X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At wits end.

This is going to sound a bit nuts but i am going to try something and want to be sure nothing gets hurt except the darned rodents i want to kill.

These darned moles are already wrecking my yard and its only February. After spending well over a thousand bucks last year to get rid of the darned things I am tired of insecticides, baits and traps

This is what i want to do.

I want to saturate the areas around the mole runs with water including filling the runs as much as possible and then run 110 volts out to the area. i am going to drive copper tube into the ground at set intervals then connect lines to each tube working in a methodic pattern to be sure all areas have been eradicated.

What would the sparkies here reccomend be a good distance to set my rods apart. I want enough current to either kill or drive the %^*($#&* moles out of the ground so I can wack em but i don't want to get myself at the same time. My thoughts were setting the distance at about 3 feet.

another plan includes fishing #12 bare wire through the main runs and setting current directly to it while having the ground attached to posts about 3 feet away from the run at several intervals. Will this work?

These danged moles have me feeling like Bill Murray.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Don't try this at Home...

Salt water is more conductive than fresh.

Something even more effective/safer than salt water is dynamite. *slowly shaking Head*

Comment

plumber, let me know what day you're going to do this, so i can watch the evening news.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

salt water might damage the lawn but thanks for the thought.

Start watching Rick, I took tommorrow off for the dentist and the tax man so I'll be cranky enough to feel no pity for the darned varmits. The grounds still half froze so feeding the wire through the runs shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Anyone know the words to "Requeim for Plumber"? :-)

Comment

Plumber,

I'm not sure if this scheme will work the way you hope it will. First off, it's sounds a bit dangerous and you (and anyone else) should be well clear of the electrodes (your copper tubes) when you throw the switch... and you should be darned certain that the power is cut before you investigate this event up close.

I've never tried anything like this, but from my, partially educated, perspective, two things are going to happen... either you are going to get a "short" as the electricity leaps from one electrode (your copper tube) to the other, or you're going to get nothing. Depends a lot on how conductive the "wet dirt" is going to be. Having more than two electrodes won't make a lot of difference either I think, because the electricity will "short" between the first two black and white wire connected electrodes that are in closest proximity to each other... and anything outside of that path will probably be uneffected.

But the big challenge here (that I am guessing) is that you may be thinking DC current which theoretically will jump between one electrode and the other (positive and negative) in an attempt to complete a closed circuit. But with AC, a major piece of the circuit, is "ground"... which is what you are trying to run the power through... the wet dirt or ground that you create will probably do nothing more than assure your "ground" connection, which the load panel will see as a "short" and simply trip the breaker.

Now, I may be completely wrong in that assumption; but, from my point of view, in order to ill-effect the Mole, you need it to be part of the circuit, which means it needs to be the conductor between a hot line, and the ground. In which case, it will get "fried".... but so will anything else that happens upon such a "circuit, including it's creator, if he's NOT careful. So, the question than is, "how do you get the little critter to put one part of its bod on the live wire, and have the other part of it firmly grounded?"

I'm not a big fan of chemicals either, so I understand your frustration. Have you contacted your local farm or agricultural co-op to see if they have any suggestions?

I hope this helps or at least get you to reconsider,

CWS

Comment

How about if you build a mole zapper out of a piece of PVC pipe? line the bottom half of the inside with some metal foil duct tape and make a couple short flexible pieces that hang down from the top but do not come in contact with the bottom foil (so there is no arc/spark).

Not take this and put it in-line with one of his runs so it becomes part of the path and 'energize' it with 110V AC. When your little buddy comes waltzing through and completes the circuit you will light up his life for sure
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Grew up in Illinois (down near St Louis.) First, we used to take a couple of coat hangers and wrap the two wires from an electrical cord around it and shove them in the ground about eight feet apart after a rain. When we plugged it in, the earth worms would come rolling up out of the ground due to the the "tickle". Sure beat diggin' for 'em when we went fishing!. We always unplugged the cord before we picked up the worms, but once one of my sister's cats came meandering through while the juice was on. First time I ever saw a cat fly. He went up about three feet and over about 10 and hit the ground at a dead run. LMAO!. By the way, one of those old telephone magnetos that they used to use on the railroad phone boxes works just as good and is portable. I still have my grandpa's and still use it to get bait.
                For moles, my ol' man used to get carbide pellets (used to be easy to get 'cause the miners used them in their lamps) and open up one end of the mole run and put a half cup of pellets in, pour a pan of hot water on them and close that hole. Then he would go to the farthest end of the run he could find, open a hole and throw lit matches at it until the acetylene (carbide + water gives off acetylene gas) got there and lit up. No more moles. It did usually kill the grass on top of the mole runs, tho.
                We never tried the "Edison tickle" on the moles, but it probably would work. Might be enough to bring them out of the ground so you could deal with 'em face to face.
                In summary, yes the electrodes will put current through the ground, and the resistance is enough that you won't blow a fuse, but it can be dangerous. Pulsating DC will work as well (its the current phasing that gives the irritation to the critters). Spacing is dependent on the conductivity of the soil. Wet clay conducts pretty good. Dry sand does not.
                Might be hard to find carbide pellets, and if one of the little buggers has made a hole into your basement or under your shed, you may be getting a visit from the local fire department, so gassing 'em might not be wise.
                This probably doesn't help much but Good luck on you "man vs nature" quest!.
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Has anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.moleattack.com/index.html

I've had those pesky moles in the past and if this stuff works I would keep some on hand so I could hit them with it ASAP. IT sounds like another snakeoil sale which is why I am asking if anyone has tried it or knows if it works.

Here's some interesting reading from Purdue University which answers my question (doesn't work for the most part);
                  http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomolog...PDF/ADM-10.pdf

This 4 page PDF file gives suggestions for how to deal with moles, what works and what doesn't, etc.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 02-15-2006, 10:19 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

I have a better ideal, build a 15ft chain link fence around your whole yard and when you are done tell me your address and I'll send you my cat! guaranteed to rid your yard of small to large rodents, any neighbor dogs that poop in your yard, even if they are a rotwiller... You may want to keep your kids inside for the duration of her stay!
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

OK, curiosity has got me and I know you are waiting for someone to ask. What kind of 'cat' it is you have?
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Part Siamese and Persian female black passive aggressive personality had attacked some of my cousins before, and i have pulled her of a few of the neighbor dogs!

Comment

I might try the mole fryer with pvc pipe but these things usually avoid runs that have been really tampered with. and I think the poisons just make them high and they go get their friends to come back for more.

Gofor, my late grandfather used to retieve his fishing worms much the same way as you describe. same area of the country too. these things have runs all around my house as well as in the yard so fire bombs are out of the question.(Thanks for suggestion though, I had thought about gasoline and lighting the vapors but i like my house.)

There is a lot of clay here and i see what CWSmith is saying about DC vs AC current. . I happen to have an extra vehicle battery and can rig a throw switch. It is suppossed to rain here the next couple of days so the ground will be really saturated and should make for good conductivity.

So a DC circuit it is. I'll make the contact points 3 feet apart and make a throw switch with a solid fiberglass handle and operate it from dry concrete and will make sure there is plenty of lead between myself and the battery incase it would explode. Dang all this heavy wire is going to get expensive but one way or another these varmits have got to go.

Comment

If you really do that stand on a THICK DRY RUBBER MAT!!!!

my cat is still available and will likely cause you less harm....

Comment

Just remembered another thing the ol' man used on moles: castor bean seeds. He'd stick them in the runs hoping they'd eat them and it would poison them. Don't remember how well it worked, but he kept it up years after I left home. (He grew castor bean plants just for the seeds to use on the moles). I guess that could be taken two ways: either it worked so he kept doing it, or it didn't which is why he kept having mole problems!! The poison in the seeds is deadly so wear gloves (the moles probably won't touch anything with human scent on it anyway) and use the same precautions you would use with rat poison. Also, a note of caution: Because of the type of poison in the seeds, you may end up on the Homeland Security watch list if you go buy a large quantity.!!
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X