Basic Question about amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Question about amps

I am not an electrician...but you will know that as soon as you read my question!

I have a Philips Respironics portable oxygen concentrator that my wife uses most nights when we travel. It simply plugs into the wall outlet and works fine. It does not have a battery pack. We are planning a trip soon by car and it would be nice to be able to use the oxygen concentrator in the car on occasion if necessary.

On the bottom of the concentrator it says "13 - 19V - 7.9A max". The machine comes with the appropriate power supply that I can plug into the wall and then into the machine. If I want to use the concentrator in the car with the car's 12V battery, I need a plug-in to the lighter into which I can plug the concentrator's power supply (which has a regular two progged plug). Most of the power converters I have seen that will plug into the lighter produce less than the 7.9 amps required. If I use a converter that provides fewer amps then 7.9, for example only 4 amps, will I damage the $1800 oxygen concentrator? Or will the concentrator work less efficiently or ?

Thanks for your help!

You will burn out the adapter-converter and possibly damage the machine. You need to know the draw of the power box, rather than what the machine requires, and the power type (ac or DC) before you buy a converter.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The power supply is rated as 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz, 2.0A Max from the wall socket and (19V, 7.9A going into the concentrator.) There is an eight pin plug going into the concentrator.

Comment

you will need a inverter, that has at least (IMO), with 10 amps preferable 12 amps out put, 1200 to 1400 watts, and may need to be batter direct wired, the inverter would be pulling approx. 80 plus amps DC, from the battery, to power the concentrator, if you size it just to the minimal requirements most like the life of the unit will be short as it will be working at max all the time,

Is there possibility to get a auto adaptor from the manufacturer? because your using one adaptor to increases the power and a second to reduce the voltage, and depending on how well the second unit plays with the first, it may be a disaster regardless, some power supply do not play well with inverters,
        ~~On the bottom of the concentrator it says "13 - 19V - 7.9A max". The machine comes with the appropriate power supply that I can plug into the wall and then into the machine
        if that input is DC, most likely it would run directly off the cars power system as when the engine is running the alternator puts out 14 volts, if that is AC input then it would take a special inverter power supply,

contact the manufacture and use there recommendation, $1800 is a lot to chance on not doing it correctly. IMO
        Last edited by BHD; 07-13-2014, 11:12 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          if that input is DC, most likely it would run directly off the cars power system as when the engine is running the alternator puts out 14 volts, if that is AC input then it would take a special inverter power supply,
          This is what I was thinking, too. But not knowing AC or DC (input to the concentrator) is the problem. I'd bet the mabnufacturer has a solution already. Maybe even an auto-ready concentrator unit.
          ~~

Comment

Don't reinvent the wheel and possibly damage your machine:

http://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.c...FTJp7AodRn8AiQ

Comment

The adapter above says nothing about the output voltage and type, or whether it is compatible with the OP's machine model. The question is also whether or not it will run the machine or just charge the battery.
              ~~

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                Don't reinvent the wheel and possibly damage your machine:

http://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.c...FTJp7AodRn8AiQ

What you are showing is the car adapter for the SimplyGo model. That is the model with a battery pack. That model is truly portable. We have the SimplyFlow model which is strictly a plug in to the wall model. I however want the ability to use it in the car if necessary.

Comment

I am guessing it would work,

http://simplygo.respironics.com/specifications.html

~~DC power Input 11.5 to 16 VDC 18 A max
                  Output 19 VDC 7.9 A max
                  AC power Input 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.7 A max
                  Output 19 VDC 7.9 A max
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I just did an on-line chat with the Respironics people and asked them if the Simply Go adapter would work with the SimplyFlo. They said no "it might hurt the car". I am not really sure that they know if it will work or not. That is why I came to this forum.

Comment

well they did not say it would hurt the machine, and about all it could do to the car is blow the fuse or trip the circuit breaker,

, and if the spec, are the same, for power draw between the two machines and it works on one with OUT damage to the car, how could it damage the car on the other machine?

look up parts and see if the AC adapter number is the same for both models? if it is most likely the DC power supply would work fine,

they most likely will not say yes if they think they can get to spring $2000+ for there portable unit,

~~some times you may find out more from a dealer than the company or a repair shop for them.

(now I do not know if it will work or not, but proceed at your own risk).

look what I found, ~~DC Power Cord for SimplyGo & SimplyFlo Oxygen Concentrators
                      http://www.directhomemedical.com/108...l#.U8SdjlJOX5o
                      Call them and talk to them.
                      Last edited by BHD; 07-14-2014, 10:34 PM.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        well they did not say it would hurt the machine, and about all it could do to the car is blow the fuse or trip the circuit breaker,

, and if the spec, are the same, for power draw between the two machines and it works on one with OUT damage to the car, how could it damage the car on the other machine?

look up parts and see if the AC adapter number is the same for both models? if it is most likely the DC power supply would work fine,

they most likely will not say yes if they think they can get to spring $2000+ for there portable unit,

~~some times you may find out more from a dealer than the company or a repair shop for them.

(now I do not know if it will work or not, but proceed at your own risk).

look what I found, ~~DC Power Cord for SimplyGo & SimplyFlo Oxygen Concentrators
                        http://www.directhomemedical.com/108...l#.U8SdjlJOX5o
                        Call them and talk to them.
                        BHD, Good job! I just spoke with this supplier and they said this will work just fine. It is really the regular DC power supply and it works on both th SimplyGo and SimplyFlo!!! Respironics really just doesnotwant you to know this.

Thanks very much. Problem solved!

Comment

• toolaholic
                          toolaholic commented
                          Editing a comment
                          God bless Your wife and the kind souls that helped You both.
                          Happy trails

"13 - 19V - 7.9A max" Is kind of misleading; What needs to be limited is the voltage not the current. The machine may only draw 7.9 amperes but there would be nothing wrong with hooking it up to a supply that has a higher rating. For example you could hook it up to a cigarette lighter plug of your car (provided its DC) that may have the potential to deliver 40 or 50 amperes, yet it will still only draw the current it requires (less than 8A) That said, it's a good idea to limit the current by adding an inline fuse (8amp fuse) to protect the machine.

That car adapter boosts the output voltage to 19volts but I don't see where its necessary because you would be within the 13-19V spec. I'd just make sure to plug it in only while the car is running to ensure it's around 14V.

Comment

Working...
                        X