X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josh
    obviously ridgidforums.com is liable.

YOU SAID IT

Take it for what it is. I believe this forum adds to safety by having professional opinions and advice available on the forum. If something is beyond someones abilities you will always see people telling them to hire somone for the job.

Josh
    BUT YOU HAVE NO ONE HERE WHO IS A PROFESSIONAL

Comment

Serious question about article.

Originally posted by ELECTRICMAN
      guys check this out

you all tell me who is liable or who will the courts see liable

http://www.local6.com/money/7302637/detail.html
      Looks to me as if house was built with metal studs. Screw goes through stud into wire making all studs in the house hot. Now isn't the service panel screwed to the house studs? If so a properly grounded service panel should have kicked the breaker since circuit was a direct short. Or am I missing something here?
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

[QUOTE=MD MASTER SPARKY]Whatever

I Have Visited Alot Of Diy Sites And All That I Have Visited Thus Far Do Have A Qualified Individual As A Moderator

You My Friend Are Not Qualified

I would certainly not consider myself to be qualified to offer professional advice on certain subjects (eletrical being one of them).[/QUOTE]

I am really being serious here and hope you can honestly see that. I am curious what in your opinion a moderator is to be doing on such forums? Should a moderator be a professional tradesman in whatever forum/thread he is monitoring? Or can a moderator be a person who just monitors for illlicit, spam, advertising, violence, etc, etc? Perhaps both???

Is a forum a place to have an open discussion on a topic (Webster: A public meeting place for open discussion) or a place where anything that is said is monitored and seen as incorrect or wrong is immediately stricken from the post or "washed" by a moderator?

I am just curious how you believe a forum should be run in your opinion? Perhaps if we can have an open discussion on this we could find some middle ground???

WWS
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I Think That If A Forum Is Giving D.i.y Advice There Should Be A Qualified Individual To Oversee Any Posts. And Those That Seem At The Least Bit Dangerous Should Be Immedeatly Removed

Comment

[QUOTE=wwsmith]
            Originally posted by MD MASTER SPARKY
            Whatever

I Have Visited Alot Of Diy Sites And All That I Have Visited Thus Far Do Have A Qualified Individual As A Moderator

You My Friend Are Not Qualified

I would certainly not consider myself to be qualified to offer professional advice on certain subjects (eletrical being one of them).[/QUOTE]

I am really being serious here and hope you can honestly see that. I am curious what in your opinion a moderator is to be doing on such forums? Should a moderator be a professional tradesman in whatever forum/thread he is monitoring?
            YES

Or can a moderator be a person who just monitors for illlicit, spam, advertising, violence, etc, etc? Perhaps both???
            NO, BECAUSE HOW WILL THIS PERSON KNOW WEATHER THE INFO. GIVEN IS RIGHT OR NOT
            A SKILLED PROFESSIONAL WILL KNOW.

Is a forum a place to have an open discussion on a topic (Webster: A public meeting place for open discussion) or a place where anything that is said is monitored and seen as incorrect or wrong is immediately stricken from the post or "washed" by a moderator?
            YES
            YOU CAN HAVE OPEN DISCUSSIONS BUT THE LIABILITY IS STILL TO GREAT
            TO GIVE D.I.Y ADVICE
            WHY NOT SIMPLY SAY A DISCUSSION ON WIRING METHODS
            AND NOT " DO IT YOURSELF" ADVICE
            AS PRVIOUSLY POSTED ANY LICENSED ELECTRICIAN CAN AND WILL BE HELD LIABLE IN A LAW SUIT.
            I am just curious how you believe a forum should be run in your opinion? Perhaps if we can have an open discussion on this we could find some middle ground???

WWS
            FFFFFFFFFQQ

Comment

Show me what you know. Answer the question I posted about 3 posts up.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

ww smith thank you thank you thank you i dont get upset with poeple but i must admit that md master was getting under my skin he did have some very vaild points that i could not disagree with though to me he is coming off as a bit rude and seemed to be treing to pick a fight(though i dout he was) i will say if he calms down just alittle and we as a group heed what is been said rather then how it is being said we all will learn from one another.and md master sparky welcome to this forum i am a carpenter and former bissness owner so when you speak of safety i for one will lissen whatever you or any one else has got to say
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It has never been our intention to offer DIY advice on ridgidforum.com. Members are free to post advice and help fellow members out. My job as moderator is to filter out objectionable materials and keep people from flamming each other.

Theres really nothing left to say... I'll let this one run its course. Just keep this thread clean guys and try not to start and name calling.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
                    ww smith thank you thank you thank you i dont get upset with poeple but i must admit that md master was getting under my skin he did have some very vaild points that i could not disagree with though to me he is coming off as a bit rude and seemed to be treing to pick a fight(though i dout he was) i will say if he calms down just alittle and we as a group heed what is been said rather then how it is being said we all will learn from one another.and md master sparky welcome to this forum i am a carpenter and former bissness owner so when you speak of safety i for one will lissen whatever you or any one else has got to say
                    IN NO WAY WAS I TRING TO PICK A FIGHT

REGUARDLESS I BELEAVE THAT SAFTY IS KEY

NO MEANING TO BE RUDE BUT THE FIRST THREAD I VISITED HERE WAS THE MOLE THING I WAS HORRIFIED WHEN I READ THIS

I JUST THINK THAT D.I.Y. ADVICE SHOULD BE GIVEN WITH EXTREME CAUTION

AS TO WHAT I KNOW

YES A PROPERLY GROUNDED SYSTEM SHOULD TRIP THE OVER CURRENT DEVICE AT THE SENSE OF A FAULT

BUT IF THE METAL STUD WALL IS NOT MECHANICALLY CONNECTED TO
                    ANY PART O THE GROUNDING SYSTEM SUCH AS BUILDING STEEL
                    OR COLD WATER HOW IS IT GOING TO TRIP?

ALSO THE SCREW COULD HAVE PENETRATED THE OUTER COVERING AND THE INSULATION ON THE UNGROUNDED CONDUCTOR BUT NOT TOUCHED THE
                    GRUNDED OR GROUNDING CONDUCTORS THUS RELAYING VOLTAGE TO THE STUD WORK.

AM I WRONG??

Comment

Now we are talking like gentleman........

Originally posted by MD MASTER SPARKY
                      IN NO WAY WAS I TRING TO PICK A FIGHT
                      Your initial posts were so "overbearing" that I think it struck the wrong cord with some of us and perhaps things got out of control quickly.

REGUARDLESS I BELEAVE THAT SAFTY IS KEY
                      Agreed

NO MEANING TO BE RUDE BUT THE FIRST THREAD I VISITED HERE WAS THE MOLE THING I WAS HORRIFIED WHEN I READ THIS
                      I think we can all agree at this point that was probably not the best plan...

I JUST THINK THAT D.I.Y. ADVICE SHOULD BE GIVEN WITH EXTREME CAUTION
                      I tend to agree with you here as well. More often than not though, people on these forums are being safer than possibly your initial "Mole horror" thread might lead you to believe.

AS TO WHAT I KNOW

YES A PROPERLY GROUNDED SYSTEM SHOULD TRIP THE OVER CURRENT DEVICE AT THE SENSE OF A FAULT

BUT IF THE METAL STUD WALL IS NOT MECHANICALLY CONNECTED TO
                      ANY PART O THE GROUNDING SYSTEM SUCH AS BUILDING STEEL
                      OR COLD WATER HOW IS IT GOING TO TRIP?
                      Again, we have already established that I am not an electrical professional by trade. That may lead my next question to look pretty dumb, but I was thinking that if the service panel was grounded and would probably be connected to the stud wall at some point which should cause it to trip? Or is that not how things would be connected/mounted?

ALSO THE SCREW COULD HAVE PENETRATED THE OUTER COVERING AND THE INSULATION ON THE UNGROUNDED CONDUCTOR BUT NOT TOUCHED THE
                      GRUNDED OR GROUNDING CONDUCTORS THUS RELAYING VOLTAGE TO THE STUD WORK.

AM I WRONG??
                      As you are the professional, I would would not disagree.
                      oldslowchevy, I agree with what you said. MD MASTER SPARKY did bring up a few good worthwhile points and offered some good advice. I also let things get under my skin which I normally would not do and agree with getting back together as a group with good discussions that brought me here to begin with.

WWS
                      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

i think it is all plumbers moles fault

so i think we should all go to plumbers house and help dig up all the moles
                        and have MOLE-B-Q

and that way we can get back to normal

PS we will use a gas grill with out a rotisserie this uses electric and we know what might happen then

josh well done
                        you can also help at plumbers house to
                        Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 02-23-2006, 06:19 PM.
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Certainly did not intend to create a fuss. Was at my wits end with the damage to my property.

Other posters here convinced me not to ramp up my project and it ended. You can find a million things more dangerous being discussed daily on sites around the net.

There are at least 100 sites that teach kids how to make their vehicles go 200mph down crowded streets. Those sites are packed with paid advertisers who fear no lawsuits.

A person would be hard pressed to find a safer person on a jobsite than I. Even during a momentary lapse of judgement I took care to be sure no one including myself would be hurt. This forum can be very useful to people in many trades and competent DIYs. In fact this very forum convinced me to stop what was a dangerous idea from proceeding farther, so in the end it was a very good thing. Without this forum I would probably be spending this coming Saturday doing something very unadvisable.
                          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

see now people calm down!! it's only a forum!! if you don't like what's being written, then don't look!! simple solution!! take it easy!!

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK
                              i think it is all plumbers moles fault

so i think we should all go to plumbers house and help dig up all the moles
                              and have MOLE-B-Q

and that way we can get back to normal

PS we will use a gas grill with out a rotisserie this uses electric and we know what might happen then

josh well done
                              you can also help at plumbers house to
                              I'd prefer charcoal for my mole burger and I'll bring my cat along for some fun!!!

Aside from that, if a person is stupid and does things they know nothing about they can only blame themselves. If another person tries to help them and the advice it ignored or misunderstood again the problem is stupidity.
                              To blame an accident on a forum that is used to communicate ideas is ridiculous! That's what makes life so hard when you have inequality to the point where those that were once oppressed get better treatment that the people trying to make a honest living. We'd all get along much better if we could learn to respect people as individuals and quit trying to find reasons to sue someone.

An example of this is in my wifes family, Her brothers father in law had a divorce and was paying child support yet he still has the kids. Then who is the ex wife supporting? This whole world is going down the drain because we can't just get over things.

Like what my dad told me a few times when he and my mom would kiss, (and me being a little kid find it disgusting) I'd say yuck and my dad said if you don't want to see it don't look!

With my self I have worked on live circuits before and have never been shocked because i know how to do it safely. One thing i won't touch is a gas line! I'll do any other repair around the house but gas is for a professional.

Just play nice, a bad attitude to wards others has a way of attracted large quantities of verbal mud....
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by plumber
                                Without this forum I would probably be spending this coming Saturday doing something very unadvisable.
                                plumber, i was still waiting to see the results on the evening news.

i guess water and power don't mix

josh, maybe the electrical forum was not so good afterall

ridgid is plumbing. we don't need power

can't remember any plumbing topics this hot

woops, forgot about the flat rate thing

josh keep up the good work. you're the only moderator that actually moderates and participates.

a final suggestion. ban plumber for 1 day on the electrical forum. i guess he started it.

rick
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X