X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an automation subforum

I think we could use an automation sub-forum
    it would be neat to pass on a bit of knowledge about it
    some of us have industrial experience with many types of sensors, control schemes, and troubleshooting methods

what do you think guys and gals?
    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Re: an automation subforum

We need a Wall of Shame, too
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

You mean such topics as PLCs, ladder logic, DCS, HART, FieldBus, relay logic
      just to name a few.

Never been much discussion of it around here but there may be interest.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        You mean such topics as PLCs, ladder logic, DCS, HART, FieldBus, relay logic
        just to name a few.

Never been much discussion of it around here but there may be interest.
        yes and the different types of sensors and their uses
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

I would love to talk automation but honestly don't think there's much interest.
          The Electricians forum is not that active so why not just post there?
          Heck, there doesn't even seem to be enough Electricians to warrant an electricians forum.

Comment

thats a shame though because many electricians (resi and commercial) are not aware of how much is involved with industrial
            not just single and 3 phase but a wide array of low and high voltage control systems involved.

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
              thats a shame though because many electricians (resi and commercial) are not aware of how much is involved with industrial
              not just single and 3 phase but a wide array of low and high voltage control systems involved.
              True, but do they want to know? You can't make someone be interested in something their not.

That said; If you'd like to post some new fyi stuff, I would love to read it. One subject I would like to get up to speed on is ALC (automation controllers) I have mostly just dealt with PLC (logic controllers).

The future of automation seems to be moving towards computers and getting away from plc's.
              How about nfpa79 rules, any changes you would like to comment on?

Comment

Such discussion would be an opportunity for many of us to learn from, and I'd like to see it; mostly as a reader as I have no experience there at all.

I do think that one of the problems with this "Electricians Forum" is that there is absolutely TOO MUCH smugness by some electricians that visit here. You don't see that in the other areas like plumbing, carpentry, or construction. But here there are a few electricians that think the forum topic is their exclusive domain and unless you are a licensed electrician you have absolutely NO business here. While I appreciate the higher experience that some of them may have, they are often the exception and some electricians who have posted here are lacking. Whatever the title of the forum, many of us have both education and experiences that may well contribute to the subject.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Such discussion would be an opportunity for many of us to learn from,

Agreed.

I do think that one of the problems with this "Electricians Forum" is that there is absolutely TOO MUCH smugness by some electricians that visit here.

Yep. But only one or two. and they know who they are. there are currently none of those in this discussion right now.

You don't see that in the other areas like plumbing, carpentry, or construction.

Sure you do, just not on this site.

But here there are a few electricians that think the forum topic is their exclusive domain and unless you are a licensed electrician you have absolutely NO business here.

Yep.

While I appreciate the higher experience that some of them may have, they are often the exception and some electricians who have posted here are lacking. Whatever the title of the forum, many of us have both education and experiences that may well contribute to the subject.

It's hard to contribute when what you say is immediately squashed and you're basically pooped upon because you're not able to quote the code chapter and paragraph.

CWS
                  ~~

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    ..problems with this "Electricians Forum" is that there is absolutely TOO MUCH smugness by some electricians that visit here. You don't see that in the other areas like plumbing, carpentry, or construction. But here there are a few electricians that think the forum topic is their exclusive domain and unless you are a licensed electrician you have absolutely NO business here. While I appreciate the higher experience that some of them may have, they are often the exception and some electricians who have posted here are lacking. Whatever the title of the forum, many of us have both education and experiences that may well contribute to the subject.
                    CWS
                    I hope I am one who comes across as smug. But it irritates me when someone gives advice on something they shouldn't. There are reasons for licensing, codes and permits. I'm open to non electricians asking questions or giving opinions, but it should be prefaced by saying "I'm not an electrician" People can and do get killed by listening to the advice of a hack.
                    I too have education and experiences in other trades, but I know when to keep my mouth closed.

Comment

i try not to be smug as i learn every day that things can change rapidly and one can lose touch with it just as quick.
                      Its one of the reasons i constantly study and take refresher courses whenever i can.
                      as an industrial electrician I deal with plc's a lot too, but lately (this past year) I have been brushing up on Java programming!
                      for programming the arduino and raspberry Pi processors (best part of these is they can be programmed via bluetooth from a smartphone)
                      now i for one do not have a problem with others doing some work provided they are sufficiently trained in it
                      and i am quick to point out if something is out of their league
                      I cannot judge what someone is trained in unless they are truthful to me about what they know.
                      if you tell me the level of training you have then i can focus the answers to suit your needs.
                      I have often said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask

and yes i will tell you I dont know everything (but damn close to it)
                      Last edited by gnuuser; 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I have not used arduino yet but I have read a bit about them. I always considered it a hobbyist type thing but I know it's great for R&D and prototype work. In an industrial setting I'm not so sure of its reliability for things like automation or process control. What is your application?
                        Most operating systems "hang" or crash too often to be used in any critical operations. Watchdog circuits will catch when they fail, but the best approach is custom designed circuitry that will perform a specific task.

Agreed, there is always more to learn. And if you don't keep up on it, Technology will leave you in the dust.

Comment

i think thats why pls/slc, and plcc are such a stable platform at the present.
                          arduino, rasbberry and atmega processors are still at the r and d stage
                          there is a need for a dependable redundant power supply system in the event of power failures
                          but they are modular and expandable in various ways
                          but their biggest plus is the fact that they use object oriented programming code, so there is no single proprietary programming language that you have to pay ridiculous prices for

Comment

plumbing automation:

~~

Comment

Basic, Visual Basic and Euphoria are great free programming languages. But again dependent on a stable OS witch in itself can be costly.

Pretty much everything depends on a good power supply. Older power supplies with bulky transformers are much more reliable than newer switching PS models, but their efficiency and cost factor makes them a better option.

Comment

Working...
                              X