Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 14000 Volts

the star you see is the lens outer layer torn form pressure in the lens
    the cataract itself is from protein damage.
    typically the damage occurs as a result of age but can be brought on by a trauma to the lens.
    the lens in the eye consists of a solid core, a viscous gel and an outer sac(to which small muscles are attached).
    when you focus on something you are looking at the muscles stretch the sac into a thinner lens shape, or relax it to a thicker shape.
    this changes the diopter effect allowing for a larger range of vision.
    cataract surgery opens the sac and removes the lens core. and implants a prescribed plastic lens into the sac.
    the front of the sac is trimmed back as not to impede the lens
    ( ive had cataract surgery and lens implants myself and am quite familiar with the procedure)
    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

at first I thought you were an eye dr. that switched professions when you got the electricians bill.

I hear this from my dr. customers. best 1 was the dr. comes home to find the plumbers truck in the driveway and says to himself "i hope my wife is having an affair"

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

no my mother was a registered nurse and i studied with her so I have a very extensive knowledge in the medical field.

by the way if your eye doc recommends cataract surgery and implants dont hesitate at all (no pain at all and now only have to wear glasses for reading)
        before surgery I couldn't see 2 feet without glasses.
        now my distance vision is clear enough to qualify me as a sniper
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
          no my mother was a registered nurse and i studied with her so I have a very extensive knowledge in the medical field.

by the way if your eye doc recommends cataract surgery and implants dont hesitate at all (no pain at all and now only have to wear glasses for reading)
          before surgery I couldn't see 2 feet without glasses.
          now my distance vision is clear enough to qualify me as a sniper

Yes, but make damn sure that your Doc explains EVERYTHING to you and asks you your preferance for the proper lens. IT is by no means as easy and as problem free as everyone believes.

I've not had cataract surgery myself, but my wife had it on her first eye about two years ago. She was going to one of the best eye surgeons in NY Southern Tier, (or so everybody says and recommends). While the surgery itself was "perfection", the guy's arrogance (my term) was deplorable. He never asked her about her vision habits, and gave her a lens for distance. She has never driven, and all her endeavors are for things like cooking, baking, reading, etc. She now can't see to do anything that she loves to do and for the first time in her life, has to wear glasses. A total PIA. Not only that, but the surgery introduced an abundance of floaters, which blocks much of her vision.... so though they claim that she has 20-20 distance vision in that eye, she can barely see anything because of the heavy floaters blocking it.

(It's like having a new prescription glasses... the lens may give you 20-20 vision at distance, but they are so spotted with paint you can barely see anything, and anything is just a blurr up close.)

CWS

Comment

Old crank telephone generators. My 2 older cousins were mechanical monkeys at an early age. They were both kicked off the school bus for a year , for this stunt. One cranked his little heart out turning the handle, Then Jeff stuck the 2 wires in little Shirley's neck ,in the seat in front of them! Not nice to tattle on Lil Irishman ! Grade school, no less !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              Yes, but make damn sure that your Doc explains EVERYTHING to you and asks you your preferance for the proper lens. IT is by no means as easy and as problem free as everyone believes.

I've not had cataract surgery myself, but my wife had it on her first eye about two years ago. She was going to one of the best eye surgeons in NY Southern Tier, (or so everybody says and recommends). While the surgery itself was "perfection", the guy's arrogance (my term) was deplorable. He never asked her about her vision habits, and gave her a lens for distance. She has never driven, and all her endeavors are for things like cooking, baking, reading, etc. She now can't see to do anything that she loves to do and for the first time in her life, has to wear glasses. A total PIA. Not only that, but the surgery introduced an abundance of floaters, which blocks much of her vision.... so though they claim that she has 20-20 distance vision in that eye, she can barely see anything because of the heavy floaters blocking it.

(It's like having a new prescription glasses... the lens may give you 20-20 vision at distance, but they are so spotted with paint you can barely see anything, and anything is just a blurr up close.)

CWS

I have floaters naturally ever since I could remember. The most dominant shapes are dots and barbells. There are sometimes jointed lines or circular shapes like hexagons.

They are most problematic when trying to concentrate on some background that is a light or bright color such as a blue sky. They tend to move with eye movement and can float as they please. According to the eye doctor there is no "cure" for floaters.

I've become good enough that I can see the floaters with relatively good precision. It takes some practice. Another neat trick, found while concentrating on these particles, is that I can block out small objects by placing my eye just right so that the dead spot where the optic nerve connects registers no object. That is, the object you expect to be there vanishes and a slight eye movement brings it back. Closing one eye helps to make it work but it can be done with both open. Sometimes it's easy to get it right in a dark room and concentrating on a distant clock or lit led on an appliance.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that you've had them for as long as you can remember. Patty's are so bad that she is really handicapped by them. In her case, she had a few minor floaters starting about six years ago, but as a result of her cateract surgery they are in great abundance now, and the surgery on her other eye has resulted in more floaters there too.

While I'm sure that the results are peculiar to her eyes, there certainly is the possibility that others may have the same concerns. The problem of course is that cateract surgery is so common place today that people thing there is nothing whatsoever to be concerned with. While that's alright I suppose, it certainly isn't alright when some of those people are the very doctors who are going to perform that surgery and don't investigate further and/or inform their patients as to the probabilities of it. In my wife's case, she's alledgedly got 20/20 vision... but that is only if she can see through the cloud of brown spots.

For myself, I now have floaters in my right eye. Mostly they are just annoying, but their form is different than decribed by my wife. While her's are abundant an opaque, mine are mostly like whispy smoke, with only one real black spot that is like a smeared ellipse. I got those about three years ago when I slipped on a rather steep bank that I was mowing. Strange really, as all I did was fall on my butt, with the immediate results being nothing more than a grass stain on my jeans. But that night while watching TV, I thought there was a flying insect or something in the room, and after a couple of swipes at it, I realized it wasn't an insect, but a shadow in my eye. I went to the Dr. a couple days later and he could see the floaters and told me that they'll just settle out eventually. Well, three years later they are still there.

For me they are nothing more than an annoyance, and for the most part I can see beyond them just fine. The biggest problem is when I drive any great distance (and we go back and forth between the Painted Post and Binghamton twice a month - 150 miles round trip). With driving, my eyes are constantly moving and that seems to really stir up the floaters. I've always suffered with headaches, mostly every day, but that drive now gives me much worse headaches, to the point where I am fatigued by them. My biggest concern with the floaters is that I will get more, taking nothing more than a simple fall. And that has happened twice this winter, thanks to very icy conditions. No bruises or anything like that, but I gained a new floater in my right eye. It's like I feel really stupid, thinking that at only 69, I've got to be concerned with some minor impact causing eye damage.

CWS

Comment

floaters are common and occur more frequently with age or trauma
                  in general they are not much of a problem with most people but they do occur more in people who may have a family history of diabetes and or heart problems.
                  try using a shade of sunglasses thats tinted yellow or pink this eases it a bit and cuts down on any glare
                  (my cataracts were causing multiple images (3 ine one eye and 2 in the other).
                  daytime driving wasnt too bad but at night it was a nightmare
                  also you young guys get sunglasses with a high uv blocking index.

cw your wife may need to have the lens laser cleaned
                  protein builds up on the lens and may need lasered off.
                  yours sounds more like a small retinal tear( if if stay in one place)(hopefully its not)
                  these can occur from a jarring fall
                  Last edited by gnuuser; 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the insight (could that be a pun )

No tear, I called the Doc the very next morning, after the fall, and he examined it the following day. Just apparently part of the vitrious wall I think that is what it is called) is now suspended in the fluid and what I'm seeing is the shadows of that debris against the optic nerve. Everything just floats around, and as I see it, if I'm watching TV, reading, on the computer, etc. where the eyes are steadily focused, the floaters are hardly noticeable... BUT, when I'm driving and my focus is constantly darting around (mirrors, side-to-side, front and rear traffic, etc.) the floaters are sort of stirred up and are moving around a lot.

I've always been very much aware of my sight, spending way too much time in the arts, on the drawing board, photography, etc. Also used to do a bit of flying, so 'vision' is extremely important and I've always worn sunglasses, kept my presciption right up to date, semi-annual vision exams, etc. My wife on the other hand, is pretty much a homebody, refuses to wear sunglasses for any reason, and most of her interests are home-based kind of things.

I did ask her eye-surgeon if NOT wearing sunglasses for all those years (UV rays) could have made her eyes more susceptable to this floater problem, and he said, "NO".... it is just some people get them and others do not. I'm the one who is a diabetic (Type 2 and well-controlled) and in her family no diabetes or heart problem history whatsoever.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                    X