14000 Volts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14000 Volts

Caught this on the Blaze. Everyone, be careful out there.

Stunning Images of What Happened to a Man’s Eyes After a 14,000-Volt Shock | TheBlaze.com

Re: 14000 Volts

the blaze... the article and linking article is incomplete

he wasnt electrocuted but he did sustain 14,000 volts at an unknown amperage to his shoulder.

I've taken 10-12,000 volts at milliamps from an oil transformer and my eyes dont look like that.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      the blaze... the article and linking article is incomplete

he wasnt electrocuted but he did sustain 14,000 volts at an unknown amperage to his shoulder.

I've taken 10-12,000 volts at milliamps from an oil transformer and my eyes dont look like that.
      Ive had this debate with joey and her brother, an er dr.

I say Electrocuted is being shocked to death. They say you don't have to die when you're electrocuted.

Glad to see im not the only one that knows the difference.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Well after seeing the article was from "The Blaze" I did not read further

Don't know about the eyes but it only takes milliamps to interference with the heart's pacemaker and cause cardiac arrest. When you touch a source of high voltage you can think of yourself as a resistor obeying Ohm's law and the current that will pass through you will be dictated by your resistance. If you wear suitable shoes for example interfering with conductivity then you resistance increases and the current you conduct to ground decreases. You can be shocked by several thousand volts but if the current is in micro or nano amps then you won't feel much of an effect.

Comment

my fence chargers are in the 13000 to 14000 volt area, according to the manufacture, and besides feeling like you have been hit, there is little end result, but one is not running across the heart, and if you have good rubber sole shoes, and if the ground is dry, there are times one can not even feel it,

but if you get a good bite, it will educate you that you do not want to do it again.

I do not really under stand Joules, (but a rating of amps and time) the fencers are rated 1.5 up to 6.5+. so they have some power to them, there rated for 30+ miles of fence, in this dry sand that is more like 2 miles, of reliable operation,

simply stated, the picture of the guy on the blaze, must have had the power pass through his eyes or some thing,

I had a friend who stood up into a secondary power line (he was on a roof), and was burned a lot, but did not die,

I do not know if you remember the old presto hot dog cooker, it would electrocute the hot dog, to cook/heat it. restance caused heat.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            my fence chargers are in the 13000 to 14000 volt area, according to the manufacture, and besides feeling like you have been hit, there is little end result, but one is not running across the heart, and if you have good rubber sole shoes, and if the ground is dry, there are times one can not even feel it,

but if you get a good bite, it will educate you that you do not want to do it again.

I do not really under stand Joules, (but a rating of amps and time) the fencers are rated 1.5 up to 6.5+. so they have some power to them, there rated for 30+ miles of fence, in this dry sand that is more like 2 miles, of reliable operation,

simply stated, the picture of the guy on the blaze, must have had the power pass through his eyes or some thing,

I had a friend who stood up into a secondary power line (he was on a roof), and was burned a lot, but did not die,

I do not know if you remember the old presto hot dog cooker, it would electrocute the hot dog, to cook/heat it. restance caused heat.
            Joules is simply a measure of total energy - when that energy flows the rate at which is flows over time is current.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

Growing up in farm country when I was in my late adolescense and through my teen years we became fairly familiar with electric fences. Some could give you quite a shock. My grandfather's electric fence and all the one's that I've ever encountered gave a pulse charge, so you couldn't just quickly touch it and be sure if it was on.

I've always been interested in electricity for as long as I can remember, but I've never had to occasion to get near anything above 4,000 Volts, that I am away of. Even then, that Voltage was at extremely low current. (Ingersoll-Rand, for a very short time, had a product called the "Electrostatic Water Treater", that was basically and vessel in which an 4K Volt Electrode was centered; the water passed around the electrode and all foreign matter in the water would be suspended by the electrical exposure... I wrote and illustrated the manuals while it was in the R&D phase. We dropped the product because of severe electrolysis problems, due to mis-application.)

When I was in junior high, we had a shop teacher, show us how to electrocute a hot dog, and that led to a little project of making hot dog cookers using a few nails, partially driven through a small plywood sheet, and then bending them over so you could empale the ends of the "dogs" on them... fasten some lamp cord to the back of the nails and WOW!.... a great way to get electrocuted!!!! No safety cover, no warnings (that I can remember), and boy could it cook a few hotdogs in a big hurry!.

Problem was that it stained the plywood and as a young idiot of 12, I figured a little aluminum foil might solve the staining problem BIG FLASH !!! Then, at a level that I'm sure all of our neighbors could have heard (like screaming), my father called me a few appropriate names appropriate to my particular stupidity of the moment. He then called the school principal. (We all ended up bringing back our "hot dog project". Teacher kept his job though, such were the times when irate parents and lawyers didn't get together very often and thankfully no one else was as finicky about the stains as I had been or at least had not used aluminum foil to bridge the circuit.

CWS

Comment

years ago I saw video (before computer) of some guy killing a flat head engine with his fingers, he put the thumbs on the head and then touched the plugs with it running and grounded out the spark with his hands,

seem like I remember the old coils were still in the thousands of volts, 10 to 20,000,
                and the more modern are up to 40,000 it appears,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You can easily destroy semiconductor ICs with the static electricity which could be upto a few thousand volts generated by the body while handling them. That's why most electronics labs are equipped with ESD protection such as special mats and the people working on the electronics need to wear grounding wrist straps etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Ive had this debate with joey and her brother, an er dr.

I say Electrocuted is being shocked to death. They say you don't have to die when you're electrocuted.

Glad to see im not the only one that knows the difference.

Rick.

From American Heritage, 4th ed.:"electrocute 1.To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire 2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity." And from Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 30th ed.: electrocution: the taking of life by passage of electric current through the body"
                    the British version may include "injury without death" due to their lack of the electric chair penalty.
                    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My hands got stuck on a gas pipe years back , I had to use my feet to break them free
                      All them my younger years i spent on a shock machine at the arcade payed off

Comment

I got my degree in consumer electronics in 1979 and spent the next nine years in that field. CRT televisions have an anode voltage on the tube that ranges from 23,000 to 32,000 VDC. Been bit by that hundreds of times, no permanent damage. At least not physical damage. Wife says that scrambled neurons in the ol' pumpkin are readily evident.
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

From American Heritage, 4th ed.:"electrocute 1.To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire 2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity." And from Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 30th ed.: electrocution: the taking of life by passage of electric current through the body"

I agree, but the oxford English dictionary doesn't and that's what he's using to contradict me. he might be have a md and phd, but i'm a plumber and know better.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Oh to be Rick and never wrong.

What more could you ask for?

TWO of everything and THREE of everything else. :-)
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

it only makes sense that electrocuted is death by electricity. otherwise it's a bad shock. try convincing my wife and her brother that i'm right. he comes back with the oxford English dictionary that says otherwise.

i'm sure any electrician knows the difference between a shock and electrocuted. now just try to convince the E.R. DR. that along with the wife.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X