Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Use circuit breaker to operate tornado siren at midnight, New Year's Eve? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use circuit breaker to operate tornado siren at midnight, New Year's Eve?

We do not have any circuit breakers with enough amperage to operate the siren on 120 VAC.
    So it is connected to its 240-Volt leads.

Can I switch it on and off with the circuit breaker?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Use circuit breaker to operate tornado siren at midnight, New Year's Eve?

Did you mean you do not have a switch capable of handling the amperage of the siren? If not, you can switch it on and off with the CB with the eventual detriment to the CB if everything is wired properly.

Comment

use a contactor to run the 220 volt and 110 to run the contactor (if it has a 110 volt coil) with a N.O, pushbutton switch
      you can ask an electrician to set one up for you.
      using a cb to switch circuits off and on will shorten the life of the trip mechanism of the cb
      Last edited by gnuuser; 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM. Reason: added info
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

How does it operate if there is a tornado?

I would be concerned that without a proper disconnect / switch in a visible location that when one comes through that it would not be set off in time because people don't activate the right breaker in time.

Comment

Re: Sorry. I forgot. It's 24 amps at 120 VAC. So that's 12 or 13 amps at 240 V.

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
          Did you mean you do not have a switch capable of handling the amperage of the siren? If not, you can switch it on and off with the CB with the eventual detriment to the CB if everything is wired properly.
          A light switch should handle it.
          I'm running 12 AWG to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
            How does it operate if there is a tornado?

I would be concerned that without a proper disconnect / switch in a visible location that when one comes through that it would not be set off in time because people don't activate the right breaker in time.
            It is a retired tornado siren destined for scrap metal company.

I installed the three-phase 10 hp Federal Signal 2t22A tornado siren at my fire station.
            This smaller one I brought home.
            Temporarily wired to the service panel with 12 AWG cable to a light switch.

Comment

Re: Used a 15-amp light switch.

No making noise pealing the bells of the Denver City and County Building.

Youqing (wife) was hoping a hospital would call for a blood transport so I would not be home at midnight so we would not be fined by our HOA.

At 11:50 p.m. I hauled the heavy 2-horsepower tornado siren out to the street.
              Earlier, I had connected 12-2 cable through the 240-Volt 20-amp circuit breaker which feeds the 2-burner glass cooktop.

Called the National Institute of Standards and Time (NIST) atomic clock at (303) 499-7111.
              At PRECISELY 00:00:00 January 1, 2014, I turned on the light switch connected to one of the wires.

As the siren wound down, a neighbor woman came down the sidewalk and said "Oh my god. Oh my god. What's happening? Is that for New Year's?"
              I said, "Yes! What did you think it was? A tornado"?
              "I don't know..............I don't know." as she walked back to her house.
              I think she had been sleeping and was actually confused.

Inside our house, Sheeler, our used poodle, was shaking.

Siren now disconnected and in the garage.

What siren?
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-01-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X