X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An adaptor from 220 to 110?

I am interested in buying a used machine from a guy, but the machine is 220 and all he has is 110 available. He said he went to a supply shop and got an adaptor (for the outlet) that will allow the 220 motor to run on 110.

Will this damage the motor? Also, will the motor underperform with such a set up?

Re: An adaptor from 220 to 110?

Do not run in 120 volts. I use a 24" Made up pigtail into service panel . All floor refinishers do this for their 240 volt machines with larger conductors. Don't recomend You do this yourself, because of lack of elec. experience. Maybe You have an electrician friend. I wire My remodels and do new elec. services, all inspected !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a lot depends on what the adaptor is, and how it works and is constructed.

If all it is a set of plugs and the voltage is not correct it will damage the motor,
      If it is a transformer and delivering proper voltage and amps then Ok ,
      If it is pulling from two different 120 volt outlets connected to opposite sides of the legs coming in and has 240 volts then Ok. most likely no damage, (not code approved).

as said a lot depends on what the adapter is.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There is no adapter to run a 240V motor on 120V.

Get the right motor or better yet run the right circuit for the one you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Many jet pumps have a switch built right into them to run on 120V or 240V. Just click over and run. Is this not the same?

Seriously asking. Thanks for any input.

Comment

Did I miss something ? I didn't see where the OP Stated what the motor function was. Was a jet pump mentioned ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Did I miss something ? I didn't see where the OP Stated what the motor function was. Was a jet pump mentioned ?
              I don't know if you missed something or not. I was trying to understand Speedy's assessment of an adapter being unavailable. A quick Google search finds all kinds of adapters available both ways.

And I have personal experience setting up jet pumps with the flick of a switch to run on 110 or 220.

So I was just trying to figure out where he was coming from or learn something from him as I know he knows more about electrical than I do.

Comment

Some motors can run on either 120 or 240. Some require a wiring change, some have a selector switch. But there is no adapter {Commercially available or code compliant) that will allow a 240 motor to run on 120.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                  I am interested in buying a used machine from a guy, but the machine is 220 and all he has is 110 available. He said he went to a supply shop and got an adaptor (for the outlet) that will allow the 220 motor to run on 110.

Will this damage the motor? Also, will the motor underperform with such a set up?
                  There are lots of converters out there that take 1 leg and convert it to 2 leg power. Here's one, though it's not listed for resistive loads like irons and such:

TC-1500 1500 WATTS STEP UP STEP DOWN VOLTAGE CONVERTER POWER TRANSFORMER

For $70 it's quite a bargain. As long as the wattage output of the converter is sufficient it should do any damage to the converter, wall wiring (provided it's correct for the load), or the motor.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                    Some motors can run on either 120 or 240. Some require a wiring change, some have a selector switch. But there is no adapter {Commercially available or code compliant) that will allow a 240 motor to run on 120.
                    That would be like me saying there is no adapter to connect cpvc to copper. Repipe your house.

Google is your friend.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Great find! That is interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                        That would be like me saying there is no adapter to connect cpvc to copper. Repipe your house.
                        This is a stupid statement. I never implied rewiring a house. I said run the proper circuit for the tool used.
                        There is no simple "adapter". There are transformers and boxes like the cheap junk box in the earlier link, but no simple adapter like many people think.

It is still FAR better and safer to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                          Many jet pumps have a switch built right into them to run on 120V or 240V. Just click over and run. Is this not the same?

Seriously asking. Thanks for any input.
                          May or may not be.
                          Motors like the pump you mention are designed to run on either 120 or 240V. By moving a jumper or flipping the switch you are changing the internal wiring to the windings.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post

Google is your friend.
                            A convertor and an adapter are 2 entirely different things. I still say there is no adapter that will allow a 240 volt motor to run on 120.

And I will be willing to bet the converter you cite will not run that motor for very long before either the motor of the converter burns out.

Your example is inane.

Comment

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start an arguement.

The motor in question is a 1.5 hp jointer motor that can be wired 110 or 220. I am not concerned about running a proper circuit, it's just that th machine is used and the guy who I selling it is using a transformer to demo that it works.

I was concerned that the motor may be damaged, and was doing some homework before I put an offer in on the machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X