Spa disconnect huming the blues !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa disconnect huming the blues !!

Connecticut Electric 50 Amp. 240 volt spa disconnect 10 Years old has a constant hum . Should I just replace it ? And If so any recommendations for Brand ? Thanks in advance Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Spa disconnect huming the blues !!

since it's a pretty basic design. wouldn't it just be a loose and burnt contact that's heating up and humming?

isn't a complete new one about $50.00? swap it, it's cheap.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

here, a non-fused 60A 240V disconnect is about $9.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It's about $100.00 at Home Cheapo . In's An 8"x 14" metal box with cover . sets close to spa
        Last edited by toolaholic; 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

wouldnt an AC disconnect be sufficient? it's a metal box, with a cover, designed for outdoor usage (water, weather, etc)
          ~~

Comment

Wouldn't a spa disconnect require a gfi incorporated into it? Might be why it's a $100.00?

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Maybe I'll try an electronic contact cleaner

Comment

National Electrical Code (NEC) requires:

Hard wiring the spa into a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)-protected 220-240V - 50- or 60-amp
                dedicated circuit.

This can be done using a GFCI breaker in the load center serving the spa/pool or a spa disconnect located near the spa.

The spa panel be more than 5-feet-from and within the line of sight of the spa.

If the GFCI breaker in the load center option is used, you can use a un-fused disconnect at the spa.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Wouldn't a spa disconnect require a gfi incorporated into it? Might be why it's a $100.00?

Rick.
                  I had ***-U-MEd that the GFCI was in the panel. It would seem to me to be an excessive cost to have 2 breakers in the system (1 regular, 1 GFCI).
                  ~~

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                    National Electrical Code (NEC) requires:

Hard wiring the spa into a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)-protected 220-240V - 50- or 60-amp
                    dedicated circuit.

This can be done using a GFCI breaker in the load center serving the spa/pool or a spa disconnect located near the spa.

The spa panel be more than 5-feet-from and within the line of sight of the spa.

If the GFCI breaker in the load center option is used, you can use a un-fused disconnect at the spa.
                    I installed and wired this service ,It's all to code and inspected . Why the Hum , Please ? Love to learn! I will probably replace the unit,anyway.
                    Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      I installed and wired this service ,It's all to code and inspected . Why the Hum , Please ? Love to learn! I will probably replace the unit,anyway.
                      Thank You

Either the breaker is failing internally or the breaker connection to the buss is loose or corroded and making a poor connection. A poor connection to the buss will be visible if you turn off the power and pull the breaker.

Comment

Could be a loose connection on the buss behind the breaker. Try reseating it and make sure all screws are tight. Another reason they make noise is dust getting on the armature of the contacts. Often people drill holes in the enclosure and the tiny metal filings work their way into the armature (an electromagnet)

Some times an air hose can blow it out. Some times just cycling the handle a few times makes it go away.

I did not look up the type breaker/contactor you have but some have adjustments for spring tensions that can be tightened.

Make sure the reset and test buttons work as designed.

If its a minor hum, I would ignore it. If its a loud buzzing, have it looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                          Could be a loose connection on the buss behind the breaker. Try reseating it and make sure all screws are tight. Another reason they make noise is dust getting on the armature of the contacts. Often people drill holes in the enclosure and the tiny metal filings work their way into the armature (an electromagnet)

Some times an air hose can blow it out. Some times just cycling the handle a few times makes it go away.

I did not look up the type breaker/contactor you have but some have adjustments for spring tensions that can be tightened.

Make sure the reset and test buttons work as designed.

If its a minor hum, I would ignore it. If its a loud buzzing, have it looked at.
                          Thank You John, That is Awesome Information .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Connecticut Electric 50 Amp. 240 volt spa disconnect 10 Years old has a constant hum . Should I just replace it ? And If so any recommendations for Brand ? Thanks in advance Tool
                            10 years old ? could be a nest of hornets lol.
                            sounds like a loose connection or loose blade in the disconnect (clips or rivets worn out)

an added note worn rivets in the pivot point will show some burn marks around the edges and the blades may be discolored a bit
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                              10 years old ? could be a nest of hornets lol.
                              sounds like a loose connection or loose blade in the disconnect (clips or rivets worn out)

an added note worn rivets in the pivot point will show some burn marks around the edges and the blades may be discolored a bit
                              More great info ! You Guys ROCK !

Comment

Working...
                              X