X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio buzz

I reconditioned 4 fluorescent light fixtures with new electronic ballast and T-5 bulbs for my pole barn
    and now my radio won't pick up any stations I tried to run a wire outside with a homemade antenna
    still just a buzz anything I can do? Ken

Re: radio buzz

Ez beans ,12 gauge with buck shot. Kerosine lantins
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the only easy way out of this is to make a Faraday cage around the lights with brass screen (grounded of course)
      or use incandescent lights
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

T-8's with electronic ballasts generally do not cause radio interference, if that's what you are using. Are the lights and the receptacle you are plugging the radio into on the same circuit?

Comment

no they are on separate circuits.

Comment

If everything is properly grounded, you have to start a process of elimination. With the radio on, pull the bulbs from one fixture, if no difference, replace and move to the next one, and so on, until you eliminate the radio interference. Then try new tubes or replace the ballast. I hope you didn't use crap from Home Depot, or you may be repeating the whole exercise.

Comment

are these plug in fixtures or hard-wired?
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys for the help I will try to eliminate one light at a time, they are hard wired and ballast are new from lighting supplier. When lights are off radio works great I have another fluorescent (4 bulb)
                over the workbench with regular ballast does not cause interference and is about the same distance and yes tried different radios Ken

Comment

I finally got around to the light fixtures, I tried to eliminate one fixture at a time as per killivolt but didn't solve the problem I don't know what to try next except maybe going back to regular
                  ballast and t-12 bulbs, got over a hundred dollars in these four fixtures. thanks for all the help. PS I also tried a strip that had a rfi and emi in it no good. ken

Comment

If possible return the ballasts that are noisy..they should be quiet!
                    Likely they are big box store china junk!
                    Look for the FCC, CE, and UL listing

The electronic ballast can often act like the noisy switching power supplies
                    If you have noise simply dry a different brand or unit!

These can generate so much grunge into the power line and over the air that they are
                    simply trash out of the box! You may never be able to externally filter the noise out!

Have you tried reinstalling the original ballast to see if the noise goes away?
                    If the lights work with the old ballast why replace them?

You may also want to try different lamps as they too can generate noise!

You never indicated if the radio interference was gone with the lights turned off....

Another noise generator are tool battery chargers. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation Ridgid
                    battery chargers are quiet! I know of some black and Decker, Skill and really old DeWalt chargers
                    that are terribly noisy!

Cactus Man

Comment

is the radio grounded?

we had a projector at church that had lines going through it, and finally discovered that the ground had interference on it (conduit) from the dimmers in the building, when the ground isolator was used, (a special device for some electronics that keep the ground in tact but some how isolates it), but one can test it with a three to two prong adaptor,

I have a cheap radio in my meat cutting room and turning/rotation it and location, it makes a big difference on how the radio is orientated to the direction of the station, (or the lights),
                      to one way all you get is buzz and the other the radio is usable, (this is on AM),
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

radio works great with lights off. Would it hurt to try t-12s in the fixture to see if its the bulbs? I switched to electronic ballast because I heard they start
                        better in the cold like high output.

ken

Comment

the documentation you got with the ballast should tell you what lamps are compatible with it.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X