catastrophically there is a good possibility the breaker wont trip...the house may burn down or someone could die.
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X