X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Moderator

That can check the IP adresses of all these new experts that are rolling in? I am not really a betting man but I feel there is just one person that is signing up under different names trying to flood and ruin this forum.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

What Gives You That Clue? PEOPLE THAT TYPE LIKE THIS Or Like This? It Would Not Suprise Me (boy that was hard on my pinky)
    Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

I had thought 36 volt came back claiming to be a sparky.......the personality was a little off.

It would be great to be able to track their isp and find if the same person logs on under different identities to talk to themselves. You could have done it the easy way like Phil G
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

One man, many names.

Hi Guys,
        Interesting that you should also think there is one guy showing up under different alias. I thought that two as I noticed the join up date on some of the "people" (experts???) in question all seemed to sign up at the same time!
        I didn't say anything at first because I thought maybe I was being paranoid, but seeing others thoughts on it, I have to agree. Jim D.
        BTW Saw similar thing happen late last year in the Milwaukee Tool forum.
        Just my two cents worth of info I guess.

Comment

We never walked on the moon, Elvis ain't dead,
          You ain't going crazy, it's all in your head...

The mole thread popped up on a different forum. Some people who've come here to heckle I recognize from that forum, the dude from MD isn't among them.

I have no intention of ruining your forum. And having a conversation with myself is just plain comical.

Comment

I visit some other electrical forums and on one of the sites someone posted a link to the mole problem as a joke. Honestly that is how I got here but it worked out because the plumbing and woodworking info is pretty helpfull. I don't sweat the electricians most (not all) think nobody can perform electrical work unless they are pro's. What about when they were learning I'm sure that did plenty of electrical work that was "Best left for the pros". I am not an electrician but I am a landscape contractor and I build 1-2 houses a year and some of the questions that the electrical apprentices ask seem very simple. Also makes me happy that I do my own electrical on my houses. I say just ignore those with the holier than thou attitude, they will go away soon enough.

Comment

AMEN bmartin
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

For the record: I, myself never said that electrical work, or plumbing, or A/C, should be left to the pros. The state that I live says so. It's the law.

I did not learn the trade from being a DIY. I went through an extensive apprenticeship, studied, and past both a journeyman's test and a contractor's (or master's) test.

My only concern is that there is a liability issue when a DIY post is answered by anybody, pro or "semi" pro. I don't call or e-mail my doctor or lawyer and ask their opinion. I go see them. Yeah, I hate having to pay his price, but at least I know that he has sufficient information to give an informed opinion.

Sure, I dropped in here following the mole thing. Not to hide behind a different log-in name, like some, but the same one I use on the other site.

We have a local DIY radio call in show on AM radio here. The guy gives good advice. He may tell someone how to change a switch or a faucet washer or the like, but he will steer clear of giving advice that goes very deep.

Believe me, my motivation is not pride or arrogance. I would just hate for somebody to get hurt due to a home repair gone bad.

Comment

Where I am from and I believe most states say you can perform electrical work in your own home. If you see bad advice and know it's bad advice say something about it. If you are so worried about the liability you have two choices. Give proper advice that when followed will give safe predictable results or don't say anything and that means no negative remarks. I would guess more DYI people get hurt using saws and tractors than by electrical work so I wouldn't lose any sleep about a little common sense electrical advice. Common sense means although most can handle changing plugs and installing lights you might recommend the pro for the service change. I've only been to this site for a few days but all the negative on the electrical forum is getting old. By the way this is n't the only DIY electrical forum on the internet.

Comment

"....Give proper advice that when followed will give safe predictable results or don't say anything and that means no negative remarks.... "

it may sound like I am flip-flopping here, but I don't think it is as cut and dried as you state above.

The person who may give proper advice, however correct it may be, has no control over how it is interpreted or used, so I don't think one could safely say that safe, predictable results would follow. As for not making negative comments, I don't agree with the opinion above either.

To me there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion, offering an alternate view, or stating that you outright disagree. It is the method used to put those views before the body (this forum) that I had trouble with as far as the topic of this thread (electrical DIY). If those who were so concerned had used a different approach to raise their safety and technical concerns, there might have been less friction and greater acceptance of their views. To me whether their opinion was right or wrong was not the issue, it was the gestapo-type authoritarian attitude which caused all the ruckus that I disagreed with.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I don't have a problem with difference in opinions but there were a lot of comments about closing this forum, people are going to kill themselves and I believe there was even one calling people here morons. That is the type of negative remoarks that aren't helpfull. Also I know just because you give good advice dosn't mean the project will be successfull. But that is the best you can do. I believe if I give someone good sound advice what they do with it is they're business. I can't make them follow that anymore than I can make them wear a seatbelt. But I won't lose any sleep about giving good sound advise that
                      when followed properly by an intelligent individual will accomplish there job.

Comment

"I believe if I give someone good sound advice what they do with it is they're business. I can't make them follow that anymore than I can make them wear a seatbelt. But I won't lose any sleep about giving good sound advise that when followed properly by an intelligent individual will accomplish the job."

agreed.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bmartin
                          Where I am from and I believe most states say you can perform electrical work in your own home. .

so where are you from????
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

California.

Comment

bmartin

Well, there are also several states that will not allow home owner permits. Here, only licensed tradesmen can do the work, and only licensed contractors can contract. Travelers that come here and sign the books, that don't have a state licence, don't get sent out as journeymen.

You said something about not losing any sleep over DIY advice.

About 6 years ago I replaced a panel in an small manufacturing building. Later, that building burned down and was identified as an electrical fire. Turns out, the fire was in a circuit from a different panel. I spent many sleepless nights, before and after they found the fault of the fire. I would be devastated if someone was hurt in a electrical fire at a place where I had worked, regardless of fault.

FIW, I don't give DIY advice to my family and friends. The state my brother lives in allows home owner permits. He asked me about adding a hot tub circuit. I told him to hire an electrical contractor.

That's the way I see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X