X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Electricians in Here?

Sound off if you are an Electrician. I don't quite count although I did rewire my entire house (My Electrician uncle started me out) so I have some experience. Learned a lot about Knob and Tube... basically it just doesnt make much sense. My entire house was esentially on 2 circuits.

You also end up really knowing every inch of your house after doing a complete rewire. Found lots of bad romex tie ins to the knob and tube and a few big fire hazards. Its all cool now and thank God I'm done.

BTW.. I used RIDGID Wire strippers for the job and they worked great ;-)

Josh

Josh,

Thanks for opening this forum. There are countless times where i have wanted to ask an electrical question. I think polar Sparky is a professional electrician.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I am an apprentice working for 2 years so far..., and I'd like to see those Ridgid strippers.

I have a relative that has knob and tube wiring in their house and the code book still mentions it (Every 3 years the Nec code book is updated). When i have some spare time i'd love to help him upgrade his home.

I helped my dad remodel the entire house. The only thing that isn't new is the wall between the storage room and master bedroom, and the foundation. Essentially i grew up on the show home improvement. My dad never went to the hospital, but there were plenty of bleeding hands and flying boards that I thought my dad did learn from the TV series. I'm suprised i survied all my dads little projects....
      Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 01-27-2006, 09:54 PM.
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

do you connect the black wire to the black or white wire ha ha
        i do hvac work and this has a lot of electric so this can be a big help
        thanks josh
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Josh,

Thanks for creating this new forum! I know I will be lurking here often. Like you, I've had some experience with general household wiring and with the help of a friend, we even updated the service on this house, several years ago. The inspector was pleasant, but did sort of raise an eyebrow and asked, "Who did the job?". While I was hesitant to admit to the truth, he said it was obvious, as it was suspiciously "too neat"!

Now I'm in the middle of remodeling our a new (old 1887) home in a much larger city. Rules are tight, and things a lot more political (rightly so, I think). So the timing of this forum is just about perfect, I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the posts.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Yes and No. LOL I have rewired a few homes, including my own. I work on overhead cranes and hoists. Most all of them are 3 phase and if I keep going for another 30 years,I might learn something about it.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I would say yes and no also as above in that I have my general contractors license but do not have the specialty license. Ihave been doing electrical projects for over 20 years and do quite a bit in my home repair business. I have changed out a couple of main panels and agree on the neat issue, (this was insisted on by my dad). It sure makes a big difference when you have to troubleshoot. P.S. Enjoying the forums greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                Sound off if you are an Electrician. I don't quite count although I did rewire my entire house (My Electrician uncle started me out) so I have some experience.
                BTW.. I used RIDGID Wire strippers for the job and they worked great ;-)

Josh
                Greetings Josh,
                Thank you for starting this electrician's forum. I don't quite count either as
                I'm a telephone/network technician for many years. Although this is quite different than electrician, the dealings with wiring, grounding, bonding, cabling, Ohm's Law, setting up demarcation points from scratch etc. are very similar. We don't get much of a chance to deal with conduit, though; and, class 2 low voltage usually won't kill.

Thanks again Josh! :-)
                Phil
                Tools Rule

Comment

Hello,

I've been lurking around the board for a few weeks researching opinons of rigid tools for hobby use. I decided to join today after seeing this electrical forum.

I am a master electrician and have been doing electrical work for 12 years full-time. My dad is an electrician too, so I grew up working around this stuff.

I own an electrical contracting business and do a large variety of residential, commercial and industrial projects. I would be glad to assist those who may need a professional opinon.

Comment

For those looking for less than a professional opinion, I'll take the last guy's leftovers.

Been at it a few years.

Comment

As A Licensed Master Electrician I Would Strongly Recomend Against Any D.i.y. Advice
                      It Is Not Safe Or Legal

The Only Advice I Would Give Is
                      Hire A Licensed Professional Because When Your House Burns Down And Someone Dies Who Is Going To Be Held Responsible???

Comment

MD MASTER SPARKY

you better lighten up some or you will become a master #!*%$@?*#
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Gb Enterprises

Hello

Well I have been at it for 26 years now I am a licensed contrator in NYC,Fla,WV,OH still not rich ??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I guess I am in the wrong trade, should have been a laywer same thing as they will shock you most times with their bill. Oh speaking of shock I have only been shocked a few times once when My ex-wife told me she was gay, the other when I was paying my taxes.............. later People

if ya need any advise just holler

GB
                          Thanks
                          GB Enterprises
                          Doing it right the first time!!

Comment

Been in the Technical Services department of an Electrical Distribution Coop for over 20 years.
                            Since we're considered the "bad guys" in most forums, I always like to see what we're getting accused of.

Comment

Working...
                            X