X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Panelbox

The electrical panelbox cover in the house I just bought is missing, how do I go about finding a replacement cover especially if there isn't any name stamped on it. I have all the inner dimensions and it's a UL Listed Class CTL enclosed panel board bt-482965. The people who lived here built a box around it so it isn't open for people to stick their hands in, but I'd like to get it fixed. How much would it cost roughly to have someone put in a new box and rewire it? It's 200 amp service already.

a picture would help.
    check what brand of circut breakers are installed and then contact that manufactor. typically the panel is designedand approved for that brand only.
    also how old is the house? is it original?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If the panel is currently 200-amp, then I would presume that it is fairly new (last 20 years anyway) and that a new cover might be available. As Plumber Rick pointed out, check the name on the circuit breakers and then contact that manufacturer to see what he can tell you.

I suggest you also look at any local electrical supply houses that you may have and give them a call and/or take a picture of the panel, along with the other information that you have, and pay them a visit. There's a good chance that they may be able to provide you more information of have something that can help you out.

From my limited experience, an electrician will probably charge you several hundred to change out the panel. If the 200 amp panel that you have was put in properly (correct weatherhead, incoming lines, code adherance, etc.) then its primarily the labor involved and of course the main power will have to be shutoff for at least a short period. If it comes to that (hopefully not, considering you already have current amperage standards for a residence), the question is whether or not you'd have enough length on the lines to place a panel next to the current one and transfer the lines over, breaker by breaker. That is usually NOT the case, which would then mean removal of the entire panel (power off for a day at least) and direct replacement with a new panel and then everything put back.

I do think that this would be rather unnecessary considering the amperage of your current panel. Hopefully a new cover will be available.

CWS

Comment

If you can't get a cover for it you could trim it out and cover it with a wood cabinet style door to make things look better.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Go to an electrical supply house with a picture of your panel and see if a Siemens square d or GE cover will fit. I have seen those the Most often... I wouldn't do any wood covering because of the fire hazard. may even be able to get the cover at your local hardware store.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
            Go to an electrical supply house with a picture of your panel and see if a Siemens square d or GE cover will fit. I have seen those the Most often... I wouldn't do any wood covering because of the fire hazard.

Definitely you do not want a wood cover on the panel.
            You need to imagine that the devices housed within the panel need their own fire-rated area to remain safe, and that would rule out wood or other combustible material as a cover.
            As stated before, you'd be safest to install the actual cover designed for it.
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Hopefully its not one of those junk White-Westinghouse panels. Do they even still make those?
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Cover for Electrical box

If you can't find the right cover for the box, why don't you take the dimensions and check metal fabrication shops. It wouldn't take much for a metal fab guy to take the dimensions, bend up some sheet steel and make you a box cover and it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than having a sparky do a complete changeover. Just a thought!
                Hope this helps. Jim D

Comment

Cinnamon: If you can't find a cover, take JimDon's advice. I had the same problem-even the manufacturer couldn't come up with the right cover- so I made one myself. It took me about an hour and a half, but I had to use crude methods for bending the edges etc. (No sheet metal equipment) It turned out so good that my neighbor (retired electrician) thought I had finally found one. A sheet metal shop should be able to snap one out in nothing flat. HTH
                  Jim

Comment

Reply to a fabricated cover.

Originally posted by JimDon
                    If you can't find the right cover for the box, why don't you take the dimensions and check metal fabrication shops. It wouldn't take much for a metal fab guy to take the dimensions, bend up some sheet steel and make you a box cover and it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than having a sparky do a complete changeover. Just a thought!
                    Hope this helps. Jim D
                    Be aware. If you have a cover fabricated it will not meet the UL listed standards of the Mfgr. If a fire results, for any reason, you are liable and your insurance coverage may not be in force. Ins. Co.'s today look for any good reason not to pay a claim. This would be a good one to put all liability on you! If you can't find an original cover, the entire panel needs to be replaced. Perry, Cincinnati, OH, Master Electrician.

Comment

Once you identify the panel's mfg/model no. you might try the surplus/used electrical equipment folks if the supply houses don't have a new cover.

Don't be surprized if the cover costs the same or more than a complete panel.
                      Something about 'spare parts'...

Comment

Perry would be 100% right on that.
                        But now I have a question for you Perry. I've had 2 electrical inspectors tell me that you cannot have neutrals and grounds in the same slot of the bar in the panel. When I questioned them on this they can't find it in the 2005 NEC book. I have looked all over in the book and cannot find it. any info. would be apreciated!! Bob Carlisle, Pa. M.E.

Comment

Wow I've Heard It All Now

Any One Heard Of Ul Listings

Proper Use And Identification Of Equipment??

Huge Liability Here

Go Ton Local Supply House And Purchase A Panel And Install The Cover On The Existing Panel
                          Chances Are That You Will Not Be Able To Find A Cover Alone

I Would Under No Circumstances Fabricate One

Comment

MD MASTER SPARKY

you better lighten up some or you will become a master #!*%$@?*#
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81
                              Perry would be 100% right on that.
                              But now I have a question for you Perry. I've had 2 electrical inspectors tell me that you cannot have neutrals and grounds in the same slot of the bar in the panel. When I questioned them on this they can't find it in the 2005 NEC book. I have looked all over in the book and cannot find it. any info. would be appreciated!! Bob Carlisle, Pa. M.E.
                              When ever you have and arc fault breaker it will trip if the ground and neutral touch.

Article 250.2 definitions:

Ground faultam unintentional, electrically conducting connection between an ungrounded conductor [ black red or blue or your neutral (white)] of an electrical circuit and the normally non - current carrying conductor [or bare copper wire] ........

Basically your ground wire is useless if you have it connected the the neutral bare in your panel since the neutral carries back the return current and completes a circuit.

Also look at 408.40 below the exception "grounding conductors shall not be connected to a terminal bar provided for grounded conductors (may be neutral) unless the bar is identified for the pouirpose......"
                              Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 02-21-2006, 11:42 PM.
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                              X