4 sets of wires going to a vanity light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 sets of wires going to a vanity light

So I need some help. I'm Installing a new vanity light in an old mobile home we just bought. I had to replace the junction box because it's cracked. Upon removal I noticed 4 sets of wires and cannot figure out how to rewire it correctly. It had 3 black wires and one white wire connected together with a wire nut and 3 white wires connected together and one loose black wire. I wired the new light up and it comes on with the light switch off. When I turn the light switch on it blows the breaker. Obviously I rewired it wrong. I wired all the blacks together and all whites together. Can someone tell.me what im doing wrong and what do I connect the ground wires to? Do they have to be connected to a metal plate or something?

Brian, I understand you want to do the work yourself. It is, however, obvious you are way out of your comfort level.
    To avoid burning down the mobile home I strongly suggest you call a licensed electrician.

Most mobile homes have had lots of improper electrical work and a properly licensed electrician will
    be able to determine what else is wrong with your unit.

Most insurance companies will not cover you if you do the repairs without proper permits and
    knowledge.

BE SAFE

Cactus Man

Comment

Do you remember which cable (black white pair) had the white connected to the 3 blacks and the loose black wire? If you do, connect that black to the new fixture black, connect that white to the 3 remaining 3 blacks. Connect the remaining whites together with the fixture white.
      If you do not remember you need a multimeter. Turn the circuit breaker off, set the meter to ohms. Connect the meter leads to a black white pair, with the switch off, the meter will read infinity (open circuit), close the switch and the meter will read zero (short circuit). If that doesn't happen you have the wrong cable. Continue with each cable until you find the right cable, that is your switch loop. Connect as I stated in the first paragraph.
      If you are over your head, call an electrician.

Comment

Ok thanks yes I realized I was out of my comfort zone but with some research and a multimeter I was able to figure it out. Thanks for doubting me cactusman. That's the whole point of this site is to learn and get advice. Thanks for the tips RJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Brians1721
          So I need some help. I'm Installing a new vanity light in an old mobile home we just bought phen375 last week and started using. I had to replace the junction box because it's cracked. Upon removal I noticed 4 sets of wires and cannot figure out how to rewire it correctly. It had 3 black wires and one white wire connected together with a wire nut and 3 white wires connected together and one loose black wire. I wired the new light up and it comes on with the light switch off. When I turn the light switch on it blows the breaker. Obviously I rewired it wrong. I wired all the blacks together and all whites together. Can someone tell.me what im doing wrong and what do I connect the ground wires to? Do they have to be connected to a metal plate or something?
          I have two sets of wires (black and white) on a 2-light bathroom fixture. I have one set of wires in the wall (black, white, ground). How do I connect? I tried attaching all together and capping off, but that doesnt seem to be working. Should I try attaching to one set and taping off the unused set?
          Last edited by TommyBelt; 08-30-2021, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X