HELP (Electrical matter).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP (Electrical matter).

Back in October, of last year, we suffered a home fire. Our insurance had elapsed, a short while before that (due ti dire financial straits) which, consequently, translated into damages (to the tune of $140,000) being dumped into our pockets. Electrical repairs are the biggest things which are facing us, right now, and we need help.

We had enough, from donations, to hire an electrician to deal with the wires in the lower bedroom (where the fire started), but power to the adjoining rooms were not addressed. There's the computer room - just across from the mentioned bedroom. And at the opposite side of the computer room is our family room. In both the computer room, and the family room, there has been no more power. Now, I remember that (when stripping the bedroom's walls of drywall) how the wires were situated. The electrician had, later, repaired all but a wire which had run up the wall, through the ceiling, and (reasonably) into feeds for the other two rooms. In fact, he had cut that wire out, altogether. We can't afford anyone else to come in here, and do what would be needed. So, I'll have to try tackling the job, myself. And this leads me to a question:

I have just assumed that the cutout wire was for an extended feed. If it WAS, how would I go about getting things back in order? If that wire was such a feed, what would be the procedure for running another one? I am also assuming that the wire would have to be connected to an outlet, with a piggy-backed method of handling power to the balance of outlets in a room. I am not afraid to delve into certain electrical jobs, as I feel safety would be guaranteed by the action of (first) turning off the main power to our home. At any rate, I really have no other choice BUT to do it myself.

Your help in this matter would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

God Bless ~ and stay safe

Nathan
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Nathan,

I'm very sorry for your troubles, but I'm afraid you shouldn't begin to tackle this job yourself! You are only asking for trouble and you're putting your life and the live's of your family at risk!

There are procedures and to some extent design and electrical practices that MUST be followed. Your municipality has specific rules and electrical codes and whether you live in a city, small town, or the suburbs YOU must get a proper permit and have your work inspected for safety. LIkewise, there are many procedures that YOU, as a homeowner, may NOT be allowed to do.

I'm not an electrician, but I've rewired three homes, including putting in the service at one. Each and every time I've followed the rules, received permits and gotten proper inspections, but there were times when I needed a qualified electrician to handle certain things.

BUT, I did this with some background experience and education, as well as the occasional assistance of others. I also took the time to familiarize myself with the NEC manual as well as other manuals for any technicalities concerning what I was about to do. Physically it's not hard, but you have got to know what is right and what is wrong, and you certainly have to know the safety practices to employ and have the proper tools at hand to ensure your safety.

May I suggest you look to your community for some kind of aid. Ask for any assistance and/or guidance from your community governance and whatever other services your area offers. I'd even look to possible "Habitat for Humanity" local organization who most always has volunteers who might be able to assist.

I WOULD NOT tackle this kind of challenge, totally on my own!

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 08-24-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

CWS,

I really appreciate your taking the time to lay the 'seriousness' of the situation out, to me. Sometimes, we can get so caught up in dilemmas, that we fly ourselves totally out of the range of sensibility. I have run a couple of new lines, in the past, but (here) we are now talking about a whole new area of electrical work. You have grounded me (no pun) by instructing as you did, and I will stand away from my previous desire to attempt making the corrections. We'll just have to abide ourselves with matters, as they are, until such time as we've accumulated the necessary finances by which to have the work professionally done.

Again, many thanks to you.
      ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

My pleasure sir! I didn't want you to feel in any way disrespected for your skills, but electrical work can be deadly serious and while I've done it, I take every possible precaution. But, I've been working with electricity since I was a kid (back in the very early sixties), taking shop classes and working with my Dad who was in the trades, and a couple of relatives who WERE electricians. I'm also a Ham Radio operator which requires at least some knowledge to pass the Federal test (totally different skills, but you gain electrical knowledge and know it's dangers). The thing of it is, even the most careful electrician can make a mistake and I've known of a couple of deaths over the years when something just gets missed.

So, good luck with your house and again, check your local organizations, friends, etc. to see what kind of assistance you can find.

It's important to follow the rules!

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 08-27-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          My pleasure sir! I didn't want you to feel in any way disrespected for your skills.

CWS
          My friend, don't you DARE think that I feel ANY WAY like THAT . Imparted wisdom is something that I will always be eager to injest, and I feel Blessed that you were there, to deliver. I really appreciate you.

~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

• CWSmith
            CWSmith commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you and I wish you success in recovering from your fire damage!

Best wishes,

CWS
        Working...
        X