Megger testers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megger testers

Will an inexpensive megger tester , around $100.00 do the job ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Megger testers

Depends on what the job is.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
      Depends on what the job is.
      Pretty much to see if the wire insulation has broken down .
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

they will work ok but its better to get a good quality one and keep up to date on its calibration.
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Pretty much to see if the wire insulation has broken down .
          We don't know your criteria for your testing. Some companies/Engineers have stringent testing specs that have to be adhered to. Different applications requires different testing methods. More expensive models have higher voltage ranges and better repeatability. An inexpensive model is good enough simple insulation checks of smaller wire/cable but are nowhere near as reliable. A megger can be used just as a rough idea of insulation or critical testing where lives depend on it. Example, If I am megger to check a buss jack before stabbing hot, I would certainly never rely on a cheapie megger. I recommend avoiding the old crank types because the repeatability sucks. Reliability is critical for Preventive maintenance where documentation is key.

Comment

Great info. Guys ,thanks I ordered a cheapy from Amazon. Supco M500 insulation tester electronic Megohmmeter $ 89.99 . It will not get much use. Good to check Nm Arc Fault [ staples driven too far ] before sheet rock ect.
            I have a customer with a hot tub. Heater died, Guy replaced heater, then the breaker trips! Will test insulation , and do a resistance test on heater. I'm betting on a bad heater. Tanks Tool

Comment

Be very careful that nothing (including dimmer switches) is connected to the branch circuits you are testing or you will smoke them.

Have fun with your new toy.

Comment

Working...
              X