X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live circuit tracer

Im looking for a live circuit tracer to find what breaker it is on.
    What should I be looking for. The price range is big. Should I go cheap?
    What brand.
    Any help will help.
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Live circuit tracer

I originally had a "cheap" circuit tracer I experienced a lot of false readings.

I purchased the IDEAL model 61-532..I really do not recall the price but it was
    not overly expensive.

This is also the model used by two electricians [professionals] I know, so I figured if it's
    good enough for them it will be fine for me!

It uses an analog receiver and it may take a few tries to get the hang of using it.
    At first I was perplexed as I could not isolate a specific circuit. Well after carefully reading the
    operating manual and following the instructions; after three tries I scored and it works quite well.

Now I need to understand how the hell this house was wired by a so called licensed electrician
    in 1966 and how it passed code!..Oh wait..building inspectors did not arrive in Phoenix Metro until
    the 1980's!

My house wiring is all over the place! I can have a hall at one end of the house tied to light
    in the laundry room at the other end of the house!.....

Well bottom line, all circuits are now identified in lieu of any logic...
    The 61-532 performed very well..I did verify by turning the breaker off and noted what it controlled.

Cactus Man

Comment

I have and like Triplett 9650 sniff it $18.01 Amazon Also triplett 3388 hot wire fox and hound $132.32 Amazon ,this is the Balls
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have an audio circuit tracer from Harborfreight and it did the job I bought it for well. It helped trace and find a couple of unexplained electrical problems in my home.

Comment

I have an Extech CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder which I got at Lowes for about $40 I think.
          I've had it a couple years and it works. There is a slight learning curve in getting to scan
          the breaker panel to locate the correct breaker.

With any of these devices, no matter who makes it, don't trust them 100%.
          Live-dead-live test is your best bet for staying safe, but these tracers will save
          you time in locating the correct breaker.

Ideal also makes one for about $50 which I have used and works well.
          IDEAL 61-534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder

Klien and others also offer their versions, the Extech and Ideal are the
          only two I have first hand expierence with.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Charlie, before my shocking games, I just did it on the fly. Why do you think I play that game now

Rick.1
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Charlie, before my shocking games, I just did it on the fly. Why do you think I play that game now

Rick.1
              I was told this. In the 50s an electrician would use has thumb and fore finger in panel fuse holes to test. He did it lightly and got a little rap.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I impressed phoebe and she impressed her classmates last week for show and tell. She has a new toy that lights up and makes noise. Looks like an 9" test tube with foil ends. When you touch both ends the leds light up and the piezzo makes noise. She got a kick out of it when we held hands and then each touched 1 end and it worked. Then put joey in between us and it still worked. Then she took it to school and had 18 kids hold hands and the 2 at the ends touched the tube and it still lit up.

That even impressed her teachers.

Maybe I'll bring my shcoking toys for open house with the parents and step up the game.

Rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-16-2013, 11:11 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

You are an Awesome Dad !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I have and like Triplett 9650 sniff it $18.01 Amazon Also triplett 3388 hot wire fox and hound $132.32 Amazon ,this is the Balls
                    Have you used the Hot Wire fox and hound at all.
                    Im looking to find what breaker some outlets are. I cant just start flipping breakers, Its a big building with some things I just cant shut off.
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      Have you used the Hot Wire fox and hound at all.
                      Im looking to find what breaker some outlets are. I cant just start flipping breakers, Its a big building with some things I just cant shut off.
                      No, I haven't a need since I bought it. But I.m headed to My shop Now, and will report back later

Comment

I did use the triplett sniff it $18.01 at the shop today. It's the best breaker locator I've ever used. Spot on nails the breakers, no Guessing. I know the fox and hound rocks from an electrician friend.

Comment

Working...
                        X