X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow

I AM A MASTER ELECTRICIAN LICENSED IN 4 STATES AND OVER 50 JURISDICTIONS I HAVE BEEN IN THE TRADE FOR OVER 25 YEARS

I HAVE BEEN MONOTORING THIS FORUM FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS
    AND I BELIEVE THIS SITE IS AN INSULT TO THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY AND TO THE ELECTRICAL TRADE

ARE THERE ANY MODERATORS ON THIS SITE??
    AND IF SO ARE ANY OF THEME LICENSED ELECTRICIANS??

I BELIEVE THAT ANY THREAD POSTED ON HERE WHICH IS DANGEROUS IN NATURE SHOULD IMMEDIATELY BE REMOVED SUCH AS THE MOLE THING
    OTHERS VEWING THIS STUFF AT HOME MAY ACTUALLY TRY TO DO THIS STUFF

A TRUE ELECTRICIAN WHO HAS ANY KNOLEDGE ABOUT ELECTRICITY AND WHAT IT CAN DO TO A PERSON WILL NEVER GIVE ANY D.I.Y TO HOME OWNERS FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT MANY THINGS CAN BE MISINTERPITED
    AND SOMEONE MAY DIE OR LOOSE THEIR HOME.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A COMPANY SUCH AS RIGID WOULD ALLOW
    THIS TO GO ON ON THEIR SITE
    SO PONDER THIS WHEN A HOME OWNER ASKS FOR ADVICE ON THIS FORUM
    THEN GOES ON TO DO THE WORK AND IETHER HAS MISINTERPITED THE ADVICE OR JUST PLAINLY DOES IT INCORRECTLY AND HIS HOUSE BURNS DOWN OR KILLS SOMEONE
    HIS NEXT STEP WILL BE TO A LAW OFFICE AND HE WILL SAY WELL I GOT MY ADVICE FROM THIS SITE
    WILL RIGID ACCEPT THE LIABILITY??

THIS SITE SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST BE MODERATED BY A QUALIFIED INIVIDUAL

Qualified Person. A person who has the skill and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and its installation. This person must have received safety training on the hazards involved with electrical systems.

I too have been monitoring this forum. I am extremely bothered by some of the stuff I've read. I agree 100% with Electricman and MD Master Sparky. The least that could be done would be to have a qualified person moderating this site. A word of advice to any licensed electricians helping these DIY'ers, you can be named in any lawsuit that arises out of that advice. Leave the electrical to the pros.

Comment

Finnaly Some Sense

Thank You !!!!

I,m Surprised That A Rigid Rep Has Not Posted Any Input

I'm Also Sure That Some Legal Action Can Be Taken To Have This Site Removed Or At The Very Least Properle Moderated.

As A Licensed Master Electrician And Contractor And Since I Have Nothing Better To Do I Will Be Contacting Rigid.

Comment

Alright guys... I have been watching and we do have moderators for the forums. We do not have an electrician on hand here to double check every post for accuracy. The easiest solution would be to get rid of the electricians forum but I feel that it brings value to the forum. You could apply your statements to just about every piece of advice given in this forum. For example if someone suggests a technique on sanding a woodworking piece and someone has a finger ripped off I dont see how that would warrant shutting down ridgidforums.com or sueing RIDGID.

I have posted an annoucnement of a disclaimer to make it more visible on the site. As far as people giving advice to one another I think that its assumed that advice on this board is "at your own risk" If I wanted to scrub this forum of all personal opinions, suggestions, recomendations, etc. that concievably could be twisted into something to sue over then the forums would need to be shut down. You could apply this mentality to every forum on the internet though.

BTW.. I think plumbers idea for removing moles is dangerous and a bit goofy but he was merely stating his idea. If you read the whole thread some guys jumped in and changed his mind about some ideas he had because they may have lead to unitended damage.

I am sure this will turn into a fairly large thread with a ton of opinions. I'll keep an eye on it.

Josh

Comment

"when You Assume You Make An *** Out Of You And Me"

Comment

ok but what about the tv shows that have carpenter doing wrong and unsafe things all the wrong info on the net oh and book stores tha sell outdated books and the liabry that have out dated books as well and the hardwhere stores that sell the tools to do the job my real question is this when will the home owner be held responable? if i did this stuff and hurt/killed some one wouldnt i be held responable?
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
              Alright guys... I have been watching and we do have moderators for the forums. We do not have an electrician on hand here to double check every post for accuracy. The easiest solution would be to get rid of the electricians forum but I feel that it brings value to the forum. You could apply your statements to just about every piece of advice given in this forum. For example if someone suggests a technique on sanding a woodworking piece and someone has a finger ripped off I dont see how that would warrant shutting down ridgidforums.com or sueing RIDGID.

I have posted an annoucnement of a disclaimer to make it more visible on the site. As far as people giving advice to one another I think that its assumed that advice on this board is "at your own risk" If I wanted to scrub this forum of all personal opinions, suggestions, recomendations, etc. that concievably could be twisted into something to sue over then the forums would need to be shut down. You could apply this mentality to every forum on the internet though.

BTW.. I think plumbers idea for removing moles is dangerous and a bit goofy but he was merely stating his idea. If you read the whole thread some guys jumped in and changed his mind about some ideas he had because they may have lead to unitended damage.

I am sure this will turn into a fairly large thread with a ton of opinions. I'll keep an eye on it.

Josh
              IF YOU AS A SENIOR MEMBER HERE "THINKS" THAT PLUMBERS IDEA IS DANGEROUS THEN WHY HAS IT NOT BEEN REMOVED??

AND HOW CAN YOU HAVE A FORUM TO SOLICIT D.I.Y ADVICE AND NOT HAVE THE QUALIFIED PERSONEL TO MODERATE ANY ADVICE GIVEN ??

I BELIVE THIS FORUM SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN !!!

Comment

A better plan.

Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Google for Electrical forums. I had over 1,900 valid returns in .013 seconds (over 13 million hits). For the safety of my family and myself (and any of those terrible DIY folks) I beg of you to contact them as well and verify "proper moderators" or have them removed as well.

Some examples of these include Ford and Dodge when discussing the electrical components in a vehicle (ever seen someone drop a tool across the posts on a car battery, or short a coil during an engine start?). I certainly don't know why anyone would ever work on their own vehicle, so dangerous!

Ever see a forum discussing general house remodeling? I read one the other day where a guy put on a new roof and after he was done he was surprised that part of it fell in cause he went cheap and used 1/4" plywood which did not survive a recent storm and nearly bonked his son in the upstairs bedroom. Don't know why people would ever remodel something on their own!

I found a forum last night on house plumbing. A guy was trying to hook up his outside grill to his natural gas line at the house so he wouldn't have to deal with those darn propane tanks. I don't even claim to be an expert on such things so I don't know exactly what went wrong, but seemed to be something with a regulator or gas flow at the BBQ was wrong and he burned up his new BBQ island built. Don't know why people ever try working with gas lines on their own?

And this other forum where a guy was discussing removing the blade guard from the tablesaw and one guy had tried that and whacked a finger (his username is actually nubby). That was terrible advice and no idea why anyone would accept tool or woodworking advice from a forum?

I can keep going, but really just hope that you get the idea and will continue to look out for me and my well being. Because even though "stuff" happens and some people make bad or ill informed decisions we should all know by now there is a professional in all trades and they should be the ONLY one doing such work. Especially when it comes to electricity, which is the most dangerous of all!

Thanks in advance!
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith
                  Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Google for Electrical forums. I had over 1,900 valid returns in .013 seconds (over 13 million hits). For the safety of my family and myself (and any of those terrible DIY folks) I beg of you to contact them as well and verify "proper moderators" or have them removed as well.

Some examples of these include Ford and Dodge when discussing the electrical components in a vehicle (ever seen someone drop a tool across the posts on a car battery, or short a coil during an engine start?). I certainly don't know why anyone would ever work on their own vehicle, so dangerous!

Ever see a forum discussing general house remodeling? I read one the other day where a guy put on a new roof and after he was done he was surprised that part of it fell in cause he went cheap and used 1/4" plywood which did not survive a recent storm and nearly bonked his son in the upstairs bedroom. Don't know why people would ever remodel something on their own!

I found a forum last night on house plumbing. A guy was trying to hook up his outside grill to his natural gas line at the house so he wouldn't have to deal with those darn propane tanks. I don't even claim to be an expert on such things so I don't know exactly what went wrong, but seemed to be something with a regulator or gas flow at the BBQ was wrong and he burned up his new BBQ island built. Don't know why people ever try working with gas lines on their own?

And this other forum where a guy was discussing removing the blade guard from the tablesaw and one guy had tried that and whacked a finger (his username is actually nubby). That was terrible advice and no idea why anyone would accept tool or woodworking advice from a forum?

I can keep going, but really just hope that you get the idea and will continue to look out for me and my well being. Because even though "stuff" happens and some people make bad or ill informed decisions we should all know by now there is a professional in all trades and they should be the ONLY one doing such work. Especially when it comes to electricity, which is the most dangerous of all!

Thanks in advance!
                  What he said.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

guys check this out

you all tell me who is liable or who will the courts see liable

http://www.local6.com/money/7302637/detail.html

Comment

No DIY'er there even the experts screw up.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

it will be a combo blame 1/4 on the electrions(i know its spelled wrong) that did the home and in florida i think but do not quote me on this is a $250,000 fine and loss of license for up to 5 years,and 3/4 on the inspector that signed off on the job and buy not having the wire starped or bundled he knows it is up the river big time that is not only how i will see it but i am sure that is how most will see it and if i am wrong i am sure i will here it here frist
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by ELECTRICMAN
                          guys check this out

you all tell me who is liable or who will the courts see liable

http://www.local6.com/money/7302637/detail.html
                          obviously ridgidforums.com is liable.

Seriously though. This forum isnt designed to teach DIY guys how to take on jobs they arent qualified for. This is a forum for discussing RIDGID tools and their use. They make this decision and take the risk into their own hands when they work with Electricity, Plumbing, HVAC, etc. I personally have done a lot of wirring on my own. I had my uncle teach me the ropes and have asked him questions when I ran into something that wasnt absoultuely perfect. And I have run into a circuit in my house when rewirring that was incorrect before I even moved in. People do dumb things including trying to save money on jobs that professionals should do.

MD MASTER SPARKY, Have you contacted the moderators of all the other forums on the web and demanded that they be shut down. You could extend your thinking to even shut down forums dealing with computer hardware. There are dangers in this world and some people are stupid. I feel that this forum does more good than bad. Some of the electricians on this forum pointed out that plumbers mole remvoving ideas were dangerous and prevented him from cranking up the voltage.

Take it for what it is. I believe this forum adds to safety by having professional opinions and advice available on the forum. If something is beyond someones abilities you will always see people telling them to hire somone for the job.

Josh

Comment

I agree with oldslowchevy on the liability.
                            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Whatever

I Have Visited Alot Of Diy Sites And All That I Have Visited Thus Far Do Have A Qualified Individual As A Moderator

You My Friend Are Not Qualified

Comment

Working...
                              X