X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ..... fan lights buzzing

We recently changed a couple of ceiling fans in our house so while I was doing this, I decided to put dimmers on all the ceiling fans in the house (6 of them). The dimmers switches look like a regular light switch except there is a small slide next to it that controls the power going to the lights.

All the switches work fine, but 2 of the lights have started making kind of a faint buzzing sound. The sound is coming from near the lights and not the switch. I believe all the fans are Hunters.

Anyone ever have this happen to them or know what could be the cause of it?

Bob R

i have had the same problem with that in the past i had to put the reguler switches back in and install remotesunder the fans mounting base this has worked very good for me ithink the buzz you here is due to the lowwer than normal voltage but i may be wrong
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Oh brother

Comment

I did some more research and it appears to be a common problem and most people suggest changing to heavy duty bulbs. I'll give that a try.

Bob R

Comment

They make a dehummer dimmer switch for ceiling fans. This is a common problem unless your spending in excess of $500 for a ceiling fan. Heavy duty light bulbs won't help much, if you can even find them for a ceiling fan!!

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81
            This is a common problem unless your spending in excess of $500 for a ceiling fan.
            Can you explain what led you to write this? What on earth does the buzzing of dimmed lamps have to do with the price of the ceiling fan?

Heavy duty light bulbs won't help much...
            Funny, I was thinking that might help a lot.

...if you can even find them for a ceiling fan!!
            While you're at it, can you explain this? Most ceiling fans use plain old light bulbs. Other variations are probably available in 130V.

Comment

Post removed for Profanity
              Last edited by Josh; 03-08-2006, 09:09 AM.

Comment

nasty nasty
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Sparky
                  Can you explain what led you to write this? What on earth does the buzzing of dimmed lamps have to do with the price of the ceiling fan?

Funny, I was thinking that might help a lot.

While you're at it, can you explain this? Most ceiling fans use plain old light bulbs. Other variations are probably available in 130V.
                  36 VOLT AND MD MASTER SPARKY ARE BACK!

There are lights that have been made especially for fans, and sometimes it is the switch that can cause problems. You get what you pay for if you have a cheap fan like a cheap blender, both will make more noise than a higher quality product.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO KIND ADVICE?
                  Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM.
                  "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                  "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Just like a brain and a wagon the lighter the load the more noise they make.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Listen a**hole all you do is jump me about sh*t and I'm fed up with it!!
                      Dude, I don't even know you. I don't know what I said to set you off. Normally I would care. Given your response, I don't. I could care less how much time you have in, what your license says, whatever. If my own father makes a stupid comment, I would post and say, "Why do you say this?" It's not to disrespect anybody, it's to seperate truth from fiction.

I can verify every f**king thing I type!
                      Then show us some specs!

Ceiling fans under that price range are known to be cheap Hunter, Hampton Bay, etc.
                      My point is, dimmed lamps hum. Water is wet, the sky is blue, and when you dim an incandescent lamp, it makes some noise. Whether it's in a can, or a mushroom, a keyless, a ceiling fan, - it doesn't matter, a lamp is going into it. That lamp is making noise.

Cheap fans hum. But it's the fan humming, not the lamps in the light kit of the fan. It looks like a ridiculous statement, without substantiation. I am perfectly willing to eat crow if you can explain how a cheap fan will make lamps hum more than a pricey fan will.

In closing let's see your f**kin' master electrician's license cause I'll sure as f**k show you mine!!
                      Forgive me if I don't cower at that. I help master electricians, and master electricians help me. Most of the best electricians I've seen and talked to haven't bothered to get their master, many are very content with their journeyman.

Rank determines your wages and your ability to legally perform electrical work unsupervised. It is no indicator of knowledge or sense. I've seen fellas climb out of a trench, take a memorization class, and pass a test. What do you wind up with? A ditch digger with a chip on his shoulder and a license. Big deal.

You bait me, here I am. Colorado Residential Wireman #*****. Look it up yourself, the website isn't working for me.

Originally posted by Polar Sparky
                      There are lights that have been made especially for fans...
                      Can you elaborate? Are you talking about candlabra base globes? I'm just not picturing it.

Who is 36 Volt, and should I be offended?

Editted to remove license number. I figure it's been up long enough to demonstrate to everybody that I am, in fact, licensed as an electrician in my state.
                      Last edited by Rocky Mountain Sparky; 03-12-2006, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I have seen some so-called vibration bulbs. I think they were GE they cam with the fan i was installing.

As for 36 Volt look at the member list and you can find some of his posts. He came across as condescending and rude in his responses and made others a bit touchy as well as me. I may be young but i am not a total moron!
                        He needed to know how to talk with others, I don't appreciate being called stupid in the responses, if a person is wrong they always take it better if others are nice about it but you do get what you put in.
                        Think of it like getting a kid to eat cottage cheese, it works better if you sneak in some pineapples in.
                        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                          I have seen some so-called vibration bulbs. I think they were GE they cam with the fan i was installing.
                          I reckon I'll do a search and look them up.

I may be young but i am not a total moron!
                          Hey, I turned 26 today. The way I see it is, one way to learn is to be corrected. I can't count the number of times I've made a erroneous statement, to have the truth thrown in my face. Everybody being grown-up is key to it as well. People who write in a direct manner are seldom misunderstood.

Comment

Sorry to have started all this, but just wanted to give an update. Switching to heavy duty bulbs eliminated the humming.

Thanks for the help.

Bob R

Comment

In closing let's see your f**kin' master electrician's license cause I'll sure as f**k show you mine!!
                              I'm waiting...

Comment

Working...
                              X