Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put a junction box behind baseboard heater, to extend a wire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put a junction box behind baseboard heater, to extend a wire?

Hi all,

Some advice for a DIY project.

Due to partitioning a room, I have a baseboard heater in room A (we'll call it Baseboard A) which is controlled by a thermostat in room B (call it Thermostat B). So I added a new baseboard in room B, and I need to connect up the wire from where it comes in to Baseboard A to the new Baseboard B. The wire from Thermostat B to Baseboard A goes through an exterior wall and under a window so replacing it with a longer wire would be mega difficult.

(I am adding a separate, new thermostat in room A to control Baseboard A)

So I've put a new wire from Baseboard A over to Baseboard B, through the floor. Can I use the junction box in Baseboard A to splice these two wires together? i.e the wire that comes in, splice in to the wire that comes out, not having it power the baseboard? (which will be powered, and controlled) by a new wire from Thermostat A)

The problem is that the junction box built in to the baseboard only has space for two incoming wires, and there will be three (the new incoming wire, and the two that I splice together)

So should I put a junction box in the wall behind the junction box in the baseboard? That appears to violate code, which says that the box must be "Accessible without removing anything", and it appears that unscrewing and pulling off the baseboard to access it would violate code. I could I guess move the baseboard over and put the new junction box beside it, but then I'd have to redo the trim around it. Ideally I'd like to just splice the wires in the junction box of the heater.

This is all in an exterior wall, so replacing the two spliced wires with one long one would be very difficult to fish the new wire.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers

mark

Re: Can I put a junction box behind baseboard heater, to extend a wire?

I think you know the answer to this question, but you're hoping someone will make you feel better about 9gnoring what you know.

Do it right and safe. Can't you use the old cable to pull the new one through?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

you should consult with an electrician who can check the circuits out for you.
      adding onto a circuit for another heater is not something you can just do.( because it may not be safe, proper, or legal)
      you need to consider the total current load that will be on the circuit and install the proper sized conductors and breakers
      shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
        you should consult with an electrician who can check the circuits out for you.
        adding onto a circuit for another heater is not something you can just do.( because it may not be safe, proper, or legal)
        you need to consider the total current load that will be on the circuit and install the proper sized conductors and breakers
        A good point - I have checked the current load and it is all OK (I actually replaced the original baseboard with two smaller that sum to the original), I have an electrician friend I consult with on these matters. (he's away right now though, otherwise I wouldn't be asking here!)

Thanks for your responses - I have been looking at the situation again this afternoon and I think the best and safest solution is to move the baseboard over so I can do the splice in a properly exposed junction box. When it comes to heaters drawing lots of current I don't want to take any risks of overheating.

It's not a very visible location so I don't mind having a blank cover there, and redoing the trim is not going to be as much trouble as I thought. Besides, trim carpentry is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Do it right and safe. Can't you use the old cable to pull the new one through?
          I considered this, but how would I do this if the old one is stapled to studs in the wall?

Comment

if they are stapled in the wall its going to be almost impossible without cutting a few holes and looking in with an inspection camera.
            having a few pull holes cut will allow you to snake in a new cable even if the old one cant be removed.
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
            X