• Show
Clear All

• Bob D.
    replied
    Use the interwebs, it knows all (BUT it's not always right):

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-combined.html

Nobody here will be able to give you a better answer. If
    you want to be sure you're on solid ground then contact
    an electrical engineer and plunk your money down.

Leave a comment:

• Galmagie
    replied
    Again, my main question is when the Electrical Authority states that a 200 amp residential house panel is only good for 200 amps of loading max. Is that 200 amps total of the panel or is that 200 amps per each side of the panel?
    As the 200 amp breaker is 2 - 200 amp breakers tied internally. The electrical service has 2 service conductors coming into the panel, so why can't they each see 200 amps (max).
    I know this question has been asked many times but it seems there is still questions.

Leave a comment:

• rjniles
    replied
    A 200 amp 2 pole breaker is effectively 2 200 amp breakers internally tied together. a 200 amp panel can be loaded to a calculated load of 200 amps. The 80% you mention is a calculation for continuous circuits and is not used for panel loading.

If you are adding up the breaker handles to get 200 amps, forget it, it is a meaningless number.
    Last edited by rjniles; 10-01-2019, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Galmagie
    started a topic Is a 200 amp Panel only allowed 200 amps of loading

Is a 200 amp Panel only allowed 200 amps of loading

Is a 200 amp residential panel only allowed 200 amps of loading? But a better question is a 200 amp double pole breaker - Two 200 amp breakers tied together or is it Two 100 amp breakers tied together?
    I know that the max loading of the panel is 160 amps due to the 80% safety rule.
    So can I load the panel up to 160 amps per side of the panel or is it just 160 amps mas on the panel?
    Any help on making this clear would be great.
Working...
X