Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An adaptor from 220 to 110?

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
    Sorry guys, didn't mean to start an arguement.

The motor in question is a 1.5 hp jointer motor that can be wired 110 or 220. I am not concerned about running a proper circuit, it's just that th machine is used and the guy who I selling it is using a transformer to demo that it works.

I was concerned that the motor may be damaged, and was doing some homework before I put an offer in on the machine.
    If it can be wired for 120 or 240, why are you asking about a converter?

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
      A convertor and an adapter are 2 entirely different things. I still say there is no adapter that will allow a 240 volt motor to run on 120.

And I will be willing to bet the converter you cite will not run that motor for very long before either the motor of the converter burns out.

Your example is inane.
      According to the definitions they are not entirely different. Because one doesn't think something exists or doesn't like something, doesn't mean that it's not real. Simply stating that it's not possible is just <insert your choice of adjective here>. Many many companies have these products. I quickly found the above item in under 2 minutes. That same company sells larger ones as well.

I cannot comment on the reliability or operational usage of this equipment as I haven't used it. It would be the prospective buyer's responsibility to size it correctly and to obtain contact information from the manufacturer/reseller for current users of the product if reliable reviews were not found.

My plumbing example was just as stupid as the knee-jerk response about the adapter/converter.

a·dapt·er
      əˈdaptər/
      noun
      noun: adaptor; plural noun: adaptors; noun: adapter; plural noun: adapters
        a device for connecting pieces of equipment that cannot be connected directly.

a person who adapts a text to make it suitable for filming, broadcasting, or the stage.

con·vert·er
      kənˈvərtər/
      noun
      noun: converter; plural noun: converters; noun: convertor; plural noun: convertors
        a person or thing that converts something.
        "the converter of a building to domestic use"

• a device for altering the nature of an electric current or signal, esp. from AC to DC or vice versa, or from analog to digital or vice versa.

• a retort used in steelmaking.

• short for catalytic converter.

• Computing
          a program that converts data from one format to another.

• a camera lens that changes the focal length of another lens by a set amount.
          "a camera fitted with a x2 converter"
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
        According to the definitions they are not entirely different.
        Nice job of trying to justify your position.

In our owrld there is a BIG difference between a convertor and an adapter, at least in the sense of this conversation.

Comment

Please post reference material to such electrical definitions. I have no problem with someone providing facts when common definitions may be changed when used in a specific job descriptions.

In your <electrical> world, adapter and converter may have colloquial usage that does not apply in the outside world.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Most pump motors are able to run on 115 or 230 volts with the flick of a switch or moving of a wire or two. You said this motor can run on either. So flip the switch or move a wire and change the input voltage and run the machine. Adapters or converters probably wouldn't start a 1.5hp motor from a wall outlet because of the starting current required. We run 1.5 hp motors on 115 volts here in our shop all the time that are wired for 230 volts. They start up slower, but without a load on the motor, they run fine. Apply a load and they slow down and go in and out of start rapidly. This will damage a motor. So to answer your question, you don't need a converter/adapter, simply change the motor over to 115 volts and run it. Note: I do not recommend running a 1.5hp motor wired for 115 volts by plugging it into a wall outlet. The inrush current is quite high and might weld the plug into the socket. Most motors should be hard wired to the proper breaker.
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

If it can be wired for 120 or 240, why are you asking about a converter?
              Okay, I think there is some confusion here.

I want to buy a used machine, a jointer, that has a 1.5 hp motor that is currently wired for 220. The motor has the option of being wired for 110.

The guy who is selling it is demo-ing it with a transformer because he does not have 220 service at his place. I was wondering if he could have done any damage to the motor by using it in this fashion. He referred to the transformer as a "commercial transformer" that an electrician recommended to him.

If I buy it, I will run a dedicated 220 line. I just want to make sure that the motor is not damaged before I drop 1400 dollars on a used machine.

Comment

Okay, I think there is some confusion here.

I want to buy a used machine, a jointer, that has a 1.5 hp motor that is currently wired for 220. The motor has the option of being wired for 110.
                I don't understand why he won't just change the 220 motor over to 115 and run it for you..
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Startup is where the amperage spikes. But on a jointer, there should be next to no load on the motor aslong as you're not cutting, planing at the time of startup.

Compressors, hydrojetter typically have a load on startup and we run 1.5 motors on 120 volts all the time. 2hp. Does push the limits on typical outlets and breakers.

No reason why you cant test at 120 volts or a true 240 volts. He doesn't have a dryer outlet to plug a cord into. Even if you buy a $10.00 pigtail to test it with.

Must be a nice jointer at 1400. Used.

Last week I did a 1/2 hp. Booster pump that was wired for 240. Overkill and I just moved a jumper socket in the motor to go from the 120 it was factory set at to the 240 in the garage pigtail. Went from 6 amps to 3 amps. That's why it was factory wired at 120. Just no big draw on a 1/2 hp motor. But it does have a load being a pressure booster.

Rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-07-2013, 10:09 AM.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I bought mine from a camping store. It has two 120 volt male plugs and a 30 amp 240 volt female plug. It is used when you are camping and their are vacant campsites next to you and they are 120 volt hookups only. If each campsite are on a separate l1 or l2 from what your campsite is on you can get 240 volts by plugging in this adapter because you are getting say l1 from your site and l2 from your adjacent site. I carry a meter in my tool bag so it is easy to determine.

Comment

Originally posted by cei955 View Post
                      I bought mine from a camping store. It has two 120 volt male plugs and a 30 amp 240 volt female plug. It is used when you are camping and their are vacant campsites next to you and they are 120 volt hookups only. If each campsite are on a separate l1 or l2 from what your campsite is on you can get 240 volts by plugging in this adapter because you are getting say l1 from your site and l2 from your adjacent site. I carry a meter in my tool bag so it is easy to determine.
                      I hinted on this type of adaptor in one of the earlier posts, I know many a trades man use similar for get 240 volts, for sanders and other when there is not some other 240 volt receptacle to pull power from,

I even had an insulation machine that was set up with two 120 plugs and you would have to check out the volt meter, to find two plugs on the opposite legs, to come up with 240 volts for the motors on the machine, (it is no longer wired that way).
                      Last edited by BHD; 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What the last 2 posts (24,25)describe is a suicide cord and is non code compliant. And it is called that for good reason. If with a 240 device plugged in and 1of the male plugs come unplugged, the prongs of that plug will be live at 120 volts (back fed thru the 240 volt device from the other plug).

Comment

here is your off the shelf adaptor, Titan Controls - Orion 1 - 220 Volt Power Supply for use in greenhouse, hydroponics and indoor gardening* Titan Controls | Environmental, Timing, Ventilation & Lighting Controllers

You take two 110 Volt input circuits and create a 220 Volt output! This innovative product from Titan Controls does just that, creates a temporary, relocatable 220 Volt power source to run 220 Volt A/C's, heaters or fans. Easy to use, ETL listed and 220 Volt power in a pinch, Titan Controls continues to provide simple solutions for difficult problems!
                          there manual http://www.titancontrols.net/media/1...structions.pdf

this unit has some relay or some thing to make it safer, as it shuts down if one line is unpluged
                          Last edited by BHD; 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

here is another one,

Quick 220 Systems

this unit also has some type of feed back device in it as well, and claims to be UL and OSHA compliant,

but there are adaptors, that are not transformers,

An I am not suggesting there use or recommending them.
                            Last edited by BHD; 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I note 2 things about this device: It has circuitry to disconnect the power if 1 of the plus is unplugged and it is not UL listed.

Comment

What the last 2 posts (24,25)describe is a suicide cord and is non code compliant. And it is called that for good reason. If with a 240 device plugged in and 1of the male plugs come unplugged, the prongs of that plug will be live at 120 volts (back fed thru the 240 volt device from the other plug).
                                Nice to see wisdom countering rather poor advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X