RD6800 Portable Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD6800 Portable Generator

I purchase a RD6800 Portable Generator about 7 years ago. It has worked perfectly until now. The generator starts and runs fine but it is not generating any electricity. Any ideas?

Had a similar issue when we had a generator running during a windy snowstorm. The snow got into the generator and messed it up, We ended up taking it in for repair and I can't recall the specifics but we purchased a Kubota to keep up going in the meantime.
    Fixing generators that have no output voltage What causes generators to stop producing power / voltage? The most common cause of portable generators failing to
    Last edited by Mightyservant; 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

If brushes are good, it's often a bad Voltage regulator.

Comment

When I bought my Generac generator years ago it was DOA right out of the box. Got a tip from someone on hear who said to take a corded drill (I used my old Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter) and plug it into the generator and while the generator is running to manually give the drill chuck a spin (don't remember if he said forward or backward or if it even matters) MAKING SURE TO CLOSE THE CHUCK UP so you can't get your fingers or anything else caught. Check that the breaker on the generator for the circuit you are plugged into is closed too. This will generate a small current from the drill's motor which will backfeed to the generator. Watch out because when the generator starts putting out the drill motor will start running. Ever since I did this the generator has worked every time I have fired it up.

I don't remember the details as it was years ago but you may have to keep the trigger pressed while you spin the chuck by hand. It was someone on here that told me about this. Hopefully they or someone else will chime in with to verify what I have tried to remember here or correct it please.

Might not be the problem you have since yours was once working. Mine was no output from the beginning so maybe a different situation. Just make sure whatever you do you don't get hurt or damage your generator.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I followed the link that Mightyservant gave you and they outline the procedure I was talking about there. Give it a try if you haven't already.

sometime the residual magnetism will be lost and they need to "flashed" I do not remember the procedure but a google search will most likely bring up pages on how to "flash the generator", and if that is not it the voltage regulator most likely is out,

https://www.google.com/search?q=flas...nt=firefox-b-1
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ok. Ok. I want to say -- paying all that money (I paid like 700), and now hearing that letting the generator sit with gas in it wrecked it, welllll..... I'm letting people know, take a step back, doesn't that seem a bit.... nutty? Generators should be reliable, and this SUCKS. mine isn;t working and an ice storm is hitting real soon. I just spent all day, cleaning this, trying to reach that (it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the necessary places to get AT the gas lines....), and the thing doesn't even click when I try to turn it on. Dead as a doornail. Tried recharging the battery. It's all a ridiculous expense. **** RIDGID.

Comment

Just like any gasoline engine, you can't let the fuel get stale. Doesn't matter if it's $ 100 engine or a 100,000 Mercedes.

My go to use it and put it away generator is a duel fuel that's never been run on gasoline. Only on propane. With propane, you shut it off and it's ready to fly in a day, week, month or a year from now.

Even my diesels require some TLC.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by hasen View Post
              Ok. Ok. I want to say -- paying all that money (I paid like 700), and now hearing that letting the generator sit with gas in it wrecked it, welllll..... I'm letting people know, take a step back, doesn't that seem a bit.... nutty? Generators should be reliable, and this SUCKS. mine isn;t working and an ice storm is hitting real soon. I just spent all day, cleaning this, trying to reach that (it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the necessary places to get AT the gas lines....), and the thing doesn't even click when I try to turn it on. Dead as a doornail. Tried recharging the battery. It's all a ridiculous expense. **** RIDGID.
              Ethanol is a main culprit that causes issues with carburetion. Allowing fuel to get stale in a small engine does not "wreck" it at all in my experience. Typically, you change the carburetor, clean a few things, put in fresh gas, and go. Many used to rebuild the original carburetor, but now most just replace that I know.

Also, it not turning over has nothing to do with stale fuel. That sounds like a battery with a dead cell. You would need to test it to confirm. Recharging it will not necessarily bring it back to a state of use. If battery is tested and confirmed to be good, then you look elsewhere in the starting system.

So, just to summarize based on your description, your generator is not "wrecked" and is still quite useable. A battery and a carburetor is much, much, less expensive than a new generator typically. And not uncommon maintenance as has been mentioned.

Get it running again, see if you can find non-ethanol fuel to run in it, and put some fuel stabilizer in it as well.

Comment

Useing fuel conditioner makes all my old gas powered tools start up on the 2 or 3 pull. In the summer when the engine metal gets hot they start on the first pull.

Comment

There are also the small engine fuels such as the "Aspen alkylate" or Trufuel that you can buy at the small engine places or Home Depot/Lowe's that are suppose to last up to two years after opening and won't gum up the carbs.

Comment

• Mightyservant
                    Mightyservant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For occasional use only I think it's perfect. Might even be a good move for me then that way I don't need to store oil and a gas can which reduces the combustibles in the garage and open up needed storage space. Just a little on the high side.
                Working...
                X