Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well do you think it was a DIY that wired the other panel or someone purporting to be a professional? I also believe there is quite a bit more to commercial and industrial electrical work than that found in your average residence. I have seen some work by Licensed contractors that to me was unacceptable. So saying that hiring an electrician to solve all our electrical issues is the only way to be safe I believe is untrue. While they may be better equiped and have more experience I assure you while I don't have my electricians license I am more than capable of wiring all the basic circuits that you find in a residence. If I find something I don't understand I 'm sure I would consult an electrician. But to be honest with you basic residential wiring is not rocket science. By the way I wouldn't contract for this work because I don't have a license. But no problems doing it on my own properties or helping out family or friends.
    Last edited by bmartin; 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM.

Comment

So, what do you do for a living?

Comment

Landscape contractor. Also build some spec houses with my father.

Comment

bmartin, show me a diagram of how to wire a 4 way light circuit. Then a diagram of a switched receptacle with the top of it hot all the time. Then my friend you can say you can wire a residential house!! No looking in any books now!! Of course you will!! All handymen do!!

Comment

Thats easy. I don't use 4 ways in my house so I don't need to know how to wire them (I do use 3 ways). Also the only time I switch a receptacle with the top hot is for the dw/gd plug under a sink. I promise if I have to wire a 4 way switch I will call you. But your missing the point. It's not about what I do or don't know. It's about whether it's ever acceptable to give electrical advice on this forum to DIY'er. It's a fact of life that DIY is going to happen people can get advice here or at home depot. Hopefully the advice here will be better thanthe home depot.

Comment

BTW swoosh I can build a complete house from start to finish including plan drawing up to the C.O (4 1/2 complete so far). Insulting me to make your point isn't very nice.

Comment

Bmartin, stop a second and look back.

"I can do it all! I'm great!"

While they may be better equiped and have more experience I assure you while I don't have my electricians license I am more than capable of wiring all the basic circuits that you find in a residence.
                This comment is just pure 100% pride. Unfounded pride.

I can do my particular job well about 75% of the time. It's what I do for a living. That's truth.

Do what you do, but don't think just because it looks right, that it's as right as it should be. The untrained eye can't see a lot. Don't be so full of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bmartin
                  I have seen some work by Licensed contractors that to me was unacceptable. So saying that hiring an electrician to solve all our electrical issues is the only way to be safe I believe is untrue.
                  I think this thread has run WAY, WAY beyond any practical use. But I will say this.

The above statement is absolutely true.

I have been in the electrical game for 30 years and have seen licensed electricians that, either through incompetence or greed, have wired houses I wouldn't let my dog live in.

Case in point.....our hometown recently decided to require the local electricians to be licensed. They ended up having to grandfather all the oldtimers because none of them could pass the tests. They're all still working.

Case in point.....contractors that run aluminum in the building walls, then splice copper in just before the breaker box so the inspectors will pass it.

Yes I know that 99% of you are completely competent. The other 1% will be easy to pick out because they will be the ones that respond to this thread (probably with some @#%$#@& expletive about my Mother or something equally irrelevant.)

Fire away....I'll going back to the forums where they talk about electricity.

Comment

BTW swoosh I can build a complete house from start to finish including plan drawing up to the C.O (4 1/2 complete so far). Insulting me to make your point isn't very nice.
                    bmartin, i'm with you. i too feel that there are many so called professionals that are not anywhere close to being properly trained and licensed.

search the thread on underqualified "plumbers, contractors and inspectors"

this can be said for electricians too.

it's very easy to spot them at a plumbing supply house. i'm sure you sparkys can spot them at the electrical supply house too.

they are the ones that should be going to a hardware store and not wasting everyones time at the supply house.
                    if they need to ask the counter person for help, (code, name that part, etc.) they don't know their trade.
                    nothing like having to wait behind people that don't even know what to call a fitting. they would be better off shopping at a store with everything on display.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Not full of my self. Swoosh just questioned my competance. GOod luck guys too much finger pointing here for me.

Comment

Wow, all I did was ask him what he does for a living. Huh?

Anyway, y'all be careful - in what ever you do.

Comment

It's amazing josh hasn't posted a "CALM DOWN" on this thread yet!

Thats easy. I don't use 4 ways in my house so I don't need to know how to wire them that's on way to avoid a question(I do use 3 ways). Also the only time I switch a receptacle with the top hot is for the dw/gd plug under a sink. Is it to hard to explain how you do it or would it bruise your pride if you may have done it wrong? I promise if I have to wire a 4 way switch I will call you. Sarcasm need i say more.But your missing the point. He's not the only one.... It's not about what I do or don't know. hu?????????It's about whether it's ever acceptable to give electrical advice on this forum to DIY'er. Translation,"It's about whether it's ever acceptable to give electrical advice on this forum to DIY'ers like myself. It's a fact of life that DIY is going to happen people can get advice here or at home depot. Hopefully the advice here will be better than the home depot.
                          At home depot the most help you get if you are lucky is what Ilse the romex is on.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                          bmartin, I'm with you. i too feel that there are many so called professionals that are not anywhere close to being properly trained and licensed.
                          While that is true it some of use are still learning, like me i have 2.25 years left in school.
                          search the thread on underqualified "plumbers, contractors and inspectors"

this can be said for electricians too.

it's very easy to spot them at a plumbing supply house. I'm sure you sparkys can spot them at the electrical supply house too.
                          I have seen them take 20 min just to find the right outlet for a 15 amp circuit. All you have to do is read the outside of the packaging!!!
                          they are the ones that should be going to a hardware store and not wasting everyones time at the supply house.
                          if they need to ask the counter person for help, (code, name that part, etc.) they don't know their trade.
                          nothing like having to wait behind people that don't even know what to call a fitting. they would be better off shopping at a store with everything on display.
                          Even at the hardware stores they're the ones that don't understand you can't have an outlet above your bathtub. We did a home in Payson Utah where the guy just added an outlet in his bathroom for a TV over his tub. With brains like that how did he get the money to afford that house.

Why not just say what you do know and quite beating around the bush. I can draw a diagram for 4 way switching and for a split cirtuit/ switched outlet. Both are not that hard.
                          Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 03-03-2006, 01:47 AM.
                          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

polar,

i know how to look up the proper wiring for a 4 way switch too. ( 3 or more switches that controll the same light) and also a split outlet too. although in l.a. they don't like it. rather use 2 separate outlets with a common nueatral. too easy to get 240 volts if the person replacing the outlet doesn't know about breaking off the tab.

i couldn't draw it on the computer and post it. shoot i can't even figure out how to download a spell check program.
                            when you figure the spell check out, please foward it to me too

just like in plumbing, we have tons of formulas for offsets. as long as i know how to use them and apply them, then no problem. sort of like when calculators first came out. (i know i sound like an old timer). we still learned how to do it long hand. now with calculators, the youngsters don't learn long hand.

once again polar, i tend to agree with bmartin. if he needs to research the proper wiring, he can look it up and make sense out of it. same goes with our code book. hundreds of pages. as long as we are familiar with the code and know right from wrong, we can always look up the tables. just too much info for all the formulas. just like you can't remember all the ampacities of copper and alum. from 14 - 750 mcm. you know how to look it up and apply it properly.

give bmartin a little slack. he is only voicing his opinion. and from the sound of it, he is more than a diy'er.

bmartin, if the sparkys won't help you, the plumbers will. just ask.

let's just get over the fact that there are always going to be people that will do things themselves or at least attempt it first. if they are coming to these forums, they are looking for advise, not a lecture

i've always offered free advise. even with my own clients. i don't lecture them. if it's over their head, i'll advise them.

rick.

time to move onto a more productive topic.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

josh is on vac sitting on a Sunny beach drinking a margarita
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

No bmartin you brought your competence(notice my correct spelling) into this discussion. In 90% of the residential houses we wire there are plenty of 4 ways and switched receptacles(from $100,000 to $750,000 dollar houses). When your gonna act like your the man I'm gonna call you out and show you that your not!! Stick to your rake and shovel!!

Comment

Working...
                                X