No announcement yet.

Is there a Moderator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm not an electrician, I'm just peeking in fron upsatairs at the plumbing forums. Our forums have been around for a couple of years, but I can tell you that we had to kick each others asses around before everyone settled down, and knew who was who. I, and alot of the plumbers up there thought that an electrician's forum was a pretty good idea, so welcome.

So my advice is to stay with it. If someone is a fraud, point it out. The cream will come to the top. But I'm sure you will learn based on the view points of fellow workers in your trade across the country. We plumbers have all come to value the forum, I'm sure you will too.

I'm butting out now.

the dog
    the dog

Comment

Why are you harping on the 4 way switch,

A 3-way switch is a SPDT switch.
      A 4-way switch is a cross-connected DPDT switch.

It goes between two three way to give an extra location to turn on and off a light from more than two locations, and you can use as many as you want (In theory) for mulipital locations for a light switches,

The directions are on the side of most boxes they come in, as well as most "Home" how to books,

MY guess is if he can wire up a three way correctly and pass Inpections he will do fine if he has a need to wire in a 4 way,

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...4way/index.htm

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/sw...WayStills.html
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

the self-help is a nice website thanks

charlie
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

BHD let's see a diagram then. I think your all a bunch of handymen. All the advice that goes on your right you can get it from a how to handyman book. All questions I've ever asked people don't know the answer to them so till ya'll do get off my ***!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10

I'm butting out now.

the dog
            hope that wasn't a plumber crack joke

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

swoosh81 Please click on the url below,

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...mith/4-way.htm

and it will open up a page so you can see how to wire the 4 way switches in your home, or homes you are wiring,

first of all I do not know how to post a picture on this web site so drawing the digram and posting it is out of the question?
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

exactly all you handymen need websites like that!!

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81
                  exactly all you handymen need websites like that!!
                  Swoosh, go take a hike. If you're not going to have respect for others here and do nothing but insult people to inflate your own ego and questionable skills then there are a thousand other sites you may be happier on, OK? There, that's a good little sparky.

Comment

Respect is a 2 way street my plumber friend!!

Comment

Well, I tell ya what folks, that settles it for me. I am now on the Respecting Swoosh Superhighway. How could I have been so blind?

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81
                        Respect is a 2 way street my plumber friend!!
                        Indeed, it is. And from what I have seen so far on this thread, everybody has been more or less civil except you.

I honestly can't stand guys who comes on sites like these just to smugly tell people they don't know what they're doing and call a "pro". What point is there in that? Are sites like these somehow threatening your living? I don't think so. They exist to help out average homeowners and people without alot of cash to fix things themselves.....you know, those good old self-sufficient ideals this country was built on and by. If some Johnny homeowner wants to come on here and ask about how to wire up a 3 phase circuit, and he fries himself, that's on him. Nobody forced him to try and tackle a job he's not prepared for. He comes on a site like this to ask for advice from people who can't even see the job and does'nt even know.....logic would tell a trained monkey to take that advice into consideration, but not to hold anything up anyone says in these forums like the Holy Grail.....including anything you have to say. However, it is almost totalitarian and repressive to suggest that people cannot congregate on a site such as this being amateurs, to discuss construction fields. It's a free country, last time I checked, and I believe we can be here to discuss anything we wish to. Unless they have made you the new FCC chairman.

If you have something useful or constructive or helpful to say or add, by all means help out! That's what everyone's here for.....to give and recieve help. If you just want to proselytize about how smart you are and how dumb and un-qualified others are, there are other websites you would find more your style. Honestly, I get upset at a few un-named plumbers in this site also who have that same attitude from time to time, telling people to call a pro and blah blah. It is fine to advise someone they may be over their head, but far be it from me to ever desire to curtail the free flow of information and opinion from anyone who seeks it for themselves. What they do with it afterwards is their responsibility. Welcome to America, my electrician friend.

Comment

Some feel they need to protect what they know for the sake of their trade or their job. I feel it is my responsibillity to share what I have learned in the last 35-years. Too many young guys are learning the wrong way to do it. I also spend a couple hours each year in refresher classes amnd new codes so I can keep up with changes.

One thing I need to be more careful with is making sure whomever I am explaining things to is capable of safely handling the task.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

No wonder sparkys get such a bad rep....... If respect is a two way street wouldn't you want to give respect to get it or should the number of capital letters in a post earn it for you? Does respect come when you are not kind to others on line? If respect is a 2 way street maybe you should pay attention to your roadsigns and get off the one way street you have been cruising on.

O ya to save you the trouble,
                            What the heck are you talking about? Get off your high horse and you'll get more respect as you show it to others.

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE UNTO YOU!
                            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

AZ,Utah,and polar my hat is off to you guys.If swoosh81 and a few others on here donot understand what you three just wrote,then they should just stay off this site and we will all be happier!!!
                              A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Here I will spell it out for all you handymen, GET A LIFE!!! LEARN HOW TO DO ONE TRADE AND NOT BE A JACK OF ALL MASTER OF NONE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X