X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amperage Questions

Gentlemen, and forum moderators thanks for a new electrician forum. I'm a plumber by trade and i am in the process of replacing my kitchen. I'm working on the electrical right now. I have a few questions about some amperage ratings and such.
    Can anyone give me the average amperage ratings for the following appliances:
    Dishwasher
    Disposer
    Refrigerator
    Range Hood
    Microwave

Before i complete hooking up all the electrical i would like to know if the way i have it hooked up throws up any big no-no's. Under the kitchen sink i have installed a GFCI outlet, I plan on putting a plug on the end of the dishwasher and simply plugging it in. This will simplify repairs in the future. The outlet also gives future owners the ability to easily add a disposer (which i would never own one being a plumber). This is a 20amp 12-2 circuit that i intend to run into a junction box. I would like to put the range hood in the junction box also and then make a home run to the service panel to a dedicated 20amp breaker. So my questions would be: Is 20-amp sufficient for a dishwasher, disposer, and rangehood? Is there anything wrong with hooking the dishwasher up to an outlet?

I am no electrical expert myself, but I can tell you how I did my kitchen a couple years ago with help from an electrician friend. Having your dishwasher plugged into an outlet under the sink is pretty standard and nothing wrong with that. Normally that outlet will also share with the garbage disposal and a 20-amp should be plenty and my kitchen lighting also shares that same circuit (only 2 flourescent lights). Having the range hood on there should also not be a problem and is the way I have mine. The stove should be on a dedicated circuit and the stove part will need the 220V while the cooktop will most likely be 110V, unless you have gas.

WWS

Sorry, I don't know the averages for all those appliances, but I am sure you could look at a few manuals online and get an average pretty easily or someone more knowledgable on this forum can toss out something.

WWS
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I think your best bet would be to check the local codes. Here all kitchen appliances (new or remodel) (dishwasher, microwave, disposal, fridge, stove, etc. have to be on dedicated circuits.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Don't have much time but here is some typical info. I am electrician in canada, our codes are more strict that the US, but here is some info to help you out in wiring your kitchen.

Dishwasher: 120V/15A own home run
        Disposer: 120V/15A own home run
        Refridgerator(non-sub zero): put on a 120V/15A curcuit
        Range Hood: 120V/15A own home run
        Microwave: 120V/15A put on a nother curcuit

if you have any other questions or need more details, feel free to email me.

Comment

The dishwasher and disposal can be put on the same circuit. The microwave and Range hood need to be on another. You may know that in some homes a range hood microwave combo sits above the oven. The range hood draws little power so having it with your microwave is not a problem. This should all be wired in 12 awg wire and put on a 20 amp breaker.

The dishwasher is fin plugged in below the sink but you may also find the GFCI outlet has a case of nuisance tripping. Every time there is a surge of power to start a motor the GFCI sometimes trips. That is why freezers and refrigerators are on a dedicated 20 amp non GFCI circuit. People would go on a vacation and come home to a puddle in the kitchen and the fridge full of bad food.

Does that help?
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Here are my thoughts ....
            A typical microwave draws 1500 W (12.5 Amps) so it should sit on its own circuit
            A Typical range hood draws 1.5 Amps and I typically pick it up from the kitchen overhead light circuit
            A newer fridge draws about 10 Amps and although this does not max out a circuit I would suggest that it sit on its own circuit so there is no chance of tripping the breaker by having another device on the line that may cause enough load to trip the breaker and spoil your food
            Disposal units are 3/4 to 1 HP upto 15A so they definitely require their own circuit
            Dishwashers draw little power until you use the heat dry and water warming features then you are into the 10Aamp draw range so again it is wise to run on its own. You could always put a split receptacle under the sink to give the dishwasher and disposal their own circuit.
            A split requires you to run 14/3 wire and use a dual 15A breaker. You break the connector bridge between the 2 brass colored screws on the plug and hook a hot wire (red/black) to each screw. The white is return for both.

Comment

2cents

Originally posted by Theron
              Under the kitchen sink i have installed a GFCI outlet
              I don't think I've seen a gfi used under the sink. It's to prevent people from getting shocked. Appliances have their own protection.
              http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

Originally posted by Theron
              I plan on putting a plug on the end of the dishwasher
              I always do that. Either give it it's own recepticle or run it over into the sink cabinet. I usually see DW and Disp sharing a 15amp circuit. You shouldn't have any problems adding a range hood in there with a 20amp breaker. As far as getting enough power is concerned. Some appliances need the protection of a 15amp breaker where a 20 would let them burn up. Maybe see if the appliance manual is calling for 15amp protection.
              Last edited by Tacman7; 02-16-2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

sharing neutral

Wbrooks knows what he is talking about. I would just add that when you wire the red and black to the panel be sure they are of seperate phases ie. one breaker on top of the other so you don't overload the neutral. Also be aware will have 220 volt potential if you lose your neutral.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Minimum?

Theron,

By code you need at least 2 20amp "SA" circuits (Small Appliance) for all of the countertop receptacles in the kitchen. These 2 circuits can also exist in the dining, pantry, nook, etc areas as well. One of these 2 can also serve the refrigerator.

But the code is a minimum standard. I don't know what your particular cooking habits are, or will be after your renovation. But after just completing our new kitchen, I ended up with 8 20amp countertop circuits, and 5 20a dedicated appliance circuits. (Ok well, a bit much but I'm an electrician, you probably have 2 sinks or something...) Dishwasher, Instahot, Future disposal (I'd never put one of those in) Microwave / Range hood, and the Fridge is on it's own separate for a genset tie-in.

Remember this is your own house. Don't think like a contractor looking to save real money by installin the minimums, like 15a circuits for a dishwasher times a development with 350 homes... if it's all that's needed. You're only wiring one house. Do it better than right. When you calculate the cost difference between running a couple of 15a instead of 20a circuits, you'll kick yourself.

Comment

You People Need To Read The National Electic Code Book

You Are Not Correct

Read Article 210

Comment

Rather than just tell them the chapter how about some more info. Or would that cut into your possible profit if people knew how to do some things?
                        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

MD MASTER SPARKY

you better lighten up some or you will become a master #!*%$@?*#
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by MD MASTER SPARKY
                            You People Need To Read The National Electic Code Book

You Are Not Correct

Read Article 210
                            Way to whittle it down, there. Good on you.

Does It Mean More If You Capitalize Every Word In A Sentence?

Sorri I Frgot To Throw In Some Typos.

Anyway, I agree with Wbrooks, but I wouldn't recommend that a DIY'er pull a 14-3 w/ground homerun, due to the fact that a simple mistake could compromise the neutral, and destroy a dishwasher at the same time. Better for them to use all two-wire.

Comment

This Place Is A Joke

Just Hope No One Dies Listening To You Morons

Comment

Working...
                              X