Christmas call out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas call out.

One of my long time customers had a problem with a breaker tripping off his Christmas lighting. I installed a new receptacle and new wire back to the panel with a new breaker, essentially a new circuit which worked flawlessly. I charged him $450 because it was an easy run back to the panel not involving a lot of material. When I gave him the price, he got this funny look on his face and I am thinking did I charge too much? He said the price was too cheap and gave me $600 and said Merry Christmas. I guess there are people out there who appreciate what we do for them.

Re: Christmas call out.

some do, few voice it. others dont give two craps and think service people owe them something.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Some people really appreciate good quality service without hassles.
      Others feel any service is owed to them!

It's like when a man's handshake meant something!
      Have you shaken the hand of a twenty year old lately? feels like a wet dead fish!

Cactus Man

Comment

i still run my business by handshake and word. it's a matter of trust. will i get burned? sure, but those people will burn you anyway.

i had a lady today, first time caller. no other plumber or heating guy would show up. they're recovering from a creek flood and burst hot water pipe. she was so grateful that i even answered the phone. something as simple as answering will many times result in future calls to that customer.
        ~~

Comment

I used to have an HVAC partner who failed the smell test. (another story). We went to look at a job at a school teacher's house to install central A/C. She said she had several contractors come over to estimate the job but none of them had ever came back with a quote. In the kitchen next to the STOVE were two overflowing litter boxes filled with cat droppings. Opposite the litter boxes was the basement door with a pull down staircase to access the attic. Downstairs, where the panel was, were these things that looked like rolled up socks but were actually dog doo with some kind of growth on them and puddles of dog urine in several places. I told her to clean up all this crap and we would come and do the job, but before I ordered the material I would have to come over and inspect the cleanup project first. The family did an OK job so we didn't have to risk stepping in crap as we were running wire in the basement to the outside unit, the litter boxes were emptied but the house still stunk. We did the job, charged an extra $1,000 and when I had check in hand told her the hygiene of her house was what caused the other contractors to pass on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            I used to have an HVAC partner who failed the smell test. (another story). We went to look at a job at a school teacher's house to install central A/C. She said she had several contractors come over to estimate the job but none of them had ever came back with a quote. In the kitchen next to the STOVE were two overflowing litter boxes filled with cat droppings. Opposite the litter boxes was the basement door with a pull down staircase to access the attic. Downstairs, where the panel was, were these things that looked like rolled up socks but were actually dog doo with some kind of growth on them and puddles of dog urine in several places. I told her to clean up all this crap and we would come and do the job, but before I ordered the material I would have to come over and inspect the cleanup project first. The family did an OK job so we didn't have to risk stepping in crap as we were running wire in the basement to the outside unit, the litter boxes were emptied but the house still stunk. We did the job, charged an extra $1,000 and when I had check in hand told her the hygiene of her house was what caused the other contractors to pass on the job.
            i hate these houses and always charge extra for them. whether or not i tell them is based on how they treat me and if they follow the cleanup commentary i made.
            ~~

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              One of my long time customers had a problem with a breaker tripping off his Christmas lighting. I installed a new receptacle and new wire back to the panel with a new breaker, essentially a new circuit which worked flawlessly. I charged him $450 because it was an easy run back to the panel not involving a lot of material. When I gave him the price, he got this funny look on his face and I am thinking did I charge too much? He said the price was too cheap and gave me $600 and said Merry Christmas. I guess there are people out there who appreciate what we do for them.
              Last year, I had two calls the day before XMAS and I got the calls in the afternoon where the service entrance had problems so the power coy pulled the meters. One was a family with kids and the husband was disabled under one permit department and the second call was a marina where a number of boats were docked and needed power to keep their sump pumps running or they would sink.

I called the pwr coy and told them I would have the repair done within hours and needed to get reconnected when finished. They advised the permit dept would have to fax them authorization. I called the permit dept and nobody showed up the day before Xmas except on inspector and he refused to authorize until permit issued and the electrical inspector approved job. He was the only person in office and could not leave office....even though I advised the family would be in dark and cold until after Xmas. I went to my second job in a different jurisdiction and the pwr coy said they authorized emergency service reconnects. I was able to get a supervisor at the pwr coy to order the reconnect of the dwelling in the dark with the family. The family praised my hard work not only in the repair but in fighting to get their power back on.

Comment

Working...
              X