Customers refrig. Died , but

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers refrig. Died , but

When I plugged it into A non kitchen outlet it ran ? It was plugged into a 15 Amp GFCI which would keep tripping ? This was off a 30 Amp breaker! Typical 1958 Eichler with 100 Amp. Zinsco Eichler panel. Changed breaker to Zinsco 20 Amp breaker. Changed outlet to 20 Amp regular outlet. All is well.She is a neighbor and single Mom , that just lost Her job. She needs a new panel , but there's no money. She also
    had Her Sewer back up! I cleared the main and saw dirt. She said she gets dirt in Her tub ? I have a friend that will camera N locate the break in the old clay lateral for $100.00 cash. She can pay Me it all when She's back to work . and make EZ Payments with Me. Folks have helped Me plenty back in the day, Nice to be able to give back, And I know Rick N Others do the same here . Be well Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Your a good man Toolaholic

Comment

Glad you can and are willing to help her,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Why was it plugged into a GFCI in the first place?

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

• toolaholic
          toolaholic commented
          Editing a comment
          I have no idea

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps its within 6ft of a sink?

Older GFCI breakers dont play well with things that have ballasts or ballast-like components. In refrigerators sometimes the start components can cause a trip, but more likely, the compressor windings are starting to break down. The current leakage to ground will trip the GFCI breaker.

Once the compressor burns out, it'll be a catastrophic loss of everything. Please tell her to get a new fridge ASAP.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, but I wouldn't say the refrigerator needs to be replaced asap. She may get another 10 years out of it.

Some equipment with microprocessors in them have problems with GFIs and I am wondering if some of the newer appliances do/will too. Now that the average fridge has Wi-Fi and what is basically an android tablet display in the door plus many now have VFD motors might be the problem.

GFIs don't last forever as we know, so I am not shocked that you needed to replace it. I read somewhere that newer GFIs (last 10 years I think) will fail open and can't be reset when the detector circuit no longer functions properly. Don't know if that's true but that would be a PITA if you didn't have a spare available or the knowledge to replace it yourself.

I've only replaced a couple of the GFI receptacles in our house but probably should replace the rest since they are most likely as old as the house (1987). Same for GFI breakers I guess.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I wasn't blaming GFIs for anything, but they don't last forever and that they fail open is a fact and desired.
          The PITA comment referred to the many who will be caught off guard when their GFI fails at 10PM and all
          the stores are closed and they have no backup on hand to install.

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree they don't last forever but I disagree that microprocessors have problems with them.

I get your point but it should be noted that Many people tend to demonize gfci circuits that are merely doing their job.

The real PITA is when utility power is off for a few day and when you return from vacation you eat spoiled food.

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't say microprocessors (uP) have problems. I said that some equipment with a uP do not play well
          with GFIs. At work we have to use GFIs on all our power cords for tools, lights, etc. We have to use 480V
          GFIs for all our welders too. But some test equipment such as strip chart recorders, DVMs, and other highly
          specialized test equipment does not function correctly using a GFI inline with the power source. They
          all have microprocessors in them and those are the items I am referring to. It may not be solely because
          they have a microprocessor that it true, but they do have uP none the less.

there are certain things you don't want to rely on being plugged into gfi outlets.

refrigerators and sump pumps are 2 that I can think of.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally agree, but it could be argued that it'd be better for your basement to flood than someone to get electrocuted.

We are blessed with Mike , A very good appliance Tech. He told Her this sometimes trips GFCIS that shouldn't be used for Refers because of a problem with the refers Stainless S. drinking water supply.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          Regardless, the hot and neutral should draw the same current. The leakage current may be leaking through the water supply ground but again the problem lies with the appliance, not the gfci.

Thanks John . Yes the Ref. is next to the sink.

Comment

Thank you for being a good neighbor.
          ​​​​The world can use more nice people.

Comment

Working...
          X