Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 2'' PVC pipe from Attic to Basement

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new home and was considering installing a security surveillance system in the future. I think the security system comes 100 ft. BNC cables that has both power and cable in one. So I read in a lot of places that running a 2'' conduit is the best for future wiring but i don't know how to or where to run it from. Right now, the framing is almost done and they haven't started with pre-wiring for things yet. So I think the timing is the best right now since the drywall is not up yet. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by shawnmc111; 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM.

If you just have an open pipe near centrally located in the house would minimize the length of cable needed to go from any camera to your dvr. Then when you do decide where you want to place everything it will be clear from the attic to the basement even if you install one camera at a time. In through the attic, over to the pipe,down into the basement and over to the dvr.

Comment

Originally posted by LG Maintenance View Post
      If you just have an open pipe near centrally located in the house would minimize the length of cable needed to go from any camera to your dvr. Then when you do decide where you want to place everything it will be clear from the attic to the basement even if you install one camera at a time. In through the attic, over to the pipe,down into the basement and over to the dvr.
      Thanks for help. My imagining of the situation is following right now. I will have a 1-1/2'' or 2'' pvc pipe in a centrally located position. But let's say I want to install the cameras on the corners of the house, which means I have to run the BNC cable from the corner of the attic to the PVC pipe then down to the basement. Is that cable coming from the corner to the pipe should be covered with something or is it ok to run just the cable? I hope my question makes sense, I don't want to cause a fire or something you know.

Comment

It doesn't need to be in anything. No chance of fire at all.

Comment

because it is low voltage cabling and shielded it doesn't need to go through conduit but your conduit would actually be considered as communication trunking
          pvc conduit would be fine for this.
          just run extra pulling cords for future use.
          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Just make sure you don't strip the cable insulation on the cut edge of the vertical pipe when your are pulling any thing through it. If if was using conduit I would use a bushing fitting for protection.

Comment

Working...
            X